BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 LT has shut down like the fuel shut off. No pump sound. Won’t start in neutral. I’m thinking sidestand safety switch?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
The most common cause of sudden death on the LT is one of the fuel lines inside the tank popping off or split. Turn on the key and open the fuel cap, shine a flash light in there and cycle the kill switch several times (bike in neutral and side stand up). The pump will run for a second or so each time, if you see fuel swirling around that is your issue.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
As John said, the fuel lines inside the tank are the most likely culprit. You should be able to hear the pump prime for a few seconds by cycling the kill switch in neutral. I believe the temp light should also be lit if all the interlocks are met with the engine not running and key on. If not, then it may be the side stand switch or something else. If it is lit, then it isn't the side stand switch.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellows, pretty sure it’s the in-tank fuel line problem. I had put the BBY “hard” lines on in 2015. I thought I was done with that potential problem. I have to admit to being 12k overdue for a fuel filter replacement so I guess I’ll handle that too.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Thanks fellows, pretty sure it’s the in-tank fuel line problem. I had put the BBY “hard” lines on in 2015. I thought I was done with that potential problem. I have to admit to being 12k overdue for a fuel filter replacement so I guess I’ll handle that too.
If the nylon lines failed after 4 years, I would like to know that as I just installed mine a few months ago. I would sooner think a clamp let loose, but I am curious to hear what you find. The clamps on those relatively smooth (yes, I know they have a few ridges on them spaced apart) hoses had me concerned with them holding in place, but mine have made it 10,000 miles thus far.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Yes, I would be interested in the true nature of your failure as I also have those hard lines. I recently had the pump assembly out and replaced my pump and the lines looked good after 2 years and I reused them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll let you guys know, the bike is in a u-haul truck in Paonia still! I’m going to guess is was a slip off failure. Only 4 years but 42k miles.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure enough the filter blew off of the short nylon fuel line. I used a new crimp type clamp when installed at 24K. I blame myself for not replacing the filter and lines at 48K. Thought I’d wait till 60K. Bad idea, the filter blew off at 59,600 mi. Lesson learned!

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Sure enough the filter blew off of the short nylon fuel line. I used a new crimp type clamp when installed at 24K. I blame myself for not replacing the filter and lines at 48K. Thought I’d wait till 60K. Bad idea, the filter blew off at 59,600 mi. Lesson learned!
Glad to hear it was something simple even though it isn't simple getting to it. I used the screw clamps that came with my lines and they have been good so far.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
I don’t see how not replacing the filter and lines would have contributed to this problem. It sounds like the clamp was not crimped properly. You didn’t re-use a crimp clamp did you? I wonder how well the crimp type clamps will work on the thin nylon lines that don’t have much resilience as compared to the OEM rubber lines. The crimp clamps tend to over-tighten just a little against the rubber and then relax just a tad when the pliers are removed. With little resilience in the nylon hose, I am not sure the Oetiker style clamps will maintain enough pressure since they can’t over-tightened as much when being installed to allow for the relaxation (spring back) when the pliers are removed.

I was even a little nervous about the screw type clamps holding, but at least they don’t have the same spring back issue as with the Oetiker clamps. Mine have held so far, but only have 10,000 miles on them so not a real long-term test yet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if I had replaced the filter and lines I would have had new clamps and lines. Perhaps less pressure against the connection to the filter too. I’ll use FI screw type clamps this time.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Well if I had replaced the filter and lines I would have had new clamps and lines. Perhaps less pressure against the connection to the filter too. I’ll use FI screw type clamps this time.
make sure they are GOOD-N-TITE >:)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
Curious as to how well the short lines work. You must have replaced the engine lines as well and made them longer?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I set up the fuel line quick disconects on short fuel lines in order to make it easier for me when removing the fuel tank. My hands and fingers are very large and the set up works better for me. I can get to the quick disconnects in one easy motion. The engine fuel lines are longer in order to accomodate the set up. Also they are longer to add room for the resultant curve back to the other side of the bike threading through heat resistant cable cover and the curved spring coils. It is probably over kill, but I don't like the fact that the flexible fuel lines run close to the top of the hot engine block, thus the reason I put the fuel lines through the heat resistant cable cover. The bike has not had any problems with fuel delivery since my brother and I have owned the bike since new. Now 90,000 miles plus. See images for a closer look at the fuel system when re-installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it was a screw type EFI clamp, on a short section of EFI rubber fuel line. Not tight enough I guess! I went back together with nylon line and screw type clamp provided by BBY, real tight!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Well it was a screw type EFI clamp, on a short section of EFI rubber fuel line. Not tight enough I guess! I went back together with nylon line and screw type clamp provided by BBY, real tight!
Just a question. That short piece of hose on the filter, is that rated submersible fuel injection hose? This conversation about replacing hoses with nylon hose got my attention.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes Beech it was 8 mm submersible EFI fuel line. The line still appears to be in good condition, flexible and intact.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts