BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 37,555 miles, the final drive has failed. I have already registered it on the link provided on this blog, but now need to get about the business of repair. I just spoke with a gentleman who is selling a used FD for $ 400.00 that had about 105k on it before a trike conversion, but I think I am going to do the work myself. So.... I but was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best place to buy the OEM parts. Thanks in advance for any input you may have. :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Send a PM to Curtis in Vermont (aka "CharlieVT") to see if he has one ready to go. Or go ahead and make a deal with him to do the rebuild on your FD if he does not have one on the shelf. You will be way better off than having any dealer do the rebuild, and you will not be putting on an unknown condition FD. The price is about the same as what you found already.

From a satisfied customer!

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I will.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I though I remember seeing Curtis is nolonger doing rebuilds and IIRC he recommends Dave Selvig AKA Saddleman. Sorry if I got this wrong.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
I though I remember seeing Curtis is nolonger doing rebuilds and IIRC he recommends Dave Selvig AKA Saddleman. Sorry if I got this wrong.
I think you're right, John. That's what I recall also. Makes me sorta concerned about Curtis - hopefully, I don't need to be. :confused:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Well I sure hope everything is OK with Curtis. Perhaps he just got tired of the production aspect? Meanwhile, those other two folks also come highly reccomended! The key is that the folks here are probably more into doing a great job for a fellow member and not just doing another shop job.

John
Dick said:
I think you're right, John. That's what I recall also. Makes me sorta concerned about Curtis - hopefully, I don't need to be. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
I thought he just wasn't doing them "for free" any longer and was charging a flat fee or such. Then again, I may be a post or two behind the times... That has happened once or twice before.

Matt

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Well I sure hope everything is OK with Curtis. Perhaps he just got tired of the production aspect? Meanwhile, those other two folks also come highly reccomended! The key is that the folks here are probably more into doing a great job for a fellow member and not just doing another shop job.

John
All's well in the Deep South of Vermont; thanks for your thoughts.
Beekeeping, Maple sugaring, sawmilling, chainsaw and sawmill repair, building bee hives; when I stopped looking forward with curiosity to the next final drive project, I stopped doing them for free, and then eventually started declining some of the inquiries.

To reply to some of the posts in this thread:
I stopped doing rebuilds for free some time ago.
I have also referred a number of folks to Dave (Saddleman).

Sometimes a final drive unexpectedly proves to have a creeping input pinion bearing race, or a spinning tapered roller bearing. These finding can significantly complicate a rebuild and I don't look forward to finding them. Also, I did a preemptive rebuilt on a low mileage FD for a gentleman and his final drive went on to have the "oil coming out the wheel bolt holes" failure; totally unrelated to the replacement of the crownwheel bearing, but I is understandably a disappointment for him to pay me for a preepmtive crownwheel bearing rebuild and then have an unrelated failure that basically makes the FD unrepairable. In short, unexpected findings in the FDs is frustrating and takes some of the fun out of it.

That said, I still will occasionally take one on, and have replied to the PM sent by the original poster (Dan) in this thread.

I still haven't heard of any of my crownwheel bearing rebuild going on to fail again. (Knock on wood.)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Thanks for the assurance that all is well, Curtis. Ole Toad sends regards for the FD rebuild we're enjoying - amazing how a ride goes when one isn't constantly thinking of 'strandment' or 'towment'!! ;)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Good to hear that all is well with you Curtis! And can totally understand the feeling of not enjoying it anymore if it becomes too much like work instead of a hobby.

John

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Good to hear that all is well with you Curtis! And can totally understand the feeling of not enjoying it anymore if it becomes too much like work instead of a hobby.

John
+1 and then some!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.