BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 LT with 32000 mile developed a fuel leak while on the freeway. I took it to the dealer and found out it was the quick disconnect on the outlet side of the fuel tank. I was told they started using these in 2000. They told me I might want to carry one as a spare as this was the 8th one this summer they have fixed. There is no recall at this time, how many of us are out there?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Took my 2002 LT to Bob's BMW here in Maryland and they replaced the fuel line disconnect under a recall during my 6K service. Call Daryl at Bob's and he will give you the particulars that you can give to your dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
g_laskie said:
My 2003 LT with 32000 mile developed a fuel leak while on the freeway. I took it to the dealer and found out it was the quick disconnect on the outlet side of the fuel tank. I was told they started using these in 2000. They told me I might want to carry one as a spare as this was the 8th one this summer they have fixed. There is no recall at this time, how many of us are out there?
My Bike developed a leak this weekend, it's a 2005 K1200LT. Uncovered and found the quick disconnect also. I will not leak while engine is off, but while running....WOW, lost 1/2 a tank of fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do away with the quick disconnects. They will always be a problem. Put in brass splices and hose clamps. If the tank has to be pulled later it can drained by having another short peice of hose ready and a gas can and pan under the area. Just pull the hose off of the outer fitting on the bottom of the gas tank which is the return line. That will drain almost all the tank with minor spillage. When you remove the inner hose which is the preasurized side take it off slowly and catch the spillage in a pan. Wear safety glasses and old clothes when doing this.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
Or replace the crappy plastic ones with the ones sold here by beemerboneyard.com.
I have to remove the tank when performing maintenance or installing wiring for new farkles and I really like having the quick disconnects.

·
Registered
795 Posts
TwoTrike said:
Do away with the quick disconnects. They will always be a problem. Put in brass splices and hose clamps...
Is there any risk that the splices would decrease the volume of flow causing any problems? Have my LT apart doing a load of things to it and want it back together now for the perfect weather but one of the male QD's is broken, dont want to wait for the replacement to get ordered and arrive - I want to ride!!!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Is there any risk that the splices would decrease the volume of flow causing any problems? Have my LT apart doing a load of things to it and want it back together now for the perfect weather but one of the male QD's is broken, dont want to wait for the replacement to get ordered and arrive - I want to ride!!!
As long as you don't use something really really small it should not matter, the system is pressurized. Take a close look at the internal size of the QD's that broke, that should tell you how small you can go and still be Ok.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I happen to love the cheap quick connects. That is exactly how i got my loaded 05 with 12,000 miles for only $7,000!! I replaced mine with good metal QD's with the viton oring and have not had a problem since. :bmw:

·
Registered
710 Posts
copperstatetour said:
The simple brass pipe has no valves or anything to block the flow of fuel. If you get the correct size to fit the hoses, there will be no issues. That's what I did for my 2000 LT and did it all for about $5.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
copperstatetour said:
No problem with flow, but keep in mind that you don't want to cross the two. If you look, one disconnect goes "left to right", the other "right to left". Helps keep things straight. If you bypass the disconnects, you'll need to mark the lines for the correct re-installation.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Is there any risk that the splices would decrease the volume of flow causing any problems?
No risk as it was that way on earlier models before quick disconnects became the standard.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks for the sound advice as usual guys - going with the quick fix for now and will order the fancy QDs from beemerboneyard for the next time I am in there working on stuff. I think I am going to leave the QD on the one line that is still working fine and just put a new o-ring on, that way there is no chance of crossing the lines, which would be mucho bad :wave

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Thanks for the sound advice as usual guys - going with the quick fix for now and will order the fancy QDs from beemerboneyard for the next time I am in there working on stuff. I think I am going to leave the QD on the one line that is still working fine and just put a new o-ring on, that way there is no chance of crossing the lines, which would be mucho bad :wave
Just one caveat... if one QD failed, how much longer before the other fails also?
I would suggest replacing both and color code your lines (using colored zip ties for instance). An ounce of prevention is better than an ounce of fuel on your pants... :D .

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The male half is what fails. The hollow shaft under the O-ring is machined too thin and gives out. You can replace just the male half with metal or you can go all metal on both. Either way will work.

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
TwoTrike said:
Do away with the quick disconnects. They will always be a problem. Put in brass splices and hose clamps. If the tank has to be pulled later it can drained by having another short peice of hose ready and a gas can and pan under the area. Just pull the hose off of the outer fitting on the bottom of the gas tank which is the return line. That will drain almost all the tank with minor spillage. When you remove the inner hose which is the preasurized side take it off slowly and catch the spillage in a pan. Wear safety glasses and old clothes when doing this.
Sice someone revived a 7 year old thread... Do what Zippy said and use the brass quick disconnects. You have to take off the tank from time to time, and these make it easier on both you AND your fuel lines!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts