BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M tires and all I can say is WOW! I have been trying for months to decide on which tire I was going to replace the Metz with and I decided on the Avons. Well had them installed this afternoon and after a careful road test (new tires and it was raining), I can tell a world of difference, of course I know I am comparing Old tires vs. New but I have not forgotten what the Metz felt like when they were new. I will try to update as we go along. But thank everyone who has piped in with information and helped me make up my mind. Also hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:wave

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M tires and all I can say is WOW! I have been trying for months to decide on which tire I was going to replace the Metz with and I decided on the Avons. Well had them installed this afternoon and after a careful road test (new tires and it was raining), I can tell a world of difference, of course I know I am comparing Old tires vs. New but I have not forgotten what the Metz felt like when they were new. I will try to update as we go along. But thank everyone who has piped in with information and helped me make up my mind. Also hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:wave

Would appreciate pictures of thread pattern AND the marking on side (for weight certification). Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would appreciate pictures of thread pattern AND the marking on side (for weight certification). Thanks!
Go to American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire look up size 160/70-17 for rear (79V) and 120/70 -17 (58W) for front. Then look at the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires. They have a good picture of tires and specs. If this does not work, let me know and I will be glad to send pictures but it will be a few days since I will be away from home.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What pressures are you using in the front and rear tires? I installed a set of the same tires last month and concur with your assessment - Wow! The Avons "felt" much nicer than the Metzlers.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Go to American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire look up size 160/70-17 for rear (79V) and 120/70 -17 (58W) for front. Then look at the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires. They have a good picture of tires and specs. If this does not work, let me know and I will be glad to send pictures but it will be a few days since I will be away from home.
Found the picture on Web site mentionned - thanks!

Also found good pictures on REVZILLA.com:
Avon Storm 3D X-M Tire - RevZilla

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
I'll bet they stick like glue but how long will they last? Waiting...

Wish they made a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT for the LT. I have them on my K1300GT and just love them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What pressures are you using in the front and rear tires? I installed a set of the same tires last month and concur with your assessment - Wow! The Avons "felt" much nicer than the Metzlers.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Someone on forum said 42 front 45 rear so that is what I am going to start with.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Someone on forum said 42 front 45 rear so that is what I am going to start with.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the 42 front, 45 rear was a rule of thumb for Metzlers. Check the sidewall note on the Avon's front and rear. Mine state 42 PSI max pressure cold.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Wish they made a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT for the LT. I have them on my K1300GT and just love them.
John the Avon storm for the LT have worked well for me in the past. VG wet weather tire and good on the juicy tar snakes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the 42 front, 45 rear was a rule of thumb for Metzlers. Check the sidewall note on the Avon's front and rear. Mine state 42 PSI max pressure cold.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Ok I will check and will probably run 42 front and 42 rear. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Look forward to your review re wet weather ,longevity and thick juicy tar snakes.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Ok I will check and will probably run 42 front and 42 rear. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Check the pressure after they get hot and make sure you don't have more than a 10 % increase over the cold pressure. If you do then you need to up the starting cold pressure or you risk overheating the tire. That is a "Max Load" statement not a "Max Pressure" statement on the tire.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check the pressure after they get hot and make sure you don't have more than a 10 % increase over the cold pressure. If you do then you need to up the starting cold pressure or you risk overheating the tire. That is a "Max Load" statement not a "Max Pressure" statement on the tire.
I need little help getting my head around the 10% number. Using a starting cold PSI of 42, the hot temperature PSI reading should be less than 46.2 PSI. Does the 10% rule apply across the cold tire PSI spectrum? For example, if someone were to use a 38 PSI cold reading, as long as the hot PSI was less than 41.8, the 38 PSI is okay?

A 2000 LT has a wet weight of 834 pounds. I weigh 175 pounds for a total of 1009 pounds without my gear when riding. The Avon Storm 3D lists a maximum weight of 963 pounds at 42 PSI cold. I am outside of manufacturer max load tolerances at a 42 max cold PSI. With this in mind, what should the cold starting PSI number be?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I need little help getting my head around the 10% number. Using a starting cold PSI of 42, the hot temperature PSI reading should be less than 46.2 PSI. Does the 10% rule apply across the cold tire PSI spectrum? For example, if someone were to use a 38 PSI cold reading, as long as the hot PSI was less than 41.8, the 38 PSI is okay?

A 2000 LT has a wet weight of 834 pounds. I weigh 175 pounds for a total of 1009 pounds without my gear when riding. The Avon Storm 3D lists a maximum weight of 963 pounds at 42 PSI cold. I am outside of manufacturer max load tolerances at a 42 max cold PSI. With this in mind, what should the cold starting PSI number be?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Your front should be 58 load rating, 504 pounds, if I remember right for a total weight capacity of approx 1467 pounds

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
John, that was exactly my premise on a previous thread! The rating is a max load. My question was what is max pressure? I had a respected long time dealer/racer tell me they did a test and ran the pressure up to 300 psi (while in a cage) and the tires did not unseat themselves. He told me that after that, he never worried about seating pressures. I will name names in a private message.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
The 10 % rule is from racing days, you want the right starting pressure so the tire will heat up and grip better without over heating (worse than over pressure). So choose your starting pressure to achieve the 10 % when hot.

The weight is OK since you will not be doing wheelies all day the load will be divided between the front and rear tires. With more to the rear during acceleration and more to the front during braking. But static it is a 50 50 split.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
The 10 % rule is from racing days, you want the right starting pressure so the tire will heat up and grip better without over heating (worse than over pressure). So choose your starting pressure to achieve the 10 % when hot.

The weight is OK since you will not be doing wheelies all day the load will be divided between the front and rear tires. With more to the rear during acceleration and more to the front during braking. But static it is a 50 50 split.
I never thought about the weight on the rear tire when I'm riding a wheelie on my LT. :wow:

·
Registered
242 Posts
So, no wheelies with fat girls on back?

·
Registered
634 Posts

No matter what tar I run, I always seem to burn out the front first... (on the LT)

been running storm2's

bout ready to try the new 3D x-m

have you tried a pilot road 4 on the front only? (on the LT)

some guys don't like to mismatch tars..... never bothered me.

hell, when I burn out my front tire, I spoon on a spare avon distanzia to get me by until the rear is gone... :histerica

makes a little noise but gets the job done....

actually, gonna throw the distanzia on today....

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have long term exposure with the 3d-xm up front on my LT. After 2 of them, I am going back to the Storm 2 until I cant find them anymore. I went from getting 8000-9000 per front down to 4500-5000. It works well while it lasts but so did the 2. Watch my video to see the wear. Kudos to Avon for replacing the 3 under warranty but I really dont like changing so soon. I think it was designed with a lighter bike in mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msj-vgCjHXM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts