BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last three-four times I've riden my 2005 LT it feels like the clutch is slipping in 4th/5th gear. Bacially I give it gas , the engine revs go up and the bike doesn't jump forward as in 1-2-3. I've read the post about the clutches and I guess I'm hoping someone will tell the newbie "oh don't worry, just turn the X screw and it will be fine". I'm a reasonabe mechanic as I have built my own Vtwin chopper but tearing apart a BMW doesn't really allow me much room to customize if you know what I mean. So can someone give me a little advice here as I'm in Florida and my wife and I ride constantly. The bike has 22,000 miles and runs like a dream.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Well it sounds like the early signs of a "WET Clutch" which means a full tear down to replace the clutch with a "DRY' one plus a new slave cylinder. If you take it to the Dealer be prepared to drop $2500.00 or more.
Sorry for the bad news.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If it helps to lessen to lessen the pain, I had that job done (including new slave cylinder) by a BMW dealer for $1100 2 1/2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You have a contaminated clutch. It is probably the slave cylinder, or could be the Rear Main Seal on the engine. Any signs of oil leakage?

If no signs of oil, then probably the clutch slave.

My rear main seal went; did everything myself, and since I had the bike apart went ahead and replaced the slave cylinder too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I believe the above gentlemen are telling you the truth.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Happened to me too. Slipping clutch. Nothing to worry about its just money... right? Well it was an ouch for me 1 year ago February. Had slave and clutch and engine seals overhauled $1600. That included a couple other things too.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I suppose if you are going to shoot a messenger...........I'll volunteer.................

it does not look like any thing less than a tear down..............just don't shoot me in the 'privates'...........please................. :( .

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Make a list of what you want done, put it in writing, and have the dealer put his estimate in writing. You may get to save a little money. Many times there's some wiggle room between what the dealer wants to charge and what they are willing to accept. In any case a written estimate may help to keep them honest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after looking over the Clymers I think I can do this myself. Can anyone give me a good parts supplier? Also anyone out there who has done this job have a list of parts/special tools. Thank all of you for replying makes me feel like I can get help if I need it. I'll make sure I take a lot of photos/video because after reading all the posts I'll probably be doing it again before I stop riding this bike.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The good news: everyone else is wrong. You CAN just turn the X screw, and everything will be fine.
The bad news: your year bike doesn't have an X screw. Mine didn't either.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Tywrapdave said:
So after looking over the Clymers I think I can do this myself. Can anyone give me a good parts supplier? Also anyone out there who has done this job have a list of parts/special tools. Thank all of you for replying makes me feel like I can get help if I need it. I'll make sure I take a lot of photos/video because after reading all the posts I'll probably be doing it again before I stop riding this bike.
BENTONVILLE BMW for parts

CLICK HERE for a step by step guide to fixing your bike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tywrapdave said:
What part of Florida are you from ?

I may be able to lend a hand if you are not to far away.

·
Registered
929 Posts
After you are finished and she is running--you are going to truly feel like you can do any service required on your ride... So...hurry up and get her done... You can do it! Well...er...that's about all I got. :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So thank everyone of you. I belong to other forums for car restorations and chopper builders. None of them respond with info as fast as you guys. I called BMW of Orlando here in Florida and they quoted 1600.00-1800.00. Because my work load at the ol' construction site is starting to increase I decided to take the bike to them. I'll let you know how it turns out. I also took the advice and ask about having the 24,000 mile service completed also. As we love these bikes I'm sure I'll be performing this work at some time and I have to say I have never seen a more complete guide than katnapinn's. Holy smokes I built an entire chopper with less instructions. Anyway thank all of you again and I'll be asking all of my questions here.

dave

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Dang, me too!!!

Well I guess I am in this predicament too. Had the plastic off to service the bike and happened to look at the area between the engine and tranny. There is a fairly large amount of oil deposited, with areas wet to the touch. Clutch is still ok. Used bike to me and I transferred over the extended warranty. Hopefully its covered.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: Dang, me too!!!

The extended warranties do not cover wear items like clutch parts, but most of them do cover seals and such (make sure yours does). The labor to get to the seal is covered, and then you just pay for the clutch plate and any related parts ($200-ish). I'd suggest getting the oil-proof clutch, see the thread on that in this forum.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Thanks, dropped it off today, I'll ask about the clutch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts