BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K12LT received just recently a lot of love.

- New Spiegler brake lines. The OEM were falling apart inside. the brake fluid was black.
- New Brake master cylinder (the old one had a bad screw on the cover, and found this one for $20 !!!)
- Complete brake fluid flushing (obviously)
- New air filter.
- Gearbox oil change. (85W90) 90API
- Final drive oil change (75W140). Was confused as the manual calls for both 75W90 and 75W140.
- Clutch brake fluid flushing.
- Engine oil change.
- Engine oil filter.
- Engine valve check. All in spec.
- New spark plugs.
- New fuel filter and hoses.
- Coolant change.
- New rear emblems.
- checked the stanchions (will need new seals).
- Fixed EHCS!!! (just today)
- New Shorai battery

That's a love of love!

I paid a kid $275 to help me do it. It took us about 3.5 days.
I can't even begin to fathom how much all of that (40K km service) would have costed me at the dealer. Or at a shop.

Reactions: ibbones and Dmitry

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

- New Spiegler brake lines. The OEM were falling apart inside. the brake fluid was black.
- New Brake master cylinder (the old one had a bad screw on the cover, and found this one for $20 !!!)
- New air filter.
- Final drive oil change (75W140). Was confused as the manual calls for both 75W90 and 75W140.
- Engine oil change.
- Engine oil filter.
- New spark plugs.
- Coolant change.
- New rear emblems.
- New Shorai battery

That's a love of love!

I can't even begin to fathom how much all of that (40K km service) would have costed me at the dealer. Or at a shop.
It is almost a necessity to be able to do your own wrenching unless you have really deep pockets. None of that is particularly difficult to an experienced wrench but putting all that labor together is many hours. I still have to make it through a few of those items on my LT like coolant and a valve check.

Good job though. That is a lot of work. You will be far better off with the new lines.

The PDF manual I have for the LT indicates an SAE 90 API GL5 for reference. I think they changed it at one point from recommending the 75W140 to the 75W90. My reference for this statement is on this site at the link below.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ight-spec.html

Ride on.

Reactions: mondrage

·
Registered
787 Posts

- New air filter.
- Engine oil change.
- Engine oil filter.
- New spark plugs.
- Coolant change.
- New rear emblems.
- New Shorai battery

That's a love of love!

I can tell you exactly what a dealer would charge. Had all of that done last year. $1525.00 ouch!!!!!! it still hurts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also love doing the wrenching because it grows me closer to the machines. The LT can be very thankful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... and just so I wouldn't feel like BMW makes perfect machines...

Today, I just was running the LT, and cleaning the rear wheel from oil.

The "battery" light starting blinking, as if the engine was being lugged.
Then it died.
Now the battery is a brand new Shorai.
The engine turns very quickly, and it makes sounds as when the tank is removed and you're trying to turn the engine.
In other words, either my fuel pump just crapped out, or there's a loose connector.

We will see...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
... and just so I wouldn't feel like BMW makes perfect machines...

Today, I just was running the LT, and cleaning the rear wheel from oil.

The "battery" light starting blinking, as if the engine was being lugged.
Then it died.
Now the battery is a brand new Shorai.
The engine turns very quickly, and it makes sounds as when the tank is removed and you're trying to turn the engine.
In other words, either my fuel pump just crapped out, or there's a loose connector.

We will see...
Well, you just did the fuel filter so open the tank and look for swirling fuel when you turn the key on and the pump primes. The hose may have popped off under the 50PSI. Not sure abotu the battery light unless the engine was stumbling before it died.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CoolK!

Yu da man!

Yes, the engine was stumbling, struggling to stay alive.

That could be the ticket. I can hear the fuel pump running. So, possible a burst hose, or a loose clamp.

Thanks again,

Eyvind

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
CoolK!

Yu da man!

Yes, the engine was stumbling, struggling to stay alive.

That could be the ticket. I can hear the fuel pump running. So, possible a burst hose, or a loose clamp.

Thanks again,

Eyvind
Not sure what filter and hose you used but I am sure you know that not all fuel hose is created equal by reading the many posts on this forum. If you didn't get the BMW hose, make sure it is submersible and Fuel injection rated or it will deteriorate from the outside. I don't think it would deteriorate that fast though so more likely it popped off is that is the case. Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Getting ready to finish my 80k and have the replacement hose on standby. I'm really not a replace it BEFORE it breaks kind of guy, kind of takes the mystery out of it, but being stranded on the side of the road is another matter!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Getting ready to finish my 80k and have the replacement hose on standby. I'm really not a replace it BEFORE it breaks kind of guy, kind of takes the mystery out of it, but being stranded on the side of the road is another matter!
Exactly. IF it is the original hose, it has been sitting in gas for 11 years on your bike if you have no history of it having been changed out. That is long enough and pulling the tupperware and tank to replace it on the road is not something I want to think about for something I decided to wait till it broke and previously had the chance.

:wink:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely.
I'm more of the "replace before it breaks". It gives me a sense of preventive-maintenance accomplishment.
That's why I replaced all the brake hoses... I think I read in the manual somewhere that they should be replaced every 4 years... the bike is almost 10 years old now (time flies !!!!).

Because of that, I replaced the hoses, with hoses I bought locally. The original hoses looked cracked.
If you ever took apart a LT, you KNOW you won't be seeing the inside of the tank for a very long time. (the last time I replaced the air filter was at 20,000km, in 2013).
The filter looked okay, but they're cheap. It's more expensive to take the darned tupperware apart!

Tomorrow I'll be taking the tank down and figure out what's going one.
For good measure I got a quote for $90 bucks for the two hoses, gasket, and clamps. If the locally bought hoses burst. I'll get the new parts.
I'm also getting stanchion seals, and replace them, just because.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Absolutely.
I'm more of the "replace before it breaks". It gives me a sense of preventive-maintenance accomplishment.
That's why I replaced all the brake hoses... I think I read in the manual somewhere that they should be replaced every 4 years... the bike is almost 10 years old now (time flies !!!!).

Because of that, I replaced the hoses, with hoses I bought locally. The original hoses looked cracked.
If you ever took apart a LT, you KNOW you won't be seeing the inside of the tank for a very long time. (the last time I replaced the air filter was at 20,000km, in 2013).
The filter looked okay, but they're cheap. It's more expensive to take the darned tupperware apart!

Tomorrow I'll be taking the tank down and figure out what's going one.
For good measure I got a quote for $90 bucks for the two hoses, gasket, and clamps. If the locally bought hoses burst. I'll get the new parts.
I'm also getting stanchion seals, and replace them, just because.
Yeah, I am also a before it breaks guy also. Just a side note, besides being submersible, it also needs to be EFI rated because it has 50 PSI normally in it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yeap. That's what it was.

I'm buying EFI rated and 50-psi hoses right now.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Yeap. That's what it was.

I'm buying EFI rated and 50-psi hoses right now.

Buy the original clamps also or use fuel injection rated clamps. Make sure the fuel line is also submersible. I really prefer stock hose even though it's expensive.

Robert

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the hose I bought. The clamps are stainless steel.

Do you still think I should buy the oem parts?

It'll take about 4 weeks to get here.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This is the hose I bought. The clamps are stainless steel.

Do you still think I should buy the oem parts?

It'll take about 4 weeks to get here.

No problem with pressure rating, this is more than enough.
HOWEVER... if indeed this particular hose was specs for submersible usage, it should have other ratings / numbers on it.
Something like EITHER of these numbers:
(1) 30R10 (this is an SAE spec)
(2) 737981 (this is a DIN spec)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't see...
Now I'm getting paranoid. Guess I better order the parts...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also changed the oil in the FD from 75W140, to 80W90 as recommended.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I didn't see...
Now I'm getting paranoid. Guess I better order the parts...

If you do it with stock parts then you should should be good for 6-8 years. You can use dull end nippers to pinch the Oetiker clamps.

Robert

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should I also get the gasket?
Or just the hoses and the clamps.
It's $30 bucks more...

I'm also getting the grips.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts