BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been thinking that I should try out a Harley Davidson. This was mostly due to a good friend who's always telling me how nice they ride. I know he does some very long days in the saddle, 800 miles, sometimes when he goes back and forth between his two homes (AZ and WA).

I'm not real happy with my '09 LT's "touch soft" seat and I thought maybe the HD was the way to go.

This afternoon my friend let me take his Electra Glide Classic ('also an '09, with the new and improved rake and trail and frame) for a ride.

I don't want to bad mouth anybody's motorcycle but it's definitely not for me. That's a small loose feeling bike compared to my LT and I'm going to get a custom seat and stay with the BMW.

What a shock to feel the difference. I see so many people on HDs I assumed it was a pretty sweet ride. Guess I'm spoiled but I've learned my lesson. I still haven't ridden a Goldwing so I might try one just for the heck of it.....but I'm tending toward riding my LT into the ground. Just have to finish getting her decked out to my personal amenities.

Have you guys/gals ridden and compared the two?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Jim;
I've ridden HD.....and most of the others.......my idea is that I will nurse this ol' LT of mine until the pigs fly...........That HD's suspension is 70 years old, to start with........the LT is a lot more economical and I can even deal with the seating...........$ 00.02......... :cool:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Palerider said:
Jim;
I've ridden HD.....and most of the others.......my idea is that I will nurse this ol' LT of mine until the pigs fly...........That HD's suspension is 70 years old, to start with........the LT is a lot more economical and I can even deal with the seating...........$ 00.02......... :cool:
+1 I also just rode a HD. Always wanted to , and finally got the chance...put on 300 miles thru the TX Hill country...ran out of gass...had to mess with the pet-cock to get down the road...had a good time, enjoyed it...but like you...the LT stays till pigs fly...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I had a soft touch seat and could not wait to get rid of it. Sent it to Daylong and had them build me a seat - huge difference. I happen to have Russell, but there are lots of seats out there that will make you and your butt very happy.

I also have a Harley. 70 year old suspension? That's being generous! I've spent a bunch of money to upgrade mine, and it still rides like a wheel barrow with solid tires. But I like it too. Guess that's just me.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Most people ride Harley's for the same reason that they put HD tattoos on their body. I've had a few HD and I still love the way that a stock one sounds. Most of my friends ride them, but not very far.

If you are serious about riding, there is no comparison between a BMW K1200LT and any Harley. I'm hoping that I feel the same about my new K1600GTL.

·
Registered
679 Posts
FYI, Iron Horse, I had a GL1800 It is a smooth and powerful bike, but kind of boring....The LT has more fun things, and the electric windshield is the best! Plus it is a very fun ride that keeps you coming back for more...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ride a 09 Electra Glide all day at work, just got a 09 LT. I would rather go on vacation with the LT...but the Electra Glide will work through traffic with ease.....However, I did own a RT and test rode an RT-P and I gotta say the RT-P is a no nonsence police bike.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Rode a brand new HD last summer. Friend from work rented it for the weekend anticipating buying one. 30 miles on my LT and he bought an LT instead. To each their own but my idea of a good motorcycle includes being able to use the mirrors at stoplights.

As a drunk woman once opined to me, "It aint't a fuggin Harley!!!!!"

"You are correct" was my reply.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Rode a brand new HD last summer. Friend from work rented it for the weekend anticipating buying one. 30 miles on my LT and he bought an LT instead. To each their own but my idea of a good motorcycle includes being able to use the mirrors at stoplights.

As a drunk woman once opined to me, "It aint't a fuggin Harley!!!!!"

"You are correct" was my reply.
THAT is funny. :wave

Reminds me of the that old Churchill story, when confronted by a shrew at a party:

"Sir Winston! (to an obviously inebriated Prime Minister) - why, you're DRUNK! " :eek:

Sir Winston: "That may be true Madam, but at least in the morning I still won't be UGLY." :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
:corn:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree. I also got rid of the soft touch seat on my 08LT. Pre 05 BMW comfort seat is the best for me. Sure, you should keep your LT :)

Iron_Horse said:
Lately I've been thinking that I should try out a Harley Davidson. This was mostly due to a good friend who's always telling me how nice they ride. I know he does some very long days in the saddle, 800 miles, sometimes when he goes back and forth between his two homes (AZ and WA).

I'm not real happy with my '09 LT's "touch soft" seat and I thought maybe the HD was the way to go.

This afternoon my friend let me take his Electra Glide Classic ('also an '09, with the new and improved rake and trail and frame) for a ride.

I don't want to bad mouth anybody's motorcycle but it's definitely not for me. That's a small loose feeling bike compared to my LT and I'm going to get a custom seat and stay with the BMW.

What a shock to feel the difference. I see so many people on HDs I assumed it was a pretty sweet ride. Guess I'm spoiled but I've learned my lesson. I still haven't ridden a Goldwing so I might try one just for the heck of it.....but I'm tending toward riding my LT into the ground. Just have to finish getting her decked out to my personal amenities.

Have you guys/gals ridden and compared the two?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dan, you have posted several times that you are getting a K1600. Can I have the skins off your old one? I do love that green!

As for the sound I like the sound of a stock HD WITH THE BAFFLES STILL IN THE PIPES!

Loren

DanDiver said:
Most people ride Harley's for the same reason that they put HD tattoos on their body. I've had a few HD and I still love the way that a stock one sounds. Most of my friends ride them, but not very far.

If you are serious about riding, there is no comparison between a BMW K1200LT and any Harley. I'm hoping that I feel the same about my new K1600GTL.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Dan, you have posted several times that you are getting a K1600. Can I have the skins off your old one? I do love that green!

As for the sound I like the sound of a stock HD WITH THE BAFFLES STILL IN THE PIPES!

Loren
Hi Loren,

It really do like the color too and like having one that is stock, but a little different. Maybe I can sell an 02 without the skin!

If I sell it by the piece - The skins are yours....

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Thanks Dan! Put it on ebay as a BMW LT Monster. For the discerning gentleman with a touch of the wild life!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Harley Davidson makes motorcycles !?!
Yes Charlie, it's a wholly-owned subsidiary of their apparel company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've ridden both, a Harley street glide and my RT and LT. I found the Harley a lot of work to ride, especially over 65 miles an hour. Lots of shifting to keep the HD in its power/torque band, suspension jittery and hard to hold a line in a curve at speed, and despite a Corbin saddle, not all that comfortable. Coming off the HD and back onto my LT was a shock. Power difference was amazing, quiet and comfortable ride, and handling that made the HD look incredibly awkward.
My '08 LT has Ohlins and is an amazing ride. Although it took a Rich's Custom Saddle to make it an all day ride.
Just MHO's

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
hallzee said:
Yes Charlie, it's a wholly-owned subsidiary of their apparel company.

I love it! The best one yet......

Can't wait to see my friends next weekend in Daytona. Got to find me a T-Shirt from the HD Apparel Co.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Iron_Horse said:

I don't want to bad mouth anybody's motorcycle but it's definitely not for me. That's a small loose feeling bike compared to my LT and I'm going to get a custom seat and stay with the BMW. . . .

Last year I was looking for a new touring bike to replace my K1200LT I had sold a couple of years before. I thought the same way you did and rented all but brand new Harley Ultra Classic (with only 3,000 miles) and took my wife for three day bed and breakfast ride. Long story short, wife liked the comfort but I could not wait to get off the ElectraGlide for the same reasons you stated (and the fact that the engine put out a ton of heat in June!). When I got back, I promptly started searching for a good used R1200RT, found one and bought it, added a bunch of farkles including Russell seats, and now both wife and I love the RT. :bmw:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts