BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I am looking to acquire/purchase an alarm (BMW Control Unit DWA P# 65757678934) working or nonworking for a 2007 K1200LT. The alarm on my LT was bypassed before I purchased it rendering the courtesy lights and luggage locks nonfunctioning. I have a background in electronics engineering, have studied the wire diagram for the alarm system and I believe I can design/build a black box that can restore these functions while bypassing the immobilizer. But I need an alarm (working or non working) so I can dissect it. I would also be interested as to what the point of failure was.

If you have an alarm for a 2005-2009 LT in any condition you are willing to sell please send me a note, I will pay for shipping. If the project is successful maybe others might enjoy having the courtesy lights and luggage locks returned to service. Direct email is [email protected]

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,341 Posts
It will be pretty hard to dissect it as it is fully potted. Normal failure mode is the internal battery shorts out and blows the fuse to the alarm, brake lights and horn. Some time this does not take out the alarm function like immobilizer but you have to cut the red wire to keep from blowing fuses and the central locking still works from switched power.

• Helpful
Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, Thanks I hadn't seen the inside of one of these yet. If the potting material is epoxy a heat gun at 220 degrees F will do the trick, anything else would be trail and error starting around 150 degrees F and continuing upward. My intent is not to fix a broken one, it is to identify components, wire size (for amp rating) and any other clues so that I can produce a black box that duplicates all but the immobilizer. so doing more damage really isn't a concern. If you are willing to sell that one I would be willing to buy it assuming it is the part number I mentioned above.

Respectfully,
Rich

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,341 Posts
Sorry already in the trash pile. I tried heat but the stuff was stubborn and very hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guitarjim, The wire diagram shows that the 2001 to 2005 Alarm excluded those accessories I am looking to get functioning again, the luggage case locks and the courtesy lights. So I appreciate your reaching out but unfortunately it will not allow me to dissect your unit with any success toward my current project.

I will say that looking at your version of the alarm it appears the tilt and siren function could be restored without the immobilizer. I could look into that project once I am done with the 2006-2009 alarm project if anyone is interested in that.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,341 Posts
The alarm controls the central locking as well as the map and puddle lights on the 05 +. Central locking with a hidden push button would be the easiest to develop, not sure why anyone would want an alarm anyway no one has ever stolen an LT. I just leave the key in the ignition and put the bike in reverse. They will never figure out how to start it.🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, I am looking to acquire/purchase an alarm (BMW Control Unit DWA P# 65757678934) working or nonworking for a 2007 K1200LT. The alarm on my LT was bypassed before I purchased it rendering the courtesy lights and luggage locks nonfunctioning. I have a background in electronics engineering, have studied the wire diagram for the alarm system and I believe I can design/build a black box that can restore these functions while bypassing the immobilizer. But I need an alarm (working or non working) so I can dissect it. I would also be interested as to what the point of failure was.

If you have an alarm for a 2005-2009 LT in any condition you are willing to sell please send me a note, I will pay for shipping. If the project is successful maybe others might enjoy having the courtesy lights and luggage locks returned to service. Direct email is [email protected]
I have one i deleted. Still need it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rhines - I was able to source one, Thank you. I have three products on the design bench at the moment. The first is a prewired bypass that has all the bypass wiring already done fitted to a BMW connector. Anyone with a failed alarm can simply unplug their alarm and plug in the bypass plug and they are done. These will be ready around the first of the year for 2005 and later models. Second is a "black box" that will return all light and luggage functions - 80% solution on this one. Third and last is a complete replacement alarm with or without immobilizer. I will post when these are ready.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Rhines - I was able to source one, Thank you. I have three products on the design bench at the moment. The first is a prewired bypass that has all the bypass wiring already done fitted to a BMW connector. Anyone with a failed alarm can simply unplug their alarm and plug in the bypass plug and they are done. These will be ready around the first of the year for 2005 and later models. Second is a "black box" that will return all light and luggage functions - 80% solution on this one. Third and last is a complete replacement alarm with or without immobilizer. I will post when these are ready.
That sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Alarm Bypass Connector prototype is complete. It uses the exact replacement BMW 12 pin connector so anyone needing to bypass a nonfunctioning alarm simply unplugs the alarm - inserts the Bypass Connector and ride! No need to cut and splice wires. All parts are new and assembly is done by me so quality control is high. I am assembling the first run of 30 Alarm Bypass Connectors and will post availability as soon as they are ready.

Next step is the Alarm Bypass with Luggage Locks and "Puddle Lights" restored. I am a few weeks away from completing that circuit and will test run in on my LT for a while.

Electrical supply Cable Wire Electrical wiring

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,341 Posts
Nice where did you source the plug, I looked and could not find it?

Also this will not work on a pre-05 unless you cut pin 2 out of the 10, 2, 6 jumper. They changed how they power the flashers for 05 +. This will cause the lights to be on all the time on an early bike. Keep it up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guitarjim, The wire diagram shows that the 2001 to 2005 Alarm excluded those accessories I am looking to get functioning again, the luggage case locks and the courtesy lights. So I appreciate your reaching out but unfortunately it will not allow me to dissect your unit with any success toward my current project.

I will say that looking at your version of the alarm it appears the tilt and siren function could be restored without the immobilizer. I could look into that project once I am done with the 2006-2009 alarm project if anyone is interested in that.
I thought the changes in the alarm system changed in 2005, not 2006?

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
I wish I had seen this discussion earlier. I have the alarm system from my 2009 sitting on a shelf. It was removed when the internal battery died.
It's neat what you are doing here; the LT community will certainly benefit from it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Alarm Bypass Connector prototype is complete. It uses the exact replacement BMW 12 pin connector so anyone needing to bypass a nonfunctioning alarm simply unplugs the alarm - inserts the Bypass Connector and ride! No need to cut and splice wires. All parts are new and assembly is done by me so quality control is high. I am assembling the first run of 30 Alarm Bypass Connectors and will post availability as soon as they are ready.

Next step is the Alarm Bypass with Luggage Locks and "Puddle Lights" restored. I am a few weeks away from completing that circuit and will test run in on my LT for a while.

View attachment 172081
Totally new here on this forum!

I made a barn find : a 2006 K1200LT ( low milage ) that has been idle for at least 2 years...
I was not able to make a test drive, nor to start the engine. The only thing I could do was to connect an auxiliary battery with jumper cables : the dashboard lit up and the fuel pump made noise.
Due to snow and frost I will only be able to pick it up next sunday!

During the past days I did some research and that's how I ended up on the forum.
Am curious what will work and what will not......
Mainly the Alarm w Central Locking of the cases together with the radio / CD system seem to be a concern ....

In the event that the alarm would not function, why do you have to bypass it? Is it not possible just to leave it as it is, or unplug it?
What is the advantage of the Bypass Connector?
What are ' Puddle lights ' ? I don't believe it has those...

I also think I will remove the BMW CD-player ( or is it a Radio / CD combination...? ) to be able to use the entire glove box.
However, I would like to be able to listen to the music on my iPhone ( and charge it ) using the speakers and the steering buttons.
I saw some solutions which use the CD-changer plug of the CD-player to connect an extra BT-interface , but I haven't seen a solution which eliminates the CD-player.

Any comment will be appreciated!

31 / 5000

Vertaalresultaten

26 / 5000

Vertaalresultaten

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Totally new here on this forum!

I made a barn find : a 2006 K1200LT ( low milage ) that has been idle for at least 2 years...
I was not able to make a test drive, nor to start the engine. The only thing I could do was to connect an auxiliary battery with jumper cables : the dashboard lit up and the fuel pump made noise.
Due to snow and frost I will only be able to pick it up next sunday!

During the past days I did some research and that's how I ended up on the forum.
Am curious what will work and what will not......
Mainly the Alarm w Central Locking of the cases together with the radio / CD system seem to be a concern ....

In the event that the alarm would not function, why do you have to bypass it? Is it not possible just to leave it as it is, or unplug it?
What is the advantage of the Bypass Connector?
What are ' Puddle lights ' ? I don't believe it has those...

I also think I will remove the BMW CD-player ( or is it a Radio / CD combination...? ) to be able to use the entire glove box.
However, I would like to be able to listen to the music on my iPhone ( and charge it ) using the speakers and the steering buttons.
I saw some solutions which use the CD-changer plug of the CD-player to connect an extra BT-interface , but I haven't seen a solution which eliminates the CD-player.

Any comment will be appreciated!

31 / 5000

Vertaalresultaten

26 / 5000

Vertaalresultaten
Welcome to the forum Matthiko. Considering it has been sitting idle for at least 2 years be prepared to replace a few things on the bike. I would be replacing a lot of the rubber. Things like brake lines for sure. Crank case ventilation tube. Fuel lines, in tank and external. I think very few of us here bother with the alarm and central locking system and most have eliminated it. Just too much bother for what it is. I did my crank case breather about a year ago and probably had about 10 hours labor in it. Nothing on these bikes are a 5 minute job but they are very rewarding once you get them sorted and there is plenty of help here on the forum. Just dive in and enjoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matthiko. Considering it has been sitting idle for at least 2 years be prepared to replace a few things on the bike. I would be replacing a lot of the rubber. Things like brake lines for sure. Crank case ventilation tube. Fuel lines, in tank and external. I think very few of us here bother with the alarm and central locking system and most have eliminated it. Just too much bother for what it is. I did my crank case breather about a year ago and probably had about 10 hours labor in it. Nothing on these bikes are a 5 minute job but they are very rewarding once you get them sorted and there is plenty of help here on the forum. Just dive in and enjoy.
Thx Wazza!
I will first have to check it thouroughly and will take your advice to heart!
I'm in the fortunate situation that the GSA is also still in the garage ....:giggle:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,341 Posts
On the alarm issue if it fails the bike will not start as it interrupts the Engine Electronics relay and stops the starter button signal from getting to the starter relay (anti theft measure). That is why we bypass it. The "puddle lights" are located under the black tip over bar covers and come on for 20 seconds after you turn off the key.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts