BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL,
Im new today to this.
I have been a BMW owner since 1985. I don't work on my bikes as i rarely have any issues.
Today i hit a rock with front tire, --rim appears ok, tire appears ok, brakes appear ok, but when i got home attempted to put up on electronic center stand and nothing. I looked down and saw fluid coming out.

I put bike on side stand.
I took off bent skid plate.

Started bike back up.
no leaking fluids.
I realize i will need a second person to do next step but where do i look for the potential leak as i don't see anything that appears to be broke other than the one skinny bolt as you look from ground up is broke away from the housing.

Any ideas?

thanks
MSG RET.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I've not had my hydraulic center stand apart yet and so have little to offer other than there are certainly members on the forum who have been there and there are posts that can be dug up detailing rebuilding this item. Some of them are probably about to post some help.
You should flesh out your forum bio so we can see where you are. All I can assume is that it's an '05 or later bike.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
It's not hard to remove and inspect. Take a look at this video.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
If you could post a picture of the "one skinny bolt" it would be helpful. Hopefully it is not one of the bolts holding the center stand mount to the transmission.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I hope you don't need a transmission, but if you do end up needing a transmission I have one from an 05' if you're interested. I'll take $200 plus shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler,
thanks for response.

If you watch the video posted by johnbaker15, at the end of video it shows the "stand assembly" .

Look at the noth portion of the part and see the long skinny bolts.

One of those is broke away from housing.

I contacted my dealer --service guy-- and he related you have to replace the entire part to the tune of 1326.00 and pennies (part only).

I have a few questions--

does this parts fluid have anyhting to do with the tranny, final drive or engine oils?

if i take it out where would i add the fluid and what type of fluid is it?

I guess i am extremely lucky after 41 years of riding on the road the is the worst and really only damage i have ever sustained..... (GOD Bless)....

any advice-- greatly appreciated.....

MSG RET

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
That bolt is one that holds the plunger assembly together. Nothing special except the length. You should be able to replace it with almost anything the proper length. The most important thing to know is do NOT over tighten it, the cap will break and then you will be out of luck for sure. Someone here might have a bolt from one they replaced or repaired.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
OK if the long skinny bolts are the ones around the cylinder I have some and I rebuild these units at a reasonable cost.

Attachments

Reactions: johnbaker15

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Look at the north portion of the part and see the long skinny bolts.
One of those is broke away from housing.
If its broken away, I'd suspect that the cast housing itself is cracked... and that would have you looking for a replacement EHCS unit I would think.... might be starting to get likes hen's teeth to find, unless JZ has a full spare?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
If it is the end where the shaft extends I have a guy getting ready to quote me some new machined units. I am tired of trying to repair the cast ones with JB weld and metal plates. I do not have any base units as my last one went to Ari.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts