BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a knocking? grinding? shaking? sensation on acceleration for the last week or so and it is getting worse. I thought it was the rear drive, but I did the rack test and checked the rear drive fluid for flakes. Drive fluid and magnet completely clean. I put the bike on the center stand and ran the bike in second gear and could hear a knock at the drive shaft housing just in front of the rear drive unit. I could actually feel the knock at that point but nothing at the rear drive or further up the shaft housing.

Is there a way to check the drive shaft without complete removal of the rear drive to know for sure what the problem is? I downloaded the instructions for removal of the rear drive after I did the search, but I don't want to do his unless I know for sure what the problem really is. If it is the drive shaft, I would like to have a replacement on hand before I start any work to fix it.

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
It sounds like a u-joint in the drive shaft. Which will mean replacing the entire drive shaft. The rear drive is relatively easy to remove.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have reviewed the instructions for the clutch slave drilling and it covers the removal of the drive shaft - to a point. My question is: must the entire swing arm assembly be removed to replace the drive shaft?

Is there a way to inspect the drive shaft prior to removal to make sure that the drive shaft universal joint is the problem?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
When you remove the rear drive you get the rear U-joint with it. It is awful hard to pop the rest of the shaft loose from the tranny without pulling the swing arm loose. I pry the end free though the swing arm mount hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts