BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously thinking of buying a1200 lt. Just read about the breakaway mirrors thing. That is OK as long as I know about it. What else do I need to know? Is there a particular thread here that has that info?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The breakaway mirrors are fine and they normally don't just fall off but if you hit a big bump and the clips are a little lose, they can or of you bump against them.

Just make sure you have them tethered so they don't hit the ground and you will be fine. Mine are looped through loosely with some plastic tie wraps that allow them to come lose to remove tupperewar but not fall.

Mine are also outfitted with the Muth mirrors with the turn signal embedded so i also have wires running to mine that help but only a little :)

There are many threads on this site but watching the videos by the BMW Motorrad club of Illinois that will be helpfull in learning about this particular bike.

http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/service/instructional-videos/15-k-bikes

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Also the clips actually work better if greased lightly. This allows the bails to slide over the ball studs farther creating more "grip". I have had mine tethered for 11 years and I have never had one come loose yet, maybe one two clips popped but never all three.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Also the clips actually work better if greased lightly. This allows the bails to slide over the ball studs farther creating more "grip". I have had mine tethered for 11 years and I have never had one come loose yet, maybe one two clips popped but never all three.
I haven't had one come off either but in the referenced magnet link, he was talking about them coming off while on the dirt. Probably a little rougher than most folks would like to be taking an LT :grin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have owned Triumphs, Honda Gold Wing, Several Harley Ultra Classics, BMW R1150 and the K1200LT is by far the cream of the crop. If you like the K1200LT buy one and ride it like you stole it. If you have any problem just post it one this site and help will follow. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have my mirrors tethered using SS fishing leader.

Just a other approach to secure the mirrors.

I don't trust plastic.

Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Registered
576 Posts
My LightTruck is as dependable as the sunrise. The maintenance is either expensive, or a little annoying. (Annoying if you do it yourself, but you rapidly become good at it, if you're in any way mechanical.)

If I had a complaint, it's that they didn't rein in the Engineers when they should have. It's the messiest oil change I've ever seen, and there are a few...oddities like the pins that restrain the shifter ball joints...but to their credit, all attachment points are designed for a lifetime of service, and a well maintained LT will run forever.

They're sure getting cheap, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seriously thinking of buying a1200 lt. Just read about the breakaway mirrors thing. That is OK as long as I know about it. What else do I need to know? Is there a particular thread here that has that info?
I think we are missing the spirit of the question. I don’t think lsnutter is looking for mirror information or a comparison with other bikes. I think lsnutter is looking for a summarized list of common issues. I too have searched the forum for this information with no luck. I myself have had to replace the clutch and split line in the fuel pump. I also thought I read thru this forum and thought I found all the common issues, but sure enough my LT sits with a broken shift linkage. I did not see anything until I looked for it specifically, then I found all sorts of fixes. Now the broken linkage is one of the newest posts, so I guess they do cycle. Another example: a friend told me about the trunk latch and said “fix it before it breaks” (I think this is something else lost in tribal knowledge that a newcomer would not know to search). If you ( lsnutter ) are looking for something else, and my agenda got in the way I apologize.
Final drive
Clutch fouled by leaking slave cylinder / oring or main seal
Mirrors pop off
Shift Linkages loosen and balls break

tl;dr we need a list of common LT issues or thinks to know. If there is a good one it should be sticky in my opinion.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Be aware of and ask for the maintenance records and be sure regular maintenance was performed per the manual. If there have been several previous owners in recent years most likely means the bike has issues. Especially make sure the brake fluid changing/flush was done regularly and new brake lines should have been installed by now. Is Clutch slipping, (engine, tranny, slave cylinder leaks) a big issue.
History of the final drive, is it original or rebuilt when and by who? Is the bike in fairly stock condition and not cobbled up by previous owners. Ask for all the manuals if they have them, important as the LT has a lots of stuff to learn about. The LT bikes are fantastic if maintenance was keep up but if not you can be getting into quite a few frustrating and expensive number of maintenance items and/or repairs. If your not good with a wrench then it can be very very expensive and you will soon realize the great deal you got on the bike will cost you an arm and a leg.

Not trying to scare you away, but the reality of buying a neglected bike can hurt so do your due diligence.

If something does not look or sound right walk away there are lots of decent LT's for sale.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Stock slastic fuel line QDs;
Foot pegs ground down from too much fun in twisties;
Smile and smiles for miles and miles;
It's a machine designed by humans, it is like most, some will break. Fix it and move on down the road to your next adventure.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
tl;dr we need a list of common LT issues or thinks to know. If there is a good one it should be sticky in my opinion.
Guess we should put a sticky that points to "Tools", Technical", "Hall of Wisdom". That is where you will find all the answers and it is even indexed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Guess we should put a sticky that points to "Tools", Technical", "Hall of Wisdom". That is where you will find all the answers and it is even indexed.
"halls of wisdom"... oh yeah forgot that was the name and convinced myself I was thinking of the index on the vstrom forum. well there goes the next "free" 3-4 hours of my life.

don't know who indexed it, but great job by the way.

·
Registered
187 Posts
+1 on Kirk's videos. And don't forget about the bad headlight ground. I just fixed mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. That video from Kirk is a little scary. Makes me think third or fourth time before I buy. I don't mind a little maintenance but constant repairs is different. I farm a little with 30 year old tractors and I have enough repairs already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Never would of bought mine if it was a constant repair situation. Constant repair reminds of my 60-70s Triumphs :)

It's been awhile since I watched the video but it's probably more like 'what to look out for'; not that these issues happen with every single LT.

Example: My LT has 60K, still has original final drive and clutch slave with no issues. I do plan on changing out the slave this winter though as part of maintenance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Eight years and 25,000 added miles on a used bike I've done routine maintenance. one tune up, the usual fluids, two sets of tires, brake pads. Changed brake lines, HID kit and repair ground wire, one battery and a few light bulbs.
Every year the smile gets bigger and the desire to ride more increases. Will never get rid of this bike but I will add another ride.
Best bang for your buck.
Find one that's had the clutch and final drive changed.
Age 60 and not a mechanic but can get it done with this forums help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Eight years and 25,000 added miles on a used bike I've done routine maintenance. one tune up, the usual fluids, two sets of tires, brake pads. Changed brake lines, HID kit and repair ground wire, one battery and a few light bulbs.
Every year the smile gets bigger and the desire to ride more increases. Will never get rid of this bike but I will add another ride.
Best bang for your buck.
Find one that's had the clutch and final drive changed.
Age 60 and not a mechanic but can get it done with this forums help.
I concur with all said except waiting to find one with the final drive and clutch replaced. There is way to know the skill level of the person who made those repairs. I say, if you find a nice bike, buy it, since you can't predict for sure that you will ever have a failure in these parts...

With this forum's help, a couple of manuals, and youtube, you can repair anything you have the time and tools for.

I had a final drive main bearing and rear seal fail on my R1100RT (Same type final drive as the K1200LT), and I repaired it myself with just less than $200 in parts, and some new tools I will likely use again. In the mean time, the tools are paid for, and the education about my bike that I received in performing this repair I couldn't put a price on. I am confident I could repair any part of this bike now.

The only thing dealerships are good for is new bikes, original parts, and warranty work. After that, they will never see my money.

BTW, I am 68... so I have a few years on you... :wave

Reactions: eremite06 and cws

·
Registered
676 Posts
They're sure getting cheap, too.
I always tell people that my LT is the poor mans Goldwing!! The reality being it is a much more sophisticated machine than the GW, having owned a GL1800, I love the ride and features of the LT way better!!
I guess it is a little odd that they do sell for so little in comparison...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts