BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy belated Thanksgiving, We had ours a month ago.

Can I get some feedback as to what my 05 LT may be worth. Ocean Blue, fully equipped except for the BMW GPS wiring harness. I have the wiring installed for the Zumo 550. 40,000 miles, 90% highway, new tires, all maintenance records, new rear 5 pin rotor and brakes, trailer hitch.

I have looked online and find the pricing confusing. I see an 05 LT for $23,500 and an 07 for $29,000. Seems a bit much to me.

Thanks,

Bill
Ocean Blue
05 K1200 LT
 

·
Cat Herder
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Considering the dollars are very close in value, $29k if higher than a new 2009
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I always check cycletrader.com or oodle . These two have a large number of LT's across the USA and would give you a better idea what your bike is worth.

:wave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Try this (Kelly) for info as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
The AMERICAN Kelly blue book is listed below - which is not reflective of Canadian prices which should be significantly higher. LT's sold new in the US are the least expensive in the world.

If I was looking for a used LT - the trailer hitch and mileage (which is about double what is expected for an 05) would be negatives. Your mention of "90% highway" is also a negative. Assuming that you rode 10% of the time on dirt roads I would expect a lot of pitting on the lower portion of the bike which would be a cosmetic issue.

If your bike was an Arizona "garage queen" with under 10,000 miles, never towed and had never been on a dirt road I think you could get close to what the Blue Book mentions, but quite frankly with the North American economy and demand for "toys" like ours at an all time low I would not get too excited.

If you can hold off until spring I think you'll get a much better response. Very tough seasonal time to sell right now.

I wonder if there is a snowmobile conversion kit for the LT? :D
 

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,569 Posts
I think the "90% highway" means the other 10% was local paved roads (city riding), not dirt roads. :)

The rest of Ron's comments are spot-on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
meese said:
I think the "90% highway" means the other 10% was local paved roads (city riding), not dirt roads. :)

The rest of Ron's comments are spot-on.
Shucks Ken, you know all of us desert rats think that the Great White North is all just frozen tundra and lots of moose - or is that meese? ;)

Somehow I had "Alaska" on the brain - Burnaby is of course next to Vancouver, home to all the liberal, tree hugging, pinko communists hosers in Canada and one of my favorite cities. They even have paved roads! Kevin would feel right at home there! :stir:

I'm partial to Victoria and Kelowna as well. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Generally speaking, a fair price for a "sold by owner "bike with average mileage is between the trade-in value and retail values, which for a 2005 should be around $11K, in the US. But considering that most people only ride 7-8 months a year, 40K miles are kind of excessive on a four years old bike. The fact that you also pulled a trailer would make the bike less attractive because it increased the wear and tear of the transmission and final drive, in my opinion.

I think that in the US you could expect to get between $9K to $10K. I purchased my '05 with 3200 miles in August for less than $10K, but realistically it could have been sold for $11K+ if the seller had been more patient.

I understand that in some other countries prices may be higher by 20-30%. My bike has 5300 miles now but if any Canadian wants to buy it for $16-17K I'm willing to deliver it.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top