BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2001 K1200LT since November last year and done a good few miles on it so far, however I have suffered from the well known heavy throttle problem and eventually stumped up a silly amount of cash for the 'upgrade' changing to the post 2005 setup.

Before I did the mod I thought, in all the threads on the subject I have read that it makes a big difference but just what is the difference ? Could I quantify it ?

So before fitting the mod I did some measurements. Not having a low number torque wrench I used an oil filter strap wrench around the twistgrip, a socket wrench, a wire coat hanger and some sockets, plus the wife's kitchen scales. See the attached picture.

I did the measurements first on my Norton Command as this has a light throttle and I thought it would give me something to compare against.

On the Commando the torque required to start the throttle moving is 88gM (That is 88 Gram metres).

On the BMW before the new cables this was a hefty 223gM

After the mod is came down to 109gM

So this means the new throttle requires less than half the torque of the old setup. and it is now not much more than the single carb Commando.

Calculation:-
Socket wrench weight = 541g
Socket wrench length from centre of twistgrip to end = 250mm
Weights (coat hanger + sockets) = 165g

Torque = (541/2 + 165) /4 = 109

Well I found it interesting ...

Will ride tomorrow and see what it feels like.

Tony

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Cool!

:bike: :clapping: :clapping: :bike:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
My 2004 with original (160,000 miles) rerouted throttle cables have less resistance than my 2000 with the upgraded new style cables. The next time I have my 2000 & my 2004 apart I'll reroute the 2000 cables. I'll need both bikes apart at the same time because I can't remember how I routed the 2004 cables.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Pretty ingenious setup! I made the change but had the bike down for 6 weeks and couldn't remember how it felt before the change, other than to know it was better.

Thanks,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not for nothing..
I felt mine was really hard to roll,didn't really snap back good on it's own either.
Today I pulled the cover off the throttle and sprayed it with wd-40.
Huge diff!
I'm going to get some lithium based grease next. :dance:

For kicks i took the fairing off of one side..top and bottom.
Not to bad a job..still couldn't see much!
Actually I was looking for that cruise switch.

·
Registered
747 Posts
saddleman said:
My 2004 with original (160,000 miles) rerouted throttle cables have less resistance than my 2000 with the upgraded new style cables. The next time I have my 2000 & my 2004 apart I'll reroute the 2000 cables. I'll need both bikes apart at the same time because I can't remember how I routed the 2004 cables.

When you get done, PLEASE, pictures.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had the cables on my 2002 replaced by a BMW dealership and there isn't much difference from the old ones. It's still pretty hard to twist the throttle. :( What are some things I can check that might make it better?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It still rolls to closed, but is heaviest I've felt on any bike I've ridden. Had 10 miles stop and go city driving when got back and could feel it in my wrists and forearm when got home.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
wolfie3491 said:
It still rolls to closed, but is heaviest I've felt on any bike I've ridden. Had 10 miles stop and go city driving when got back and could feel it in my wrists and forearm when got home.
Until you can get it sorted to your satisfaction, try using a throttle-rocker.... cheap investment and takes the pressure off your wrist by using the palm of the hand to help open the throttle. http://throttlerocker.com/

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bones1955 said:
Not for nothing..
I felt mine was really hard to roll,didn't really snap back good on it's own either.
Huge diff!

I would not recommend using any grease simply because it will catch sand and grit and make things worse after a while. A dry lube for locks or guns would be a better choice.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Bones1955 said:
Not for nothing..
Huge diff!

The inner liners on the cables can swell from any petroleum products & could make it worse after a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts