BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Just What We Need IsAnother Oil Thread

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  paveltlc 
#1 ·
Yea I know, but as much as I use the search function I can almost never get it to weed out what I looking for...so....

Got a mail flier this weekend from my local NAPA and I noticed that they have the NAPA brand of 15-50 synthetic oil on sale for $3.99/qt.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NSC75510

I have been using the Mobil or BMW brand in my LT since I bought it. Just wondering has any one ever used the NAPA brand before? Is there really a difference other than the name? I mean saving $6 a qt could really help out a retired guy, but I don't want it at the expense of the motor....what say you?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Lots of different opinions on this (to say the least!), but I've run Rotella for years in my bikes (I run the T6 synthetic) and currently have it in all three (one wet, two dry clutches). Never had an issue with it, and you can buy it at Walmart. A buddy of mine, an aircraft mechanic by trade, uses it also.

#3 ·
#6 ·
A company called Blackstone Laboratories that offers oil analysis did some testing to find out which oil is the best. An oil's most important job is preventing wear, so they measured the amount of wear metal in used oil of different brands used under the same conditions. What they found is there is no significant difference between oil brands that meet the same specification. The kind of engine and operating conditions had far more impact on the amount of wear metal found than the brand of oil used.

I would post a link to the study, but the system won't allow me to post links yet. Go to blackstone-labs dot com, click NEWSLETTERS under the INFORMATION menu at the top, then click "Which Brand is Best?"

#8 ·
I used Rotella in my Vulcan 2000 and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and it stopped using oil.

#10 ·
Wow, I’ve never seen an oil that could lower the fuel consumption that much. That is like a zillion miles per gallon! >:)

#11 ·
This morning, I'm heading to Walmart to buy next season's stash of oil. 15/30 Mobil one, $19/5 quarts. I've used it since 50K on the bike-now at 199,505 and little or no oil burn.

#12 ·
You meant 15W50, right? 5W30 is pretty light for the LT so I assume the 3 was the typo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.