BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. I have an 03 k1200LT and wondering if there should always be draw in the battery. Last fall, my battery would be dead if the bike was not used for several days. When I replaced the battery this spring, there was a pretty decent spark when I hooked the battery up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yes they do have power draw, the figure has been quoted in older posts, a spark on connection is normal, unless you hook the battery up back to front then its one big shit show.

Reactions: niel_petersen

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,191 Posts
I have measured a steady state - key off current of just 5 milliamps on my 05 and similar low currents on the older bikes. Any thing measured above 5 to 10 ma should be investigated. I had one bike in that had over 100 ma draw and it turned out to be an aftermarket active antenna replacement. It was NOT wired to switched current and would kill the battery in a couple of days. The big spark on connection is normal as capacitors in the ECU charge up.

There is a known issue with some radios and radio controllers not having the correct SW version. The fix is to always turn off the radio before you kill the engine.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
DC to DC converters used to come up with 5 volts dc for some electronics can also cause excessive draw. The plan is to keep your bike on a smart trickle charger most of the time not in use. You have found out by unfortunate events. Don't try to start your bike with a dead/very low battery, things can get worse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I have not had a chance to look into it further but will plan to before the snow melts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts