BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, New Idiot here so bear with me. After years of Riding GS's and an X650 Challenge, I had a bunch of surgery this winter and wanted an easier bike to get on and off of and at 44 am probably done off-roading. So I rode a K1200GT Loved it and bought it. It is a 55,000 mile 06 every toy in the world on it, as new shape. I did not like the racket it made at an idle (mostly with the clutch out) so I switched to BMW synthetic oil, it helped. Now I have two issues. The original owner had replaced the exhaust at nearly no miles, he sold that exhaust and re-installed the factory stuff when I bought it. Now when I ride the bike Hard, Real hard i get this nasty smell. My guess was it was the beginning of the end of this 55,000 mile clutch. Well out in Western Nebraska yesterday I rode about 5 miles @ 130ish MPH.. at the next stop /// Same smell. Could this be burning nasty crap out of the converter that has probably never been that hott. The smell never is / was that Brake -- Clutch stink you would expect...
Also my girlfriend is very uncomfortable on the back. I think the stock seat pitches her forward and the pegs seem high for the passenger.
Any input is appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
M56-mike said:
Hey Guys, New Idiot here so bear with me. After years of Riding GS's and an X650 Challenge, I had a bunch of surgery this winter and wanted an easier bike to get on and off of and at 44 am probably done off-roading. So I rode a K1200GT Loved it and bought it. It is a 55,000 mile 06 every toy in the world on it, as new shape. I did not like the racket it made at an idle (mostly with the clutch out) so I switched to BMW synthetic oil, it helped. Now I have two issues. The original owner had replaced the exhaust at nearly no miles, he sold that exhaust and re-installed the factory stuff when I bought it. Now when I ride the bike Hard, Real hard i get this nasty smell. My guess was it was the beginning of the end of this 55,000 mile clutch. Well out in Western Nebraska yesterday I rode about 5 miles @ 130ish MPH.. at the next stop /// Same smell. Could this be burning nasty crap out of the converter that has probably never been that hott. The smell never is / was that Brake -- Clutch stink you would expect... Also my girlfriend is very uncomfortable on the back. I think the stock seat pitches her forward and the pegs seem high for the passenger.
Any input is appreciated.

Mike
Maybe the PO had the exhaust stored where varmints (mice, crickets, etc) could enter and set up house! I did that once with one of my extra exhaust systems - ended up cutting the shiny end off to make a twice-pipes mod and found a whole herd of crickets had died of starvation, or committed suicide. Didn't fry 'em, butt they sure did off-gas sumpthin' awful!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don' t have an answer for the smell. None from my '06 with stock or TwoBrothers can.

Try the lowering pegs from Suburban. I have a set for both fron and back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts