BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a long hard look at a bike for my wife and I found a 93 K1100LT with 26k on the clock. The bike is at an Independent Motorcycle Dealer who tells me that the gas tank had developed a small leak so they sent it out to be repaired. The tank is back and the bike will be ready for a test ride on Tuesday. Did the K1100LT's have any known issues that I should be concerned about (my research indicates that that model is almost bulletproof but I recognize that may vary from bike to bike depending on maintenance and perhaps model year)? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
K1100's are pretty bulletproof. They can have the same o-ring oil leak problem in the clutch area that the K1200's have, but it's a lot easier to get to on a K1100. I would be more concerned with the leaking fuel tank. Those tanks are made of aluminum, and usually leak from water corrosion in the welded seams along the bottom edge. If there was a pinhole from rot that was welded up, it is likely that it will start to leak elsewhere. I would ask for a new tank or a written guarantee of tank replacement of at least a year before buying the bike, unless you can pay a price that is cheap enough to replace it later.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. Will talk to the the dealer on Tuesday about the tank.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Is it the K100 or the K1100 that have a hot air coming from the engine towards the riders 'down under'?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
strsout said:
Is it the K100 or the K1100 that have a hot air coming from the engine towards the riders 'down under'?
The 100 is definitely a little toaster oven, I had 3 of them [email protected],[email protected] almost 200K then went right to the 1200.
Down south in the summer, I used to unzip the leg of my pants to the top of my combat touring boots, leaving the velcro tight around the ankle, it made wind scoops, you could vary the amount by pivoting your toe in or out, with heal on pegs.
Rock

·
Registered
7 Posts
It does sound like the bike sat with some water inside the tank. The K-bikes fuel pump also does not do well with old stale gas. Once the gas starts to break down it turns the rubber the fuel pump is sitting in into a horrible tar like substance.

But with that few of miles on the bike it has a long life left in it. I bought my '93 K1100LT 3 years ago with 23k miles on it. It now has 54k on it.

Just like my old K100's eventually did my bike is starting to have a small leak out of the rear main seal. It just seems like these start to leak on K-bikes after they get to be 10-15 years old. I will replace it this winter and then I will have complete confidence in this bike taking me where ever I want to go.

I am on several other forums and can't believe I am just now finding this one.

·
Registered
938 Posts
JCabranes said:
I'm taking a long hard look at a bike for my wife and I found a 93 K1100LT with 26k on the clock. The bike is at an Independent Motorcycle Dealer who tells me that the gas tank had developed a small leak so they sent it out to be repaired. The tank is back and the bike will be ready for a test ride on Tuesday. Did the K1100LT's have any known issues that I should be concerned about (my research indicates that that model is almost bulletproof but I recognize that may vary from bike to bike depending on maintenance and perhaps model year)? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Did you but an 1100? I've got one I will sell. Just wandering how tall your wife is though. they sit a bit higher than my 1200 with the seat in high position. I would even drive it out there for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have both a K1100LT and a K1200LT. I bought my K1100LT about 4 years ago to sidecar it. But, I ended up with the K12 as the sidecar tug because of the design of the Hannigan KLT and probably for the "reverse" ability.
One thing is the inseam length the K11LT requires. It is a taller m/c than your K1200LT. It is also top heavy but being 200 lbs lighter than a K12 it seems like a feather in comparison! It is as "bullet proof" as so many have said. It just runs and runs and runs. Mine gets 50 mpg and is a beautiful example of the classic look of the K100/K1100.............. Occasionally I have heard the exhaust manifold studs/ nutz loosening and leakage developing with possible problems there but that is just hear-say for me. The K1200LT could only hope for as few problems! (I have done my FD crown bearing plus clutch slave already, 44 thousand miles) on my K12LT............. So there it is, one beautiful touring m/c and reasonably priced. The one your looking at should be ABS-2, right? The fuel tank issue could be a big one................... don't even think of buying one unless you have alot of money. Get whatever warrantee you can get. The whole bottom edge of that tank probably needs TIG welding plus a matching paint job and that total is big bucks. The earlier responder is right on target. Also, the K1100LT is very easy to add electronic cruise control plus it really works well (about 130 dollars).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tourdog said:
Also, the K1100LT is very easy to add electronic cruise control plus it really works well (about 130 dollars).
Tell me more about this. What brand ? Got any pic's or details about installation.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ridealot said:
Tell me more about this. What brand ? Got any pic's or details about installation.
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/k11cruise/k11cruiseInstall.shtml

It's an Audiovox cruise control. You have to do some things to get it installed right, but it pretty much says what all you have to make or do. The unit is not waterproof but if you silicone the box it works just as good. I think the unit is 88 dollars.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ironbuttwannabe said:
Did you but an 1100? I've got one I will sell. Just wandering how tall your wife is though. they sit a bit higher than my 1200 with the seat in high position. I would even drive it out there for you.
If she was still looking I'd probably take you up on your offer. But she bought a '95 K75 with 29k on the clock. She's happy so I'm happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put almost 80k on my 97-K1100LT and it never stranded me by the side of the road. That said, it would not be my first choice for most women riders. These are tall and top heavy bikes, sooo easy to drop. If your wife is comfortable riding the K12LT, then it's no problem. In the summer the gas tank and left rear side of the fairing (knee pad area) can double as a cook stove. ;^)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it's a very late reply with respect to when the message was posted and you probably already bought a bike by now, but I thought I'd share my K1100LT experience.

I've owned my 1994 K1100LT for 4 years now. I've put ~50K miles on it on all kinds of road.

The bike is basically perfect, except for one very expensive flaw.

My particular bike has been plagued, every year of the 4 I've owned it, by having to replace the entire clutch because of the O-ring seal problem.

The first time it cost me $1100 at the dealer for a replacement, and the guy didnt think to check that final O-ring. I ended up back at the dealer in 2 weeks with a dead clutch from the leak.

They went back in, replaced it (and the clutch) and I rode it for a few months until it got too cold. Took it back out and bam, dead clutch, this time I knew exactly why.

I took it back to the dealer, and had a talk with the main manager, the service manager, and the the mechanic who did the work. They replaced it a Third time (free of charge) and said "we're sure we got that seal fixed this time".

By this time I had collected anything I could find on this type of problem with this series of bike.

Well on july 4th of last year, BAM...dead clutch...

I took it back up, and of course it was a seal. I sat the same three guys down and we had a long talk. They fixed it and said they had replaced literally every part except the transmission housing and had all three mechanics go back over everything. They also owned up and said they had been using a home-made tool to get the seals into position instead of the actual BMW tools.

I was a little dumbfounded why a BMW dealer would resort to that and not just get factory tools/etc and if they were doing that with these seals what else should I be worried about with their work. I've never had any problems with anything else they've done, just this set of buried in there O-rings/seals but I had to vent.

I have just started riding it again this year so I don't know if I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to the dealer, but if I do I've pretty much decided to get it fixed, sell it and get another bike AND another place to take it.

People ask why I keep taking it back, the answer is simple : They did the work, they stand behind it, even after taking it back 4 times over 4 years for the same problem. I did'nt want to shell out another $1200 for that repair at another dealer who may have the same problem. There are only 3 I know of in Virginia and 2 of them are 3 hours away.

Dealer issues aside, I guess I'm one of the few who have had this issue crop up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
.. had 97 K1100LT, for 2 years with no problem, lot of fun, however, be aware of the high Central of Gravity, I wouldn't recommend for short riders.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but also wanted to add a thought regarding the K1100LT. I had one, loved it EXCEPT for the K-Buzz at (if I remember) around 4000 RPM's. The darn thing had that buzz that you could feel through the seat and handlebars, which just happened to be around 72 MPH...exactly where you might spend some time cruising. I know the answer was go 80, but it was still annoying to have to deal with it. I eventually sold the bike for just that reason. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
pickerbiker said:
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but also wanted to add a thought regarding the K1100LT. I had one, loved it EXCEPT for the K-Buzz at (if I remember) around 4000 RPM's. The darn thing had that buzz that you could feel through the seat and handlebars, which just happened to be around 72 MPH...exactly where you might spend some time cruising. I know the answer was go 80, but it was still annoying to have to deal with it. I eventually sold the bike for just that reason. Just my thoughts.
Ah yes, now I remember that with my K100. At 80 she settled down and was smooth as silk. Air deflection pushing down on the bike was perfect at that speed too. Felt like the wheels were glued to the road. :bmw:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts