BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to open the top luggage box without breaking it. the lock has broken and i need to open it as there is food in it. I cannot find a way of opening it

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,180 Posts
Do you have central locking? It is associated with the alarm and if it is electronically locked the key will open it but you have to turn it only 45 degrees not 90. Otherwise you can put a drift on the lock cylinder and hammer away until it gives then pull up on the latch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cylinder lock is ok its the latch that has broken at the top on both sides the latch it lifts ok but does not open the case.
I haven't a clue how to get the top open.
It dies not have central locking fitted.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The cylinder lock is ok its the latch that has broken at the top on both sides the latch it lifts ok but does not open the case.
I haven't a clue how to get the top open.
It dies not have central locking fitted.
With the latch open, you may be able to reach up and grab the broken pieces with with some pliers and pull down on them to open the latches. Not sure if the fix it after it breaks latch is still being sold or available but here is the link. MFG solution is to replace the entire top case to get the latch and it is still pot metal. I replaced my broken latch with this and it is far superior and less than a top case.

BMW K1200LT Trunk Latch Handle Kit K 1200 LT

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think theres only a few ((Fix it after it breaks)left. And there will be no more made.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think theres only a few ((Fix it after it breaks)left. And there will be no more made.
I bought one of the last few last year but the web site is still up so there may still be some left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts