BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a bad day. My starter motor suddenly started staying on when when I use the handlebar switch to shut off the engine. :( When I turn the key off it stops. Any ideas of what could cause this? I am thinking a ground fault perhaps?

I am in Fort Wayne IN and our only BMW dealer gave up the line. Has anyone had any luck with repairs by non-BMW dealers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NEVERMIND on the starter issue. Repeatedly pushing the starter button solved the problem. I WILL be installing a new relay. My starter button is trashed so I am going shopping for a new starter side cluster!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nmclay said:
It has been a bad day. My starter motor suddenly started staying on when when I use the handlebar switch to shut off the engine. :( When I turn the key off it stops. Any ideas of what could cause this? I am thinking a ground fault perhaps?

I am in Fort Wayne IN and our only BMW dealer gave up the line. Has anyone had any luck with repairs by non-BMW dealers?
I know from some other early LT issues that a low battery can cause the starter relay to stick.. Normally the failure is more catastrophic.. melting wires and battery meltdown !.. but I want to ask you about battery condition and charge level ?? If a partial stick of the start relay occurred.. I wonder if this could be the cause.. The later LT's have a relay with a safety circuit inside that prevents the contact point stick if the voltage is low.. This sure sounds like a starter relay problem..
PS My riding buddy and I live in Lafayette IN and I am not afraid of most any repair or service procedure :<)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey.. say posting.. make sure the battery is not so old as well.. !! and Beautiful bike.. !!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hmm. Sounds like starter relay BUT shouldn't starter keep on running even though one turns the key off if it really is the melt down relay (?)

Stupid Finn.....

Nmclay said:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
C-A-D said:
Hmm. Sounds like starter relay BUT shouldn't starter keep on running even though one turns the key off if it really is the melt down relay (?)

Stupid Finn.....
True but he did say his starter switch was also messed up and he plans to change out that switchset. That could be the cause and not just the relay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! Well, this morning sucked. The starter running problem has been going on for a few weeks now and I have a BRAND NEW BATTERY! It's never the easy stuff, is it? :)

While screwing with the bike trying to get the starter to stop running the bike fell over :( and the starter button was RIPPED OFF and the black plastic casing was broken too. It seems the only way to fix is to replace the whole assembly new for $431 just for the right side cluster or buy just the switch cluster piece that faces the driver for about $100+ from EBay if you can find one in good condition. Does this sound accurate? I haven't figured out how to remove that front piece but it must be possible because I saw the parts on EBay.

If someone could point the way to
1. Disassembly procedure to get at the relay
2. Disassembly procedure to replace that right cluster

I sure would appreciate it. I'm nervous but not scared.....or should I be? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
billd said:
PS My riding buddy and I live in Lafayette IN and I am not afraid of most any repair or service procedure :<)
Thanks for the great advice. Sadly, I don't think it is a bad battery as it is brand new adn been on a trickle charger too but I haven't tested the battery yet either. I joined here to see if I could meet some fellow Hoosiers to ride with. If I can't solve this on my own I might hit you up in the spring. Fort Wayne no longer has a BMW dealer :bmw: . I'm on my own.... :(

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
The starter relay is in the relay box under the fuel tank. There are some shots of what it looks like.

To remove the switch set. You see the big phillips screw facing you - pull that. Now look in the back side where the hole is and there is a tiny phillips there -pull that. Underneath there are two scews one chrome and one black the removes the bottom cover. Then you have to remove the bar covers and the fuel tank as that wiring goes down into the electronics box.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you do get a new starter button setup any chance that I could have the old one? My kill switch is broken and I am wondering if I can cobble yours onto mine.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Dead link?

Well, guess that isn't helpfull!

Here you go:
"For the 2000LT you want to make sure it has had the defective chip in the computer change to one that does not have hesitation during hot wx; make sure the stock defective starter was changed; make sure the crash pan for the tranny was installed. Look carefully for seepage where the clutch housing meets the tranny.

Oooooh! The speedo, by design, reads too high. Doing 80 on the speedo meat I was going around 72. This is a simple mod to fix that. However it takes a long time to strip the panels of to get to the back of the speedo.

BMW came out with “new” cables for the throttle, new rear disc to help get rid of the screeeeaching from braking.

If it still has rubber brake lines those MUST be replaced. Most go with steel lines. Figure on replacing the stock shocks every 22K or so. Count on replacing the stock low beam with a HID.

Make sure the cruise control works. It’s a real PITA to track down why it doesn’t work.

The stock seat got me wiggling around after 30 mins or so.

Since the front and rear brakes aren’t linked, changing the brake fluid is easy.

The first thing I did to mine was getting Speed bleeders for mine.

I took out the CD changer, use a cassette adapter and run my IPod into it.

Yup. The plastic screen on the radio fogs up. There are many posts on how to clear it up.

Changing the rear pads to “HH sintered?” improves braking and possibly gets rid of the brake screech?

2000s came with a stock tool kit—very handy.

You’ll find an answer to just about any question you come up with on this site.

Best from Gorham Maine.

Ooooooh!! The 24K maintenance is EXPENSIVE!! It involves taking the gas tank off. Easy to do but the time it takes to remove all of the panels and then put them back on is a black hole that you shovel time into."

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You will find people in your region by looking in the Mid West forum:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

It takes a while to get used to this site--there is just so much info and so many people now.

If you can take a pix and post it, more people will know what parts you need.

You can look on line for parts schematics and parts numbers. It will help you see what has to be removed to replace the switch and relay.

MAX BMW has on line parts schematic.

Trying to get the torx screw driver into the recessed bolts under the handle bars used to take me HOURS!! Buying a small mirror on a stick reduced it to minutes.

Trying to remove the screws under the clutch and front brake controls on the handle bars was a real PITA without the small mirror.

Some where in this site are good directions on how to replace the throttle cables that will walk you through taking that switch assembly apart.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
How about some picts of the broken parts on the handle bar - I have spares and pending what's broken I could give you the repair parts!! Just "paying it forward" . . . :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a stupid question. As this is a new K1200 lt owner and he hears what he thinks is the starter still engaged. On my 99 Lt I had a bad ABS relay that kept the ABS motor running even if the switch was turned off and it sounded like a starter motor running. Is it possible that it is an ABS relay. On mine the battery was bad and week that cause it to fault and stay on. The dealer changed a relay under the tank. Maybe in the same area of the photos that John posted. A year later I was having ABS malfunction light problems again and found that there is a relay on the front left of the ABS unit under and to the left of the battery. With great difficulty and scared hands I removed the old on and put on a new one and have not have any problems since.( knock on wood) That was about 5 yrs ago. :think:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think it is time HOST a SERVICE party.

If your weather is like ours, you will have ready by spring.

Lots of LUCK.George
aka MT Helmet

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 2000 has starter keeps running once in a while
fix is hit starter switch once or twice.

I read there is a starter relay upgrade that fixes it

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My 2000 has starter keeps running once in a while
fix is hit starter switch once or twice.

I read there is a starter relay upgrade that fixes it
Install the Ford relay and forget about it. If it sticks once it'll stick again with possibly catastrophic results. Could even lead to a complete meltdown and fire. Fix it now!

Robert

1 - 20 of 34 Posts