BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing either a 1995 K1100 Lt or a 1990 K75RT. Any pro/cons or other thoughts regarding this purchase. I am new to the BMW line so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The K11LT had two characteristics that some riders disliked: (1) in hot weather it dumped lots of heat in your lap, and (2) buzzy vibration, the result of a hard-mounted 4 cylinder engine with no internal counterbalancers. The K75RT has less power, but as a 3 cylinder engine with a single counterbalancing shaft (all you need for a 3 cylinder engine), is the smoothest engine BMW ever built.

Both of these K11LT characteristics were addressed (and cured) on the first K12LT: engine heat was successfully ducted away from the rider, and the engine was vibration-isolated from the frame. Since the engine was no longer a stressed member of the frame it should have been redesigned to reduce weight, but BMW doesn't have deep pockets the way the Japanese companies do.
I have a good friend who put 198,000 miles on his K75 - valves were checked on schedule but never needed adjusting.

- Bob

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
One up go for the K75. I had a 87 K100 and my brother-inlaw had a 87 K75. My K100 was too hot if the temp was over 80 degrees. Don't know if they resolved the heat issue in 95 or not. His K75 was very smooth, mine had vibration or buzz at certain rmps, but was silky smooth at 80MPH and 5000 RPM. The K75 is a classic, some consider it better than the K100 or K1100s. So do you need the extra power?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I just purchased a K1100LT (10/10/05) and rode it 410 miles back home. First impressions are that it has plenty of power and very nimble. Maybe more throttle response than my former '05 K1200LT. Very slight vibration through the handle bars which seems to be taken up nicely by the isolating mounts. But, when I used the outside highway pegs it was very noticeable. Cockpit provides adequate protection and the small adjustable wind screen provides very adiquate protection from the wind. As per the K1200LT the mirrors are such that it is difficult to view traffic directly behind you without moving your arms inward. But hey, if your going fast enough, why worry! :p

I really like that it has cockpit storage, but the radio compartment is hard to access while in motion. The radio does have a search mode and volume control mounted on the left handle bar for operating while under way so the inconvenience is minimal.

On the heat issue I can't comment because I was riding it in cooler weather but I am sure I will be able to comment on the issue come next summer. ;)

The bike preformed flawlessly the entire trip with the exception of a break light warning on the dash. Come to find out, there are no rear breaks! Looks like a bit of surgery is in order. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Congratulations Woody. I'm glad you're back on the road. As far as the brakes are concerned, consider this mantra (intoned with your best impressions of a Grif): Brakes, Brakes, Don't need no stink'n brakes.;)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
eatanner said:
Congratulations Woody. I'm glad you're back on the road. As far as the brakes are concerned, consider this mantra (intoned with your best impressions of a Grif): Brakes, Brakes, Don't need no stink'n brakes.;)
Thanks Edgar, and that's exactly what I was thinking on the way back :p

Should really get 'em fixed tho for them stops that ya gotta make all of a sudden like ;). I have a bit of time whilest I await the title to come. Besides I want to disrobe the critter to get up close and personal with her.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My first BMW was the K75RT on which I travelled many comfortable kilometers. In my experience the engine is very smooth and is adequate for a light rider without luggage. Because I was looking for more power I traded in the K75RT for a K1100LT. The engine gave noticable more vibrations but had lots more power. And that gives so much pleasure taking it throught the twisties...

·
Registered
265 Posts
K75rt

I owned a 94 K75RT ABS. Smoothest motor you'll ever find. The RT does throw off alot of heat. I put duct tape over the vent holes on the fairing. It cured the heat problem and I never had any problem with engine over heating. The motor needs to run at higher rpm for passing but that is NO problem. The motor never used a drop of oil. All and all the K75RT was a great bike. The reason we sold the bike is my wife is very tall and she had leg room problems with the fairing and was too flexed for comfort on the pegs. Otherwise this bike would be a keeper in my garage for a very long time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts