Registered
2005 K1200LT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying either of three bikes

A used Wing
A used K1200LT
A used K1200GT

I'm looking for a 2 hr one way traveling bike. Looking for comfort and wind protection (cruise would be nice too)

The LT seems to be my best bet, the Wing also, but I have a good deal on a K1200GT

My concerns are with the GT:

I'm more of an "upright" rider and the GT is more of a "front leaning" ride (front bar risers?)
The GT does not have the same wind protection as the LT (similar but not the same - recommendations could be a bigger shield - what about side winds)
I like the option of cruise control on the LT that I don't think comes on the GT (does it? Especially when my commute is 105 miles one way)
The LT is much better for two up (more comfortable for the rider)
I would definitely need the back box of the LT for commuting with all I have to carry for work
I do know the GT is much less top heavy than the LT which is a plus

How much different is the GT than the LT? Is it that much more noticeable in all the areas mentioned above?

Any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Woody

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you’re mostly interested in freeway riding? In so, I’d go for the Wing as it’s a very stable freeway bike. IMO, the LT is too old of a bike to buy now. If the GT is too forward for you, you could always install bar backs.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Hey Woody, welcome, you're not going to get the protection from the GT as you would the LT. I've had both for awhile, LT since new and the GT a few years old. I bought the GT to have a short distance rider of just a few hours or so and for zipping around town. It was fine when I was a little younger but as I got older I became less interested with that style of riding which is more sport oriented. Even though it has bar backs, it was still uncomfortable after just a few hours in the saddle and has been sitting in the garage for well over a year now! Also keep in mind the servo brakes on some year BMW's as my 2006 LT and the 2004 GT both have them and it could involve a small fortune for replacement if they fail. My own GT has cruise but I can't say whether it was a standard feature on all the older models. The GT is definitely lighter and more nimble but the LT is just as proficient, just a bit heavier. These are my own opinions on the subject!

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I appreciate the input and agree that the Wing is probably the better bet for me all around. I had a 2010 Concours which I'm guessing is very much in line with a GT and I did install the risers which helped with the more upright position, but it definitely didn't give me the wind protection I was used to and needed with my old Ventures

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm an older gentleman as well and really need the wind protection and seating comfort. I am pretty much convinced with what you've shared and what I've read elsewhere that the GT is not going to give me what I really need (even though it falls more into my budget right now). So I'm up to either the LT or the Wing to whatever I can find within my meager budget right now given other responsibilities. I don't think there are any other bikes which fit into the wind protection\cruise control option I need. Close but no cigar. Thanks for the detailed reply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts