BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2000 lt and it is in pretty good shape, low miles but I think under serviced.
Are these the original fuel connectors?
I'm thinking they are but just want a second opinion.
If they are original I know what I need to do

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Those are the original ones-if you've got it opened up, change them now. I didn't soon enough, and was stranded in a perfect riding day in CO. Sounds like you know what to do. My 2000 has 165K miles. Enjoy

Reactions: ProfSnape

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Those are just original plastic unions and are fine. It is the plastic quick disconnects that would break. If you want to go the QD route, beamer boneyard sells them and yes, they are not cheap anywhere.

New CPC Chrome Plated Brass Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Set - Oilheads & K-Bikes

If you want to spend a few more dollars, go with the jiffy tite which is a better design with no o-rings to replace. Pulled this ink form another thread on this site as one place to get them.

Quick Fuel Line Disconnects- All Metal Fittings for Motorcycles

This may be where you are heading as you said you knew what you had to do.

You can also order the Jiffy Tites on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Tite-B...&sr=8-1&keywords=jiffy+tite+quick+disconnects

Reactions: Munmi and ProfSnape

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the knowledge. If they won't break I'm leaving them.

There's going to be plenty of other things on this bike that I will have to be throwing 100 bills at.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge. If they won't break I'm leaving them.

There's going to be plenty of other things on this bike that I will have to be throwing 100 bills at.
You could replace them with 5/16" brass hose barbs, it's not like tank removal is a weekly occurrence and brass is much stronger than plastic.

Robert

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Found a pic of the plastic ones and how they brake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Those are just original plastic unions and are fine. It is the plastic quick disconnects that would break. If you want to go the QD route, beamer boneyard sells them and yes, they are not cheap anywhere.

New CPC Chrome Plated Brass Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Set - Oilheads & K-Bikes

If you want to spend a few more dollars, go with the jiffy tite which is a better design with no o-rings to replace. Pulled this ink form another thread on this site as one place to get them.

Quick Fuel Line Disconnects- All Metal Fittings for Motorcycles

This may be where you are heading as you said you knew what you had to do.

You can also order the Jiffy Tites on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Tite-B...&sr=8-1&keywords=jiffy+tite+quick+disconnects
The plastic parts may last, but I would replace with brass or stainless connectors if you don't want QDs. I have had my tank off more than once a year since buying my LT new (probably 12-14 times in 10 years). I replaced the OEM QDs with a Jiffy Tites during my first year of ownership and it was about the best $70 I've invested in the LT. A fire fed by a fuel injection pressure level leak would be a very bad day.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The plastic parts may last, but I would replace with brass or stainless connectors if you don't want QDs. I have had my tank off more than once a year since buying my LT new (probably 12-14 times in 10 years). I replaced the OEM QDs with a Jiffy Tites during my first year of ownership and it was about the best $70 I've invested in the LT. A fire fed by a fuel injection pressure level leak would be a very bad day.
I actually just ordered a set of jiffy tites and 10 feet of polyurethane steel braided fuel line to replace my original lines. I figure the inside of those lines is not up to spec for the Ethanol fuel so why not replace it with something that is. Inside tank is already nylon upgraded EME fuel line kit.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would at least get a couple of brass connectors to have around if you spring a leak. The o-rings failed on mine and I just went with brass connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts