BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence on this one. Can't decide on between a K1200 LT or an R1100RT.

We take one multi day trip per year, (we both work) and take about 5-6 overnight trips per year, and about 12-15 'daytrips' per year.

I live in the Ozarks, so twisty fun roads are plentiful, but we also like to slab it up to St Louis to see family on the week ends.

Im wondering if the ammenities on the LT (cruise, big windshield/tupperware/huge top case) will really be appreciated.

The styling of the RT and its handling keeps drawing me towards it though!

So please, unemotional testimonials and opinions would be appreciated.

PS, we currrently ride an 85 K100RT, which be plan to keep,so either bike will be an improvement in the comfort areas

·
Registered
683 Posts
Buy the LT, the wife will love it!!! so will you!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was myself surprised at the handling of the LT. It does take a little time to get up the confidence to put the big girl that far over, but once you have, it is no longer a concern. It really is amazing just how well the LT does perfom in many ways.
That all being said, I origionally was shopping for a R1200RT. Yes it is a bit more sporty, but I ended up getting a deal on the LT I could not refuse. I am 100% happy with how it all worked outl.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I'm guessing that quite a few people traded in their LT towards the 1600. So, you might be able to get a better price on an LT.

The LT is a hand full at slow-no speed. Gotta keep her nose straight or she wants to lay on her side.

Bob

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think this is the toughest question, I went with LT mainly because it is so far superior for the wife. I also was on the fence between the RT and LT, and to some extent I still am even though I already got the LT. Having said that I do not regret the LT at all, it really handles great and the creature comforts like Cruise Control and the wind coverage are super nice. I imagine the RT would run the twists better than an LT, but an LT would probably surprise you with how well it handles itself.

Bottom line, if you want to be able to take off the bags and really tear up the pavement on the curves the RT would probably be better, but if you want to be comfortable there is no comparison between the two, the LT will win hands down without a question on every aspect every time. It really boils down to what floats your boat, did you also post this question on the RT forum? You will likely get a different set of opinions.

Either way, it is still a BMW and you cannot make a mistake either way :bmw:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I sold my 2002 LT this spring after 5 years of enjoyment...and bought a 2008 RT, the reason...to drop some weight and make things more manageable. The RT has heated grips/seats, cruise (from 2005 on), adjustable windshield and a great fairing for protection, all the things you were looking for. I find the RT incredibly light and easily managed at low speeds relative to the LT and just as comfortable, although my wife is less comfy and finds her legs cramped.

good luck on your decision.

Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
itspossible said:
...although my wife is less comfy and finds her legs cramped.

Ron
aye...and there's the rub!

Thats an important factor, especially since the GF is paying for what ever we get!

I will say that it will either be a pre 2002 LT (brembo brakes)or pre 2000 for the RT. I like my bike like I like my women, simple and not too technical.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had both bikes for a few months and ran both solo and two-up riding. I choose to keep the K1200LT.

R1150RT - lighter, sportier, great solo machine.

K1200LT - more comfort for 'boring' riding on Interstate and straight back roads. You probably won't find better rain protection while riding solo!

So, I sold the RT and kept the LT.

Oh, and I kept the F650 Funduro for grins, too! :D

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
That's an easy question. Take your wife for a ride on both bikes...you'll be buying the LT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I currently own both. I've had a '96 R1100 RT for about 6 yrs. and 36,000 miles (had a K1100 LT before it). It is a wonderful bike that defines what a Sport Tourer should be in my mind. Plenty of power, great handling, excellent weather protection and carrying capacity. The Boxer engine is legendary...you take care of it and it will take care of you.

The K1200...I bought my '99 about two weeks ago with 91,000 miles on the clock. Got on it the next day and rode 625 miles to Florida. All I can say is damn...what a ride! I was on it for 12 hours and could actually still walk when I got off:) Frankly, could not have done that on the RT. The weather protection is even better than the RT...and that seamless rush of power at any speed is just addictive. It is an express freight train, and a very impressive platform. It handles much better than expected...all that weight just vanishes the instant you start to move. That said, low speed manners are fine, but it is a handful when stopped/coming to a stop...you will need to pay attention and plan ahead. While I am 6'2" and 220 lbs., I am also 64 yrs. old and not the man I used to be. Not looking forward to dropping it.

While most of my riding is currently solo, the increased comfort level for my wife is one of the reasons I bought the LT. Her longest ride to date is about 350 miles & she would have gotten off sooner had she been able:) Hopefully she will find the LT more to her liking...time will tell.

I guess in a nutshell, this says it all...as much as I like the R1100 RT, it is for sale.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I owned a 99 LT and had the opportunity to ride a 2005 1200RT's recently for a day trip. The RT is a fine bike, definitely lighter and consequently much easier at very low speed. On highway though it really does have the same level of protection as the LT nor does it provide the same comfort. On my LT I can cruise on the highway at 80mph in perfect comfort for many hours. I did not have the same feeling on the RT.

·
Registered
593 Posts
oldnslow said:
aye...and there's the rub!

Thats an important factor, especially since the GF is paying for what ever we get!
Take her for a ride on an LT and she will make up her mind real quick for you! :bmw:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey, oldnslow, by now you have a bunch of votes for the LT and for the RT. Confusing, eh?

To throw into the mix: I have an '01 LT and an '03 1150RT. I'll be selling the LT shortly - the RT was purchased recently as a replacement.

The LT is an immense, wonderful long-distance tourer. Also, it is the most comfortable bike for the pillion. Before I got the GS, I did some serious long hauls on my LT's. Now, it has become only my 2-up bike.

My reasons for choosing the RT now are that the wife only rides a few times a year, so that the bike gets no use. For me, it has become just too hefty. Handling the 800-pound pig, especially with passenger aboard, gets me anxious. Yes, I can fly the bike over fast twisties, but I dread slow tight/uphill maneuvers. I am not a big guy and am losing confidence in my abilities to wrangle the Light Truck - particularly since I do not get enough practice. A vicious cycle.

The RT, in a nutshell, is a smaller version of the LT. Wet weight is about 600 pounds versus 850. It has a shorter wheelbase and the seat is a bit taller to accommodate shorter cockpit. Beyond that, the bikes are very similar in features and equipment (aside the obvious difference in powerplant).

By myself, I primarily ride the GS - long and short distance. Therefore, the RT is a compromise: it will suffice for the occasional rides with a passenger; being a more nimble bike, I may even use it more often for some fun rides solo.

As usual, YMMV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts