BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I did introduce myself as always in the forums....
Been riding bikes since I was 13, now 52, currently a 2013 Kawasaki Concours 1400 but been lurking in here (BMW) for a while...
With the advise that I have been reading from you talented guys, with that in mind, went to look at a 97 RT1100 locally, 1st impression was he painted the whole plastics through a Mcdonalds straw at 50lbs!!! 47K and had no clue about greasing the shaft thingy, had no service history and tapping valves, ($2200) I decided that not for me...
Been searching, and searching,,,,, found one, heading to Illinois Friday to buy .....
05 K1200LT, 9K, immaculate , (dealer sent me loads of pics) GPS, the usual...

With that said, its an 05, do I need to be concerned with fuel lines, brake lines, or anything else of concern?

I own my own motorcycle repair business, so I'm very knowledgeable with Jap stuff, this will be my 1st BMW,

Looking fwd to many miles and reading on here..
Phil.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Welcome, and oh yes, you are aware. do some readings on here about new bike purchases (new to you). Your 05 is old and needs some tlc. Don't pay too much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, and oh yes, you are aware. do some readings on here about new bike purchases (new to you). Your 05 is old and needs some tlc. Don't pay too much.
$4500

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purchased today

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Purchased today
Merry Christmas! Looks great. You don't mention mileage. OEM brake lines go around 60k (at least on the gen 1, pre-2005 models, it seems). SS braided replacements are a good idea. With luck and care, you may not have anything serious to work on for a while. Be mindful of the top case latch, which is made of pot metal and not strong enough to withstand the force of heavy pressure latching the lid. Get used to pressing down on lid w/ one hand before pushing on the latch. The one time you forget & your jacket sleeve is caught in the edge of the lid, you'll brake the corners of the latch. Lots of complex electronic goodies to get used to on the reverse, the center stand, the ABS brake testing. All well described on the forums here. Once you get used to the beast, I imagine you will love it like so many here. It's a thing of beauty. Hope you have some good riding weather.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9006 miles, 2005, Doctor owned, bought from the same dealer that sold it to me.
Unbelievable price, well worth the 750 miles trip up here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx dj

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
9006 miles, 2005, Doctor owned, bought from the same dealer that sold it to me.
Unbelievable price, well worth the 750 miles trip up here.
The only worrisome part is only 9,000 miles in 14 years. Sounds like it has sat for long periods of time. Hopefully, the fuel system isn’t gummed up or the fuel pump corroded from E10. Since you have experience with Jap bikes, you will have no problem with the LT. It is just a machine, but does have some quirks that you will learn about as you explore here.

I would consider stripping most all of the fairings off and going over everything and, if they haven’t been done recently, I would replace all rubber parts (coolant hoses, fuel injection hoses, especially those inside the tank, brake lines, crankcase ventilation hose and manifold, etc.). Obviously, change all fluids, but the ABS brake fluid and clutch fluid in particular. Then check to see if the quick disconnects on the gas tank have been replaced with all metal parts and be careful with the trunk latch as was already mentioned. I was lucky to get one of Evan’s last FIBIB kits and am glad to have that. Mine never gave trouble during the first 9 years, but I smoothed the latches, kept them greased and was always cautious when latching.

I would also check for any oil under the bell housing or on the EHCS. That indicates potential clutch issues. You can also do a few 5th gear full throttle roll-ons to check for clutch slippage.

Then go out and enjoy it!

Reactions: feelergaugephil

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't test ride bike up in Illinois, too cold.. 31* temp, back home 65*, only fault after 20 mins, front end shakes, investigation found bent front rim..
Dealer closed today.... I went ahead and bought another used rim...
So far, everything else is good..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yall referring to these?

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Yall referring to these?
Yep. If they are plastic, they should be replaced with metal. I believe BBY sells metal versions of the same design. I personally like the Jiffy-Tite style, but I am not sure they are readily available.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx V.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding when you told me about all the parts... geeeez. Ain't like a jap bike... I also raised the handlebars 2 inches higher... that was a challenge....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Holy crap, you guys weren't kidding when you told me about all the parts... geeeez. Ain't like a jap bike... I also raised the handlebars 2 inches higher... that was a challenge....
Now you just need to replace that old Garmin with a Nav V or Nav VI. I know the 5 is plug and play if you have a VOICE II intercom, but I am not sure about the 6 nor about other than then VOICE II. Moving from 3 to 5 two years ago was one of the best recent upgrades I have done.

Reactions: feelergaugephil

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I also raised the handlebars 2 inches higher... that was a challenge....
I too found the stock position a little too low for my tastes and moved them.
Be careful how far you raise them as the covers won't fit properly if you go too much.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
9100 miles on this filter

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spark plugs look like new, but still changing them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 123 Posts