BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first post I just inherited my fathers 1997 K1100LT he hasn't registered or riden it in 4 years. Cleaning out the fuel system, cleaning electrical connections oil lude and fluid flush everything nothing too excessivly expensive thus far that is till I got to the side stand, for such a weak under engineered piece they really want alot for a new one.

Current one is snapped off I was unaware of the flimsy nature of the sidestand when we trailerd the bike to my shop and it resulted in the sidestand snapping 100 feet from home.

My question is what bikes side stands will work on the K1100LT? (So I can search ebay and the like for the best price since $160 from BMW just isn't gonna happen) Does anyone make an aftermarket sidestand that is an upgrade, not looking to store it on the sidestand but would be nice to leave it on the stand when running around a bit, at reast stops with the group or just pulling it out of the garage getting ready.

I will say the center stand is great on this bike easiest bike to get on centerstand I've ever owned.

Pland B will be to fill the sidestand with a metal rod as a plug and weld it as one solid sidestand then heat and quench in oil.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Welcome Tiny,
Fist question is were you towing the bike while it was on the side stand?
If so that is why it broke, You never ever trailer a bike on its side stand as it is not made to take the stress. The stand is not that flimsy under proper use.
The Part number is 46532312787
Here is a google search of that number

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't you know someone that can weld it for you? I once too made the mistake of putting down the side stand on my Dakar while trailering it thinking it would be more stable. It was until one day when I put the kickstand down and the stand made a crack sound and fell over. I just had a friend grind it up real nice and welded it. the hardest part was finding the right angle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts