BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****Let me begin by saying that I really tried to find an answer to this question in the 'Search' feature. However, one of its less endearing qualities is the wholesale elimination of search terms it feels are 'too short' or 'too common.' So looking for K&N and 163 is nothing more than a delightful waste of time.*****

That being said, The K&N 164 oil filter is listed for our bikes and measures out at 55mm tall. The K&N 163 filter is ALSO recommended for our bikes and tops out at 90mm in height. I know that K&N is proud of their products, but does anyone else here see an issue when two different filters--one nearly twice as tall as the other--are supposed to do the same job? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not really sure what you are getting, when I search I only get the KN-163 (see attached screen clip). This is the same filter as my BMW boxer, I am guessing that just about every BMW moto with the possible exception of some of the smaller displacement blocks use the same filter for stealer stock purposes.

I am using the KN-163 with no problem, however I can imagine a problem getting the stubby one in and out at ~half the height.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 - 3 of 3 Posts