BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here and I just wanted to say hello

After buying a BMW K1200S last Sept which I fell in love with. I pulled the trigger and bought a K1200LT. Its winter here and so I cant do much riding. So Im here to ask advice on do's and dont's of the LT and if there anyhting I need to prepare for. Its going to be nice having both bikes the KS for me and the LT for myself and my GF.

Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
I suggest you start reading just about everything in the "K1200LT Info" section of the "Technical" pull down menu. The FAQ, Hall of Wisdom and Accessories sections will keep you busy for a little while. There is lots of information there.

I suggest you fill in some of the info in your user profile so people can learn a little more about you too.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Must do.

Get the chip and pipe. The Rhinewest chip and the Remus exhaust. The best aftermarket junk I bought for a motorcycle. The chip makes it run smoother and exhaust makes it sound deeper, depending which one you get. I swear it has more horsepower and it is fast off the line. Either way do know it makes the LT run better. Enjoy.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
trfnj74 said:
First time posting here and I just wanted to say hello

After buying a BMW K1200S last Sept which I fell in love with. I pulled the trigger and bought a K1200LT. Its winter here and so I cant do much riding. So Im here to ask advice on do's and dont's of the LT and if there anyhting I need to prepare for. Its going to be nice having both bikes the KS for me and the LT for myself and my GF.

Thanks
trfn74..... Welcome to the nut house I know you'll enjoy the LT it's a great ride.There is a lot on info on this site to help you out with questions on the "Big Girl" :D
BTW please fill out your profile so we know a lil 'bout ya and what part of da world you are in.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
trfn74 (boy, I'd hate to use that name conversationally!) welcome to the most knowledgable web site for the LT! Also the friendliest group of folks out there in my opinion. You're going to love the LT!

On the subject that many folks have already mentioned: your profile. The reason it is desired is so people who may live near to you will know they can be of assistance with the Bike! And we can know which Tech Sessions would benefit you the most, cause you will soon be wanting to add Farkles to the Bike. It's inevitable!

Look forward to seeing your future postings.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies.....

I will start reading this forum as you have suggested. It seems like that all Ive been doing is reading. After I got my 06 KS couldnt stop reading because there are a few good forums for that bike.
I have up dated my profile and will upload some pictures when I get a chance. BTW...I live in Templeton MA where its really cold right now.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Welcome Tom, you have lots of time for reading and asking questions this time of year. :D
I read about the LT for a year before I pulled the trigger. These guys almost scared me off with the warnings about slow speed handeling and rear end failures. The LT just needs more attention and respect at slow speeds than some other bikes. I found the people on this board to be very helpful so, just ASK. This site also helped me to find new freinds, other LT riders close to me. You're off to a great start. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey, Tom, welcome to the forum. It's great to have another New England LT rider in the bunch. I live not too far away (as the LT flies) in CT. Sorry about the Pats. Listen, some guys have gotten together a couple of times to have Tech sessions or to ride, so be sure to check out the North East forum in the regional forums section as well. (Is the plural of forum "forums" or "fora?") And believe me, with the right gear (long undies, good overpants, heated vest, good boots and gloves, baclava) it is not too cold to ride the LT. Fire up the seat and hand warmers, turn on the heated vest, you'll be toasty!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom. I think many will agree the first farkle you need, also the most bang for your bucks, is the low beam HID. There is a group buy going on until Jan 31st for about $85.00 shipped to your place. You can do a search on this forum and find out the details!
You will love the LT!;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you dropped it yet? Just kidding. My best mods were to add an intercom and install the newer throttle cables. I just got the $65 Autocom music lead soldered in today (cable's about 100% overpriced IMHO). Hey if anybody wants the circuit diagram to try to whip out their own, I'll post it. Nothing in there but a couple of little $4.00 isolation transformers and four resistors but I will say this: a simple radio shack cable won't work, for sure.
-Kent

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
FlyOrBike said:
Have you dropped it yet? Just kidding. My best mods were to add an intercom and install the newer throttle cables. I just got the $65 Autocom music lead soldered in today (cable's about 100% overpriced IMHO). Hey if anybody wants the circuit diagram to try to whip out their own, I'll post it. Nothing in there but a couple of little $4.00 isolation transformers and four resistors but I will say this: a simple radio shack cable won't work, for sure.
-Kent
Kent, please do post the diagram. I have an Autocom as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome on board. The people here are very helpful. Just don't hang around here to much or you will find that they will encourage you to spend a fortune on farkles. Ron

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, and the folks in this thing of ours here are some of the finest you will encounter. Find yourself in a quandry, or just trying to determine the "best" way to proceed into unfamiliar territory? Ask it here and prepare to be amazed at the knowledge, kindness, and support that flows. Oh yeah, also be prepared to have your chops broken from time to time. It's (almost) all in good spirits!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts