BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to remap anything in a 2006 LT if you replace the stock air filter with the K&N? Also, what do you get by doing so?

More HP?

Better MPG?

Just curious. I can't find anything already posted, but I'm new to the site so I may have missed it. Thanks for the guidance.

Sammy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Last time I checked K&N doesn't have a filter for our Bikes or at least 05 and above
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
sgroover said:
Do you have to remap anything in a 2006 LT if you replace the stock air filter with the K&N? Also, what do you get by doing so?

More HP?

Better MPG?

Just curious. I can't find anything already posted, but I'm new to the site so I may have missed it. Thanks for the guidance.

Sammy
You get nothing but increased potential for engine damage from the lousy filtration inherent in the K&N design.

Well, that's not quite true -- you get an additional maintenance chore (periodic cleaning and re-oiling the filter).

You will get ZERO performance gain. The flying brick motors are *not* airflow constrained -- there have been dyno runs on early k bikes (similar airbox arrangements to the K12) with stock and K&N filters -- and NO filter -- and there was no power gain in any case. Despite the K&N snakeoil marketing hype, there is no untapped power waiting to be "unleashed" in this design's intake filter.

The BMW filter provides excellent filtration with essentially no flow resistance, and maintains this performance over a long period. In contrast, the K&N when new/clean allows more, and larger, particles to pass through (damaging engine internals), at least until enough dirt is built up on the oil on the filter to use the built-up dirt to provide additional filtering -- at which point the K&N is dirty enough to be more restrictive than the OE filter.

Do your self a favor and put your money into some other farkle -- the K&N is a rip-off, particularly in this application.

Can ya tell I'm not keen on the K&N? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
mneblett said:
You get nothing but increased potential for engine damage from the lousy filtration inherent in the K&N design.

Well, that's not quite true -- you get an additional maintenance chore (periodic cleaning and re-oiling the filter).

You will get ZERO performance gain. The flying brick motors are *not* airflow constrained -- there have been dyno runs on early k bikes (similar airbox arrangements to the K12) with stock and K&N filters -- and NO filter -- and there was no power gain in any case. Despite the K&N snakeoil marketing hype, there is no untapped power waiting to be "unleashed" in this design's intake filter.

The BMW filter provides excellent filtration with essentially no flow resistance, and maintains this performance over a long period. In contrast, the K&N when new/clean allows more, and larger, particles to pass through (damaging engine internals), at least until enough dirt is built up on the oil on the filter to use the built-up dirt to provide additional filtering -- at which point the K&N is dirty enough to be more restrictive than the OE filter.

Do your self a favor and put your money into some other farkle -- the K&N is a rip-off, particularly in this application.

Can ya tell I'm not keen on the K&N? :D
Agree completely!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
I have a K&N filter. I'm very fond of it. It was given to me as a freebee by someone who sent it along with a final drive to be repaired. I guess they didn't want it very much, considering they gave it to me without me even asking for it.
They sorta used it for additional shipping padding when they boxed up the final drive. I know it worked pretty good for that 'cause the FD didn't have any shipping damage whatsoever.

The K&N filter is a nice red colored sponge kinda thing, still in its orignal sealed wrapper, and I keep it on my shelf along with other things I might use for something someday.

Maybe it'll go into an old junk lawnmower.... or I'll use it as a sponge to clean my New Holland tractor; I don't wash my tractor too much. I'm told the K&N filter is an execellent product that will increase power output, so I'm thinking that if I wash my tractor with it I'm gonna get 40HP out of that 32HP diesel.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I have a K&N filter. I'm very fond of it. It was given to me as a freebee by someone who sent it along with a final drive to be repaired. I guess they didn't want it very much, considering they gave it to me without me even asking for it.
They sorta used it for additional shipping padding when they boxed up the final drive. I know it worked pretty good for that 'cause the FD didn't have any shipping damage whatsoever.

The K&N filter is a nice red colored sponge kinda thing, still in its orignal sealed wrapper, and I keep it on my shelf along with other things I might use for something someday.

Maybe it'll go into an old junk lawnmower.... or I'll use it as a sponge to clean my New Holland tractor; I don't wash my tractor too much. I'm told the K&N filter is an execellent product that will increase power output, so I'm thinking that if I wash my tractor with it I'm gonna get 40HP out of that 32HP diesel.
:histerica :histerica :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
Watch out, if you soup up that tractor you might have a problem with it's rear differential!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
Hi Sammy,
To mitigate the facetious responses, I know there are some folks who think that the K&N filters are a good product and swear by them. There are threads on this site with much discussion and no real conclusions. As you can see, current responders to your query aren't convinced of any superiority of the K&N filter. IIRC some folks like the idea of saving a few bucks because the K&N can be washed and reused. I don't think there is any real evidence supporting performance improvement unless it is part of a much more involved modification of the bike which leads to a whole other discussion; so much for "increased air flow".
As far as filtration, again, folks will take sides but I doubt there is any really good data to suggest that K&N filters better, and lots of folks will say it filters less well.

There are plenty of testimonials like: "I've used K&N in my fleet of vehicles for 20 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, and they're great....", so you can hang your hat on those if you want to.

I personally think that they probably don't filter as well as the stock filter, and they offer no performance improvement, at least not enough to make it worth the trouble and risks.

So there you go.
Have fun.

sgroover said:
Do you have to remap anything in a 2006 LT if you replace the stock air filter with the K&N? Also, what do you get by doing so?

More HP?

Better MPG?

Just curious. I can't find anything already posted, but I'm new to the site so I may have missed it. Thanks for the guidance.

Sammy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
I am going to have to agree with Curtis on this........I did install a K&N in a work truck a couple of years ago......the sort of truck that spends the majority of it's life out on a hot, dusty desert. The fact that I can pop the filter out and clean and re-oil it, when ever needed is a major plus. However, when it comes down to it, I am not convinced that it filters the intake any better than the original paper element, and I believe the original style will remain in use in my personal LT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
On a Harley you can have the air filter off in less than 1 minute. On a LT you have to disassemble the entire bike. I don't know why anyone would make this task more frequent on purpose for any reason including the mythical performance gain.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top