BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to Lansdale Bike Night last night, which is billed as the Sturgis of the East, a slight exaggeration, but none the less, they do get about 30-40,000 people for a one night event.

Reason I went was the pulled pork sandwiches. A man's gotta eat you know. Two sandwiches one pulled pork, the other a burnt end, two walk arounds, and it's time to go home.

The people that did stop at look at my bike made basically the same comments, "Man, that's a big bike." " I didn't know BMW made motorcycles." "That's huge!".

Anyhow, all those people did come on motorcycles, and as I walked around the entire area, and saw perhaps, 10,000 motorcycles (They are parked on both sides of Main St. for about 1/2 mile, and parked on both sides of every side street in town), the only LT I saw was mine.

There were a respectful number of sport bikes (no BMWs), and a handful of Gold wings, but only one LT.

Now, one LT in 10,000 bikes tells me the LT may be the best kept secret in the motorcycle community.

Is that ratio about right, 1LT per 10,000 bikes?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to agree with you about how rare our LTs are. I bought my LT about 3 weeks ago and yet have not seen another. Every time I go to bike night I hope to see another but no luck yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
LT Ratio

stefeb said:
Went to Lansdale Bike Night last night, which is billed as the Sturgis of the East, a slight exaggeration, but none the less, they do get about 30-40,000 people for a one night event.

Stefab... I don't know what the ratio is but this is exactly why I choose to ride a BMW. There aren't 10,000 of them everywhere you go. I see you have a HD background so don't take this the wrong way..... Does anyone ever turn thier head to give a Harley a second look?

BTW, where is this event? Its an easy ride for me from NNJ and we might just have 2 LTs show up.
Bob

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drifter36 said:
Stefab... I don't know what the ratio is but this is exactly why I choose to ride a BMW. There aren't 10,000 of them everywhere you go. I see you have a HD background so don't take this the wrong way..... Does anyone ever turn thier head to give a Harley a second look?

BTW, where is this event? Its an easy ride for me from NNJ and we might just have 2 LTs show up.
Bob
Lansdale, PA. A search on MapQuest would give you better directions than I could. It'd be great to have 2 LTs there. :bmw:

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
I'm not sure the LT to other bikes ratio is the one that is important.

It appears you have stumbled across a frequently demonstrated ratio -- the Poser to Motorcyclist ratio. :D

A poser's fourth most popular saying is "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles"

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
eljeffe said:
I'm not sure the LT to other bikes ratio is the one that is important.

It appears you have stumbled across a frequently demonstrated ratio -- the Poser to Motorcyclist ratio. :D

A poser's fourth most popular saying is "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles"

OK... I'll bite. What are the first three? :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
Let me guese

Keith said:
OK... I'll bite. What are the first three? :D
One of them has to be "Loud obnoxious pipes save lives" got to be one.

Another one might be you are destroying America by buying that foreign crap!!

What else ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
drifter36 said:
Stefab... I don't know what the ratio is but this is exactly why I choose to ride a BMW. There aren't 10,000 of them everywhere you go. I see you have a HD background so don't take this the wrong way..... Does anyone ever turn thier head to give a Harley a second look?.
Bob

Man, you had to LOVE the Edsel!

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
#1 - Loud Pipes Save Lives
#2 - I don't need a helmet (or gear)
#3 - something about anything other than a Harley isn't really a motorcycle

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
All American?

rkirker said:
Another one might be you are destroying America by buying that foreign crap!!
You mean like the Showa front forks and the Hitachi starters that come stock on every HD :)
I could name more, but what's the use?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
stefeb said:
Now, one LT in 10,000 bikes tells me the LT may be the best kept secret in the motorcycle community.

I went for a little ride this morning out in the Texas Hill Country. All back roads of course. about 3 hours and 150 miles later I have seen about 40 to 50 bikes today. No counting the 15 or so HD's parked at a gas station over half of the bikes I saw where BMW's and 5 or 6 where LT's. So it must be a "Regional Thing" just not many LT's in your reagion :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just finished a 4400 mile odyssey to WVa and back fromn Las Vegas..Saw about 10 BMW's and, I think, 3 LT's on the Interstates during my 14 day ride..Around here in Las Vegas I've come across 2 other Lt's..One at a stoplight near Green Valley Resort and the other going same direction on the freeway(he passed me)..

Guess they're not so scarce here..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just went for a little 70 mile ride to try out the new Corbin, had to clear my head after the KC Chiefs game(bengals suck). Anyway I passed 3 BMWs a GS, an LT and an RT on I-70.

·
Registered
253 Posts
3 weekends ago, I took a 1400 mile trip up the center of Michigan, all around the Upper Peninsula, back down the West side of the state then across the Southern end back to Detroit. Saw many BMW’s…mostly RT’s and GS’s and 3 older K1100LT’s No other 1200LT’s in 3 days. Seems to be pretty rare around Michigan, I guess.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
No idea of the ratio of LTs to motorcycles either, butt for you folks that have replied to this thread, using your home state - here is the forums membership count for those members who have elected to fill out their profile. Doesn't mean that each owns an LT nor even a BMW - so no basis for anythang of substance - just a rough count.

MI = 67
PA = 63
OH = 90
NJ = 39
KS = 15
TX = 280
CA = 466

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dick said:
No idea of the ratio of LTs to motorcycles either, butt for you folks that have replied to this thread, using your home state - here is the forums membership count for those members who have elected to fill out their profile. Doesn't mean that each owns an LT nor even a BMW - so no basis for anythang of substance - just a rough count.

MI = 67
PA = 63
OH = 90
NJ = 39
KS = 15
TX = 280
CA = 466
Cool Dick. 15 members in KS, must be in the Eastern half. I think I have the only LT west of Salina though. Till you get to the Colorado border anyway.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well when I get back to visit my relatives in Plainville and Hays there will be two! I was almost there last week, my uncle died and I would have been at his service but I had to be in court.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dick said:

MI = 67
PA = 63
OH = 90
NJ = 39
KS = 15
TX = 280
CA = 466
Has there ever been a PA/OH Regional Rally? Seems like there's enough LTs to make it a fun event, seeing how we're almost neighbors ;)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
stefeb said:
Has there ever been a PA/OH Regional Rally? Seems like there's enough LTs to make it a fun event, seeing how we're almost neighbors ;)
I wouldn't call it a "rally", but we did have had LTs from OH, IN, and PA at my place at the same time... during a Tech Session in June. Last month, we had LTs from OH, IN, and NC.

Hmmmmm.... this gets me to thinking: a regional LT Rally? We could do that... would depend on the interest shown, # of attendees, etc.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts