BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on abs. Bike K1200LT 2002. Bike needs new abs pump. Found one used low miles of a 2002. Pictures look same as mine. Numbers on sale bike are FTES2AB90037 & 037012052. Mine bike numbers are FTES2AB90036 & 037012051. Will this work for my bike. Thanks for any help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
The 2002 uses the same unit throughout the production year so I am puzzled by why you have two different numbers, They are different between the RS and the LT so beware. Those may just be production numbers for the ABS units.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Still working on abs. Bike K1200LT 2002. Bike needs new abs pump. Found one used low miles of a 2002. Pictures look same as mine. Numbers on sale bike are FTES2AB90037 & 037012052. Mine bike numbers are FTES2AB90036 & 037012051. Will this work for my bike. Thanks for any help.
The 2002 uses the same unit throughout the production year so I am puzzled by why you have two different numbers, They are different between the RS and the LT so beware. Those may just be production numbers for the ABS units.

Scott, John,

The SHORT answer:
see attached photo.... if you see "K1200LT" embossed in metal case below the white sticker like shown by RED arrow, you will be OK with the FTES2AB90037. These IABS units were found on many K1200LT of 2003-2004. However, some have the same FTES2AB90037 on white sticker BUT are embossed in metal case with another BMW model (like R1150RT), so you have to be careful of always checking the embossed marks below.

The LONG answer:
For many years, I have been following these numbers on top of IABS modulator for many BMW models (mainly using EBAY used parts). There is a lot of confusion because of the followings
1) FTE (the supplier of these units) has their own tracking model numbers, including software release numbers on the White sticker (software is "SW: xx". The FTE numbers ending with ...36 are mainly found in 2001-2002 and the ...37 are found mainly on 2003-2004 models. The ...38 are found on some 2004. I have also seen some ...39 on last generation K1200LT models (2005-2009)

2) In addition to the above, they have embossed in metal cover the BMW part number and the BMW model being targeted. This is important as brake integration (front+Rear OR rear pedal separate) varies on some BMW bike: for example the K1200RS has the rear brake pedal executing the rear caliper only for all years of this model.

Attachments

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Good morning John.
Interesting post and explanation, many thanks.
A question for you please.
I have often thought the fully integrated option on the 2005 was overkill and asked about a similar setup to the RS.
No problem with the front brake activating both at speed.
Although the point / pressure / speed at which this occurs is still
???. I'm thinking here about parking lot speeds and gravel etc.
Often felt being able to use just use the rear would be great.

We understand how complex the 2005+ system is and I'm sure using an RS type component would bring up so many flags and fail all the self checks.
But...

Wouldn't that partial integration be great.

What do you think ?

Cheers
Hilton

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Good morning John.
Interesting post and explanation, many thanks.
A question for you please.
I have often thought the fully integrated option on the 2005 was overkill and asked about a similar setup to the RS.
No problem with the front brake activating both at speed.
Although the point / pressure / speed at which this occurs is still
???. I'm thinking here about parking lot speeds and gravel etc.
Often felt being able to use just use the rear would be great.

We understand how complex the 2005+ system is and I'm sure using an RS type component would bring up so many flags and fail all the self checks.
But...

Wouldn't that partial integration be great.

What do you think ?

Cheers
Hilton
On my 2002 K1200RS, I love the fact that I can operate the rear brake ALONE for slow speed maneuvers. Although the connector and pin-out of these IABS for K1200LT and K1200RS is the same, I have no idea if any unknown surprises exist in doing such a swap of IABS units - I have never tried.

You cannot just swap the full unit for all K1200LT version as the last generation (2005-2009) has a different unit with the 2 sections reservoir on top (unit is installed horizontal). The earlier IABS version of K1200LT (2001-2004) that the unit in same position as K1200RS (vertical). Technically, swapping just the top part where all the logic and electronics exist should work, but it is a fairly long risky road that I have never tried myself. If someone wants to send me a functional K1200LT (2001-2004) IABS unit for cheap, I might be willing to do the swap on my bike ;-)

Also, my understanding was that on the R1150RTP (police version), BMW made a different IABS unit to change brake integration that existed in civilian version of the R1150RT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just confirmed ABS unit is etched with K1200LT. So I think I will buy unit. How hard are these to swap out? Do I just do a standard brake bleed? Thanks Scott

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts