BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the local BMW dealer to get an idea of what they were going to charge me for a 12K service & rear tire on my 2005 LT.

Here is their breakdown:
Standard Service – 995.00
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00

I have been in the auto business all my life. One of the stores I work for is a Lexus dealer. Their most expensive service is the 60K and includes everything above (except the tire) with the addition of a timing belt, spark plugs, balance and rotate tires, air and fuel filters and a free car wash. That service for a $90,000.00 Lexus LS430 is $1200.00. If this same service were done at a BMW motorcycle shop it would be about $4000.00.

Am I crazy or is this just flat out gouging? I have decided to do these things myself even if it takes me a week. I don’t mind paying for good service by knowledgeable techs, but this borders on outrageous. I thought my Harley service was expensive but this is ridiculous.

As a side note the service manager called me and asked why I didn’t keep my appointment. I basically outlined my concerns above and gave him the opportunity to still get my business if the pricing was different. He wasn’t very sympathetic and didn’t seem to mind me canceling based on the price issue.

I miss my Hondas and Suzukis!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
maybe it's the cost of doing business in that area but I have never had to pay more than 1 grand for any check including tires. Since I don't work on my bike I've always gone to dealers. Roman Cycle outside of Youngstown, Ohio and BMW of Pittsburgh, Pa. were the 2 I used before I moved to La. and since then I've been to Gulf Coast in Houston, Tx and Hebert Cycle in Baton Rouge, La. I will admit that I usually do the tires on there own as its easy to remove a wheel and cheaper to get them online but I did have to have a rear tire with one of my 12k checks and I think the bill was around $900 at BMW of Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
tonygret said:
So I went to the local BMW dealer to get an idea of what they were going to charge me for a 12K service & rear tire on my 2005 LT.

Here is their breakdown:
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00

I have been in the auto business all my life. One of the stores I work for is a Lexus dealer. Their most expensive service is the 60K and includes everything above (except the tire) with the addition of a timing belt, spark plugs, balance and rotate tires, air and fuel filters and a free car wash. That service for a $90,000.00 Lexus LS430 is $1200.00. If this same service were done at a BMW motorcycle shop it would be about $4000.00.

Am I crazy or is this just flat out gouging? I have decided to do these things myself even if it takes me a week. I don’t mind paying for good service by knowledgeable techs, but this borders on outrageous. I thought my Harley service was expensive but this is ridiculous.

As a side note the service manager called me and asked why I didn’t keep my appointment. I basically outlined my concerns above and gave him the opportunity to still get my business if the pricing was different. He wasn’t very sympathetic and didn’t seem to mind me canceling based on the price issue.

I got all of the above from my dealer for $1,100.00. Would have been less without the tire.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
That is why many of us learn to do at least some of our own maintenance.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
tonygret said:

Here is their breakdown:
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00

That seems high, but I'm not yet had my 12K done (coming up soon though), so I can't offer a head-to-head comparison with my local dealer. Having stripped down the LT once now to about the point required for the 12K, I can see where some of the cost comes in. I probably spent 3-4 hours just on the tupperware (but this was my first time). I stripped it down so I could install a Fuzeblock and PIAA lights and a tailBlazer for my luggage rack LEDs. I probably spent 10 hours total on this work, but much of that was finding the right wires and then tapping into them and doing a proper solder wire attachment and multiple coats of liquid tape to keep moisture at bay.

As for the Lexus comparison, if you had to remove all of the bodywork on the Lexus to do the maintenance, I'll bet you that would get pretty pricey also!

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
WOW $$$ - like many others I have reverted to this group for inspiration, guidance, advice, counsel, along with publications, videos and more. Besides the fact that the dealership left town going on three years now.

The only time my dealer saw the bike was at the 600 mile marker - all other service and the addition of farkles has been completed by myself - going on 50,000 miles. Made a few mistakes, learned a lot and am very confident the work was done in a complete and professional manner.

I remember when I picked up the bike for the first time I spotted loose fasteners and wiring not terminated properly - just from a visual inspection - dealer had little to no reaction. So I am not all that convinced that the pressure to make money, the pressure on the mechanics to turn around the bike in minimal time, the systems and people they operate under yield the best cost versus service benefits.

I also understand some people buy the bike with absolutely no intention to be the mechanic or those that have discretionary funds and have no issue with this cost of service - that's just not me!!

Good luck in the future and keep a log on your activities and how much you save - helps justify farkles!! :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Voyager said:
As for the Lexus comparison, if you had to remove all of the bodywork on the Lexus to do the maintenance, I'll bet you that would get pretty pricey also!
Good point. But the engine compartment on this car is not easy to get around, especially when removing the valve covers. And all the extra parts that are used on the Lexus service count for something in the pricing.

I appreciate all the input!

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
You got it right for sure!

Now start using the search function and reading, and using your printer when you need to, and have at it yourself.

I even got pissed at tire gouging and my Dealer will not install a tire they did not sell you!

I do them myself also. Breaking the bead is the hard part, after that, spoons work just fine.

Just learned how to check valves and think I can do it again.

I tried to support my dealer, but I can not afford him for the amount of maintenance these bikes require.

I want to keep this bike for the long haul and I trust myself a lot more then someone I don't know or see very often. I will turn the wrenches, and go the extra mile to do the right thing whereas he may not.

Plus it gives you confidence in what you ride.

You will be fine and enjoy your bike a bunch more after bonding on maintenance tasks.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The only time a dealer has ever seen a vehicle of mine was when it was under warranty.

BMW dealers use BMW parts, have established labour rates, and charge flat rate.

Bob

·
Registered
282 Posts
Folks.....I had nothing but the deepest respect for my dealer when I owned a 2003 and 2005LT. I valued them as people and professionals...but the cost of maintaining the bike was absolutely rediculous..I tried to use them when possible because I wanted them there if I needed them....It really boils down to black mail.

The motor is just not that techincal. I finally purchased a 2008 Wing and have spent exactly "0"....ZERO in 24,000 miles. The bike runs better, faster, smoother and cheaper. It handles better than the LT and has no top heavy problems. I have a 6 year complete...no mileage limit warranty and all the oil changes and tune ups I want for 6 years for a one time fee of $1,200.00

You can make all the excuses you want for being able to do the work yourself. The motor should not and does not need that type of attention... other than oil changes. Most of you that checked your buckets found them within tolerances. If it did...it would not be that reliable. I put over 70,000 miles on my LT's and only had one problem....a rear seal leak.

The cost of maint...is uncalled for and the need to mess with the motor should not be that great. The dealers are heading for the same end as the American car folks if they are not careful.

I do think that BMW folks are much more technocrats and I do enjoy their company. But I will never get stuck with a product like the LT again.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
tonygret said:

Here is their breakdown:
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00
Sorry to hear about the gouging!
Let's get together for a tech session next time you have a major service to perform.
So... who was that dealer? Ventura?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am coming up on my 36k service and after call the price hit above 1,000.000USD's i stopped listening. I decided to give it a go. have maintenance manual, I guess read twice and cut once!
Most of the cost is tech time, thats alot of beers & pizza I can have my own tech time with other beemer riders..

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
"But I will never get stuck with a product like the LT again"

Your X LT only has nice things to say about you.

Bob

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't like the pricing either and as a result I do most of my own work. However, as a business owner I am somewhat sympathetic to the shops position. My business involves theatrical lighting systems. It is not a large market even in Los Angeles and the companies I represent are the BMW's of our industry, the stuff just doesn't breakdown that often. Also, do to the low volume of sales worldwide the manufacturers do not get the price discounts enjoyed by the Sonys and Panasonics of the world. As a result, the equipment is expensive for what it is. That leaves very little room for the manufacturers to give shops like mine a decent discount. We typically get somewhere between 15 and 40% off retail list. Competitive pressure limits markups to 10 to 15%. Combine low sales, high dealer costs, and reliable equipment and our only choice is to charge embarrassingly high labor rates just to keep our doors open. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
As mentioned in earlier posts in theis thread - doing the work yourself will save you BIG time. I just did this yesterday (36 K):

* Oil & Filter (synthetic)
* Transmission (synthetic)
* Final Drive (synthetic)
* Brake Fluid/Clutch Fluid flush
* Air & Fuel Filters
* Coolant

All of the above for about $210.00 (vs. over $900.00 at dealer). When you do it yourself, you know it's done right. Last time the dealer worked on it, my farkle wiring wasn't as "neatley repacked" as I like. Plus, just getting to the tranny oil drain plug will "inspire" you to write some songs about "German Engineering"! :rolleyes:

Took me about 5 hours (I am slow). First time (at 24K) took me about 8, so I am getting faster - but I was also detailing every square inch (I mean, centimeter) as I was re-assembling!

So - saved $700.00... Divided by 5 hours = Paid myself $140.00 an hour. Does that mean the recession is over?? :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I had to have the 20,000 kilometer (12K Miles) inspection I printed a copy of the inspection of the internet, and had a meeting with the service manager. We went through each one, and got it down to less than $300.00, no tires were needed. A lot of the fluid changes at this level are not required for warranty protection he said just recommended. I had rear drive done. At the 40,000 Kilometer I had the full monte done and in Canada that was about $1,400.00. Left Toronto for St. Louis and had a serious gas leak on a Sat. requiring a meconic to stay till 8 PM to get it right, the fuel filter replacement was not closed correctly, and the clutch was gone on my return. They didn't catch that during the inspection, but the rod was bend and the plate was almost none existent. Warranty covered that. The bike finished the road trip on a truck, back to the dealer that did the inspection.
I am trying to learn to do as much as I can myself, and never take the bike to the dealer with out a set down and sign off on wha is going to be done, and why. They hate to see me coming.

It is a 2005LT and has 57,000 kilometers so before this summer is over I will be looking at fluid changes. This year I will do myself.

Cliff

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, the dealers are creating a market for good independent shops and internet OEM/LKQ parts suppliers. Actually, the dealers sold the HF motorcycle lift in my garage for HF. :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts