BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've been away for a while since I sold my K1200LT. Just picked up a 1985 K100RT in great shape with 90k miles on it. The previous owner had it 17years. I do not know too much about the K100RT. Can anyone tell me pros/cons of this bike?
It is pretty much stock except he did swap the springs and shock for a progressive set.
Thank you for your time!!!
Hip

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If it runs and drives, You've probably got a good bike there.

K motor, Bulletproof...Older style driveline, Also way bulletproof...Cable clutch, No slave cylinder to fail...
Check the driveshaft....That is all...

R bike... very nice...

Should be a good combo.

Is this the one that was for sale on ADVRider ?

I'd say you'll get somewhere around 45 mpg.

Have fun,

John

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
Thank you! I found it using searchtempest.com which searches Craigslist for whatever distance away from you that you input. Not sure if it was listed elseware?

The bike is in great shape and is one of 3 the guy owned. Came with extra seats, extra exhaust, & manuals. This is the 3rd K-bike I've owned and I'm excited about it!

All my BMW's so far (except the R100RT) got 40's mpg and the K1200LT could get over 50mpg taking it easy(53mpg was the best I got once). Someone told me that the fuel injection on this 1985 K100 is a early version and may not be as efficient. I will know come Saturday!! Gonna ride it over to the Leesburg Bike-fest.
I want to add more lighting and brake lights(hyper lites?) for visability reasons.

Is this bike the one I have to worry about spline/spline lube issues?

How do I add the local temp like yours to my signature??

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I think you pretty much have to spline lube them all at some point..
Although I've never heard of it on the LT...:rolleyes: I guess that's because there's so many things that can take the clutch out that no one has ever had to do "just a spline lube'.
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't have any downshifting issues
That's where it usually shows up...You pull the clutch in and press on the shifter and it's stuck. Clutch again and it frees itself...That's the sign of dry splines...

Just right click on the banner thingie and select properties. Then you'll see where it came from....

John

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Things to check on the 85 K100RT are:
Drive shaft to final drive splines. These need to be lubed around every 15,000 miles or every tire change. Very easy to do on this bike.

Engine cooling fan: Does it spin freely, You can reach in from the right side and spin it.

MPG: over the 40,000 miles I have owned mine it runs between 38 - 43 MPG. Depends on speed you drive at.

Clutch splines: When or if its get hard to down shift these will probably require lubing. Again fairly easy job on these compared to the K1200 LT

Another thing to check is the crankcase vent tube. It is a "Z" shaped rubber hose that goes from the top of the block to the air box. It is located behind the coils on the left rear of the engine. These crack over time and make the bike run rough. Can be changed with out removing more than the side covers.

Battery side covers: These have two push-in tabs in each upper corner and the you have to slide them towards the rear of the bike to remove a third sliding donut off of a peg. Keep ALL three of these engagement points lubed or you will break the ears off of the side covers.

Other than those items these are pretty much maintenace free. For one up riding I will take my K RT over the K LT every time.

enjoy

Roy

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
To the above about cracked hoses I would also add to check or replace the rubber caps next to each throttle body. They are covering small tubes that will create a vacuum leak if the caps come off or crack. You can get some replacements at the auto parts store. I believe they are 5/32" caps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've had a 1985 K100RT for about 13yrs now. Haven't ridden it much since I got the LT but was not afraid to go anywhere on it. Took it to Key West from Tn the year I bought the LT so that was the last trip on it. Lube the splines as has been mentioned. I have had the battery,headlight dim switch,and starter button fail over the years. Not bad in my opinion. I love this bike but will probably let it go as I just don't ride it as often now :( might replace it with a GS just to have a more versatile stable.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
My first BMW was an '87 k100rt. Nice bike and nealy bullet proof, but above 80 degrees you're gonna get your nuts roasted. :D

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
mwnahas said:
above 80 degrees you're gonna get your nuts roasted. :D
Helps me recover from the winter months :D
I stop hearing "it's not that cold out" :eek2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
mwnahas said:
My first BMW was an '87 k100rt. Nice bike and nealy bullet proof, but above 80 degrees you're gonna get your nuts roasted. :D
Yeah, I forgot about that part. It was nearly un-rideable without the Baker Air Wings on the hottest days.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hip
Here's a link that I've used over the the years. if covers a lot of diy functions for k bikes.
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
I've still got my "brick' and as other have pointed out, this bike is mechanically indestructible. The fairings are another matter!

Enjoy the ride....:wave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts