BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 BMW K1200LT that had originally 37,000 miles on it and one original owner. I know the owner very well since he gave me the motorcycle for free. I ride all kinds of bikes and own many but never a BMW. Well, I have to say that I am hooked. I don't ride my 2009 Harley StreetGlide anymore because of it. Only when all my Harley buddies want to go ride to the bar because that's what most do anyway. I have owned the bike now for over 2 years and it currently has 78,000 miles on it. My issue is when I put it in reverse and press on the button up top it starts backing up but then at about 4 seconds of backing up it stops and then I have to push the button again to get it to go again. When I picked the bike up my friend told me that when he had it serviced before I picked it up the shop said we might need to look at the relay for the reverse doesn't seem to be working as it supposed to. Does anyone know which relay module that is.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Your symptom is the classic reverse speed sensor failure. It is on the transmission on the right side and you can get to it by removing the right side foot plate. May want to follow the wiring up to make sure it is connected first. It is connected up just behind the fuel pump area of the tank. Often you can find these on e-bay.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts