BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a very bad experience with the k1600 forum. Going to try to be very clear, not trying to come off any type of way I honestly just want help. No judgements, no heckling, no 100 different people's reasons why not to do what.
So the frame was checked before buying, everything is OK there. The mechanicals of everything besides a leaking brake line is fine. It's all purely cosmetics. My hope is to restore off of buying or taking unwanted extra parts people have. I have PayPal so I can buy things if people can do shipping.
The 2013 k1600 GTL was bought from someone who didn't have insurance when they wrecked. I bought it for $1800.00.
I'm literally stressing because of how the last forum was, please no heckling, just positive reinforcement and if not please don't reply. Not trying to be offensive.
Pictures of plugs because I'm not sure what they go to. If anyone even has a damaged headlight cheap I'd buy it. More pictures in the reply as the max is 10

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
I don't know what you are expecting here as that thing is so pretty rough by a conservative estimate. Most of the things that plug into the large connectors are body control computers and they are not cheap. At this point the only way I can see you being successful is to find a donor bike with a blown engine. Sorry but that is just my assessment of the situation.

Reactions: Back2Life and meese

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
I've put well over 100K miles on two GTLs, I've rebuilt several modern BMWs from salvage to 100% functional, and I've torn Beemers down to the frames and rebuilt motors to get them into proper riding shape.

There's no way I'd try to rebuild that particular GTL.

The front end damage is way too severe, and the amount of parts you need to replace is enormous and cost prohibitive.

With my experience I could do all that work myself, if I had the time or inclination. But I'd still estimate spending 5-6,000 or more on parts alone. And that's if you get lucky and find all the parts you need. These big bikes are fairly rare, with front end damage the most common type so those parts are even harder to find.

The last modern BMW I rebuilt took almost a year just to gather the necessary parts, and I still had to buy several parts from the BMW dealer because they simply weren't available anywhere else.

To be perfectly polite but honest, It's clear that you're completely underestimating the time and money and headaches it will take to get this bike up to being road worthy again. Which is why your best option is to just strip it down and part it out, or try to sell it as-is to someone else who might also believe this project is worth the time or expense. Then maybe take that money and buy a nice K1200LT for $2,500-$3,000 or so and just ride on.

Seriously, don't fall into the sunk-cost fallacy, and don't underestimate the size of the project you've taken on here.

Now if you really want to try, then spend some time looking through the Max BMW Parts Fiche to get an idea of how the various assemblies all go together and what the parts cost new. Then look at Beemer Boneyard, Rubber Side Up, Pinwall Cycle Parts, and eBay to see what used K16 parts are going for (if you can find them).

Even then you're still gonna need to do a ton of research to figure out your parts list with proper BMW part numbers so you can search for the things you need.

And after months or years of work, you're gonna end up putting $8,000 or more into a bike that's maybe worth $10K on a good day, with a clean title and all relevant service records intact from Day 1.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand how this project is any less than other rebuilds. The damage is purely cosmetic but I'm definitely not giving up on it. Honestly my biggest obstacle is the headlight. I don't mind even a damaged one as this one came with none. I do need to figure out getting switches, windshield parts and whatever that big white plug plugs into seems concerning lol

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
The problem isn't that this project is less than other rebuilds—it's that it needs so much more.

Some of that could be attributed to so many close-up pics that it's hard to assess the overall shape of the bike. Based on the additional pics you posted on the other forum, the entire front fairing/headlight/windshield assembly is missing. Plus the handlebars and clutch/brake controls need to be replaced, along with all the bodywork forward of the seat, plus so much other stuff that we can't easily see.

As mentioned above, there weren't that many K16's produced so used parts are hard to find. Most bikes tend to have front-end damage, making the parts you need even more rare. And they're expensive bikes, so even used parts tend to go for half of retail or more.

Assuming that you can ride the bike as is so the drivetrain is good, and assuming the frame/forks/wheels are straight, and assuming that all the metal and plastic mounting tabs are still in place and intact, you're still looking at some of the most expensive parts on the bike that are just completely missing, and not at all cheap or easy to replace.

I threw a 2012 GTL down a Virginia interstate in the rain one night, scraping one entire side through the body panels and down to the metal bits, even with heavy crash bars installed. The bike looked like hëll, but rode just fine so I rode the bike 3,000 miles home to Oregon. Got an $8,000 estimate to fix a perfectly running bike that was just "cosmetic" damage.

I considered keeping it and rebuilding it for about half of the estimate if I did all the work myself, including paint. Then I realized that after a year of chasing parts and working nights and weekends, I'd still end up with a salvage-titled bike that would be worth half of what similar GTLs were worth. So I let them haul it away and found a nearly-new 2013 GTL that was just about the same cost as the insurance check. In the end, the time, money, and hassle simply wasn't worth it.

That isn't to say that you can't rebuild the bike. But you're seriously underestimating how much work and cost this rebuild will be. Plus you're overestimating the value of the rebuilt bike. Your spread between $1,800 + some parts = a $13,000 bike simply isn't accurate.

Anything is possible with enough time, money, and experience. But you lack the experience, seem to be short on money, and are pressed for time if you expect to turn this project around quickly too supplement your missing income.

This just isn't going to be a quick money maker, unless you part the bike out and someone gives you enough for the motor to recoup your initial investment. And then you'd still be sitting on a chicken coop full of random parts that need to be cataloged, photographed, advertised, packaged, and sold, which won't be quick or easy.

If the bike runs well as is, then you could build a custom naked K1600 which would be kinda cool. That would relieve you of the difficulty in trying to source the correct BMW parts. But that would take some fabrications skills and a decently fitted-out shop or garage which you don't seem to have easy access to. And then you'd still have trouble selling it afterwards as a one-off custom.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this simply isn't going to be the quick cash turnaround that you think it is.

But good luck with your project, whatever you decide to do. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it smells bad; don't eat it.
And the OP comments stink.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
No need to be rude.

Either offer assistance, agree with the assistance already offered, or just pass on by without comment, please. :)

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I think you have everything you need at this point. Ken gave you the best places to check for parts. John gave you the likely best approach. We just don't want you to be naive. By the time you're done, you will likely have more invested than the bike is worth. If that is worth it to you for the experience value of the project, then go for it. If not, reconsider. I would look for the blown engine bike, move the necessary drive train parts to it, and part out what's left over. Let us know what you decide and keep us posted on your progress. 🔧
Another thought, make as complete a list of damaged or missing parts as you can before you go the the fiche online. As you go through the fiche, refine/add to your list. Work to price what you need as best you can, and then make your go/no go decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone besides the one negative person. So I just read everything at once and I'm gonna respond off memory. So the handle bars forks frame everything is good. It's all cosmetic and the stuff that's just missing. The clutch or brake handle is rigged but it does run and ride. Body control stuff was mentioned as missing, I feel stupid but this does what? As for wanting to Spin a profit, to be honest, I just want something I can't afford. This bike complete with 5k miles I couldn't afford it if I wanted to. 4 kids their father helps with nothing for them, I may have been stupid for buying this fixer upper, but I know when it's eventually done I'll be happy because I scratched tooth and nail to get something that I should have been able to. So the goal is to fix and keep for sure.
As for making a custom bike out of it, I don't know. I always had GSX-Rs and they didn't have any of these options but they wear on your back and I want to do some interstate if I can. I look at this bike as freedom, mind escape, me time. If your a basically a single parent than you get where I'm coming from. 3 kids by a deadbeat and one by someone who helps and tries to support me. Youngest Son turned a year a week ago, 2 year old daughter, 3 year old son 6 year old daughter. Back to back and hard work but I keep pushing, this would just be a ME thing ya know?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
More power to ya' you have my respect for taking this on given your situation. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I agree with John, if you have the time, patience, and little extra cash, GO FOR IT.
Just think, if you get her right, what a great achievement. nothing better than fixing something, stand back and go wow I did that.
Good for you.
Now just have to pick a place to start. LOL

Zeke

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would wait it out and look for a bike with damage to back end...as rare as they may be, and then, frankenstein them together. A guy here buys bmw bikes with some damage (usually cosmetic) and waits and waits to buy parts as they slowly show up to rebuild bikes. It works for him but takes time. For the wires and connectors, it is taking the time to look at the options on the bike and look at the microfiche and put pieces together. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts