BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an experienced BMW rider having owned five BMW's over the years, however, I will own my first LT (2008) in a few days and am new to this site. My previous audio system experience has been through the use of various products tied to an Autocom System. My LT will have the standard audio system with a single cd player. The LT also comes with the NavIII. Anyone have any suggestions and experience with integrating XM Radio and MP3 players? I also have a Garmin Nuvi 550, which has GPS, MPS and Satallite (I have a Garmin GXM30 antenna). Anyone know if the Garmin can be integrated into the system?

I appreciate any information. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Re: K1200LT Audi System Suggestion

Your question opens up quite wide area for discussion, but as very short and general comment:

Any good aftermarket intercom-system (Autocom, Starcom, Baehr) offers a possibility to integrate external systems and telephones either through cabling (for example std 3,5mm plug) or Bluetooth.

The configurations and possibilities vary but basically everything is possible.

I do have Autocom running

- BMW/LT radio / CD
- MP3-Player or other external source of audio signal
- GPS (Garmin) through cabling
- Bike-to-bike PMR-radio
- Bluetooth module to intregrate in my mobile

So it can be done. Is it easy? Depends on your wishes, own skills and expected functionality. If you can find a good sales rep / channel for the comm device they are able to advice you in the configuration / needed equipment and accessories.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C-A-D,

I have an Autocom Superpro Automatic. I also have some experience installing sound systems on other BMW's which had no saound systems to begin with. I see, according to your response, you use an Autocom. Do you route additional devices, such as MP3 player to Autocom and then connect the Autocom to the LT's sound system via the 3.5 mm jack? Does this allow for the device(s) to be controlled through the LT's audio system, such as volume, track, etc.?

Thanks for your input.

Will

·
Registered
594 Posts
My configuration and equipment is as follows:

- BMW (CD)radio
- Autocom SuperPro AVI
- Starcom bluetooth module (connected to Autocom phone connection) providing connection to mobile
- As a navigator I use Garmin Nüvi 1490 (having cable 3,5mm connection to Autocom
- As MP3-player I do use my iPhone connected to Autocom with 3,5mm cable
- Bike-To-bike connection through PMR(=European CB)-phone connected to Autocom

BMW's radio is integrated to AutoCom through signal level converter from rear speaker lines. So everything is feeding AutoCom as I want everything "in to my helmet". So there is no need to for example feed MP3.signal to radio/speakers. If you do have "Aux"-connection to your radio (I do not) - guess you can integrate MP3 there and further to Autocom. I have seen quite a few complaints though of low signal level when connecting this way. AND ALL MY COMMENTS from the backround of not having any BMW-"audio/intercom-system" - only BMW radio and AutoCom.

I haven't tried to integrate MP3-players controls to bikes audio controls as I do not feel the need for that. Mostly I do listen the radio :eek: or use "random-option" of iPhone. It is possible to get iPod-integrating equipment to replace CD-changer/box if you happen to have one in the right saddle bag. I do not remember the brand but somebody here will tell you :) I am pretty sure.

Cheers: Seppo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Autocom as normal. Use 2273 or 2275 . The later has a switch to choose between the speakers and the Autocom. This will take factory sound and output to music input of Autocom.

Just use Zumo Interface to GPS input and connect phone either hardwired or to Bluetooth module.

This option will provide the best in sound quality if installed and configured properly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have had Autocom, Baehr & now Starcom on various bikes over the years. So far I am very happy with the Starcom and recommend it. I rate the Baehr 1st, Starcom 2nd & Autocom 3rd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had Autocom, Baehr & now Starcom on various bikes over the years. So far I am very happy with the Starcom and recommend it. I rate the Baehr 1st, Starcom 2nd & Autocom 3rd.
I have a 2004 bike with low mileage: only 28,000 kms. Recently my sound system has stopped working. The window has fogged up. I have changed the #8 fuse on thje centre box but still no response. Is this a humidity problem? If so, what are the solutions? Is the system toast? (I love slunds as I travel Alberta roads.... If you've ever been there, you will understand.)
:frown:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fogged window on mine was hazy like plastic headlights get. BMW guy next door said wipe the window with denatured alcohol to clean it. DA works GREAT but just a swipe or two. The stuff dries really quick. I tried to "polish" mine with a half dozen quick swipes... The rag stuck to the lens in about swipe #4 or 5.
4 years later I can still read the display!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had fogged lens on my radio. Had the guy fix that when he fixed the fogged car headlights. Seems to be oxidized plastic.

Search the forum for radio for issues w/ sound going out. I'm on my third LT. This one had intermittent cut out, and recently failed to right rear speaker only. Doesn't seem like an easy fix. :-(

·
Registered
24 Posts
The speakers have gone in my 2003 LT. the radio is on its way to chrischenusa (a BMW member). He replaces the amplifiers in the radio with more powerful ones. Has good reviews on the site. My radio is coming from Australia as local guys aren’t sure if they can fix it and BMW are quoting $1,500 for a new unit. This may be an option for you. Cheers. Colin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts