BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

Forgive what may be an obvious question, but I have searched here and online without finding the answer.

Did the K1200LT receive the refresh from the wretched servo assist ABS unit to the later Teves iABS II unit in mid-2007, as happened with the R series and cross-frame K12's.

I am considering a late 2007 LT, but I have owned a 2005 R1200RT which had the servo ABS failure, and don't want to go there again.

It's easy enough to servo-ectomy the RT, but the bulk of the LT and the ridiculous shoe-horn location of the servo unit make this a show-stopper for me.

Many thanks

Chopps

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Folks

Forgive what may be an obvious question, but I have searched here and online without finding the answer.

Did the K1200LT receive the refresh from the wretched servo assist ABS unit to the later Teves iABS II unit in mid-2007, as happened with the R series and cross-frame K12's.

I am considering a late 2007 LT, but I have owned a 2005 R1200RT which had the servo ABS failure, and don't want to go there again.

It's easy enough to servo-ectomy the RT, but the bulk of the LT and the ridiculous shoe-horn location of the servo unit make this a show-stopper for me.

Many thanks

Chopps
The K1200LT is only BMW that kept the 1st generation IABS with servos until end-of-production in 2009. Only minor change was in 2005-2009 where the ABS modulator was installed horizontally in frame with fluid reservoir on top (a bit like many R1150 boxer had). But basically all K1200T with IABS (mid 2001 to 2009) have the same basic FTE unit with servos (including minor design diff noted above).

As you posted above , most other BMW models got the new TEVES ABS modulator starting in 2007 (no servos). It is important to note that these newer TEVES ABS units also had their share of problems (electrical motor brushes) but at least, they can be repaired / overhauled for an acceptable price.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was once so anti-servo that the only Oilheads I bought were a non-ABS R1100R and a pre-Servo R1150GS. BUT, I wanted a LT and got an '09 with servos. As long as they work I'm not complaining, yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts