BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a hard, but not as snow covered winter which I was able to ride alot more than last year I decided I had better do some maintenance I had been putting off. I adjusted my valves and changed my fuel filter.

Adjusting the valves is very easy although the instructions in the BMW service manual are less than clear. The local dealer (Engle Motors) provided me the information I needed to do the job much more easily than the service manual instructions. My motor runs more smoothly, and my cruise control keeps the bikes speed more even on hills. All of my valves were a bit tight, the exhaust more so than the intake.

The fuel filter is very easy. First I disconnect the fuel quick connects and then I take a spare one I have with a short length of hose on it and plug it in to the return line on the tank to drain it as much as possible. I have a large pair of Channel lock pliers to remove the ring and then I removed the old filter and installed the new one. Wow, that oldone was really plugged and I'm sure it was very bad for my fuel pump.

Well after that I changed all my fluids and dressed the bike back up. I rode 700 hundred miles this weekend, mostly in the rain and had a great time. Now all I have to do is flush my brakes and clutch slave to be ready to ride all summer long.

Good luck and great riding to all. Remember to always gear up and watch out for those crazy cage drivers.

p.s. Discussed having a LT tech day at my house in KC soon. Let me know if anyone is interested. I have a three bay garage, tools, air and one lift.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The directions and pictures on the "gunsmoke" web site are excellent for adjusting LT valves. With one correction: contrary to gunsmoke's directions, do NOT remove the spark plugs before adjusting valves. The directions are for an RS, but the LT''s valves are the same.
- Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts