BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '03 K1200LT with the rear case top cover broke at one of the hinges. I've tried many different glues and even had some luck with contact cement, but it's worse now. Only one hinge is holding the top cover on. Is there a repair for this that someone knows about? Maybe a piece of 90 degree angle steel.See pictures. The problem is the crappy design of this fine example of German ingenuity. There isn't much for the plat to attach to below the flat hinge plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I have an '03 K1200LT with the rear case top cover broke at one of the hinges. I've tried many different glues and even had some luck with contact cement, but it's worse now. Only one hinge is holding the top cover on. Is there a repair for this that someone knows about? Maybe a piece of 90 degree angle steel.See pictures. The problem is the crappy design of this fine example of German ingenuity. There isn't much for the plat to attach to below the flat hinge plate.
I don't think I've seen an issue before in thus location. Any idea as to the cause?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I don't think I've seen an issue before in thus location. Any idea as to the cause?
Just speculation but my suspicions are that the lid was opened and allowed to fall forward without the strap attached putting unnecessary stress on the hinge mount. With the strap attached, the lid doesn't open far enough to pull on the hinge mount.

Another possibility is closure with something in the way ( glove or something) forcing the hinge to pull up strongly rather than simply close against the gasket. I haven't seen that failure yet either.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
313 Posts
I had a similar issue on another bike trunk a few years back. I purchased some fiberglass cloth (Wal-Mart or Auto Zone) and ABS Glue from Home Depot plumbing dept. Put a layer of glue, laid the FG cloth on it, then another layer of glue on top. After it dried, it was tough as nails and I never had any other issues from it. It really strengthened the whole area. Depending on the nature of the area you are repairing, you may want to tape around it before gluing so you can easily remove the residue before it dries. Haven't looked closely at the area where you are having an issue, so my suggestion may not work, but wanted to mention it. Hope you can figure something out.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Had same issue a few years back (2013)... here's the thread with all the info...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/72077-plastic-repairs-plastex-jb-weld.html#post637995

there's a link to pics in post 15 http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/72077-plastic-repairs-plastex-jb-weld.html#post643476

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Just speculation but my suspicions are that the lid was opened and allowed to fall forward without the strap attached putting unnecessary stress on the hinge mount. With the strap attached, the lid doesn't open far enough to pull on the hinge mount.

Another possibility is closure with something in the way ( glove or something) forcing the hinge to pull up strongly rather than simply close against the gasket. I haven't seen that failure yet either.
Same thought I had. Looks like upward force would cause that failure such as closing with something near the hinge between the case halves.

I would try to rough up the surrounding area well, clean thoroughly with alcohol and use fiberglass to repair and reinforce the area and then drill new holes to rivet the hinge back in place or maybe use bolts.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gordan,
I think it was overloading the compartment on a long trip and it caused stress on that hinge

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Gordan,
I think it was overloading the compartment on a long trip and it caused stress on that hinge
Yep, that would do it. It is not over engineered by any means. I would be popping off the black covers and I think you posted a picture ( fuzzy) of the opening from the front side and use some short strand fiberglass repair from the underside. Possibly drill and chamfor some taper head screws in flush on the outside edge leading down into a mass of fiberglass for support. Maybe drill some holes in and put some screws below for the fiberglass to bond to as well as roughing up the sides. Find ways to anchor the fiberglass to the structure. I think that is fixable although i have not had to tackle it myself. It won't be visible so it doesn't have to be pretty.

We all want more storage space on the LT.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I had a body/fender guy fill the cavity (behind the black plate with power plug) under the hinge with a couple inches of epoxy. The top case was turned upside down to do this.
After it was fully cured, he drilled 4 holes in a line between the 6 rivets and anchored the hinge with long screws. Has held up for over a year now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts