BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spending little time on the internet I would like to tap this board’s wisdom.
I have decided to sell the 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible GT Turbo. I Listed it in the Auto Trader. Received a response from a buyer.
Now I know this has to be a scam but would like to know how it works. He wants to buy the car send me the money I want plus and additional amount to pay his shipper when the car is picked up.
What are your thoughts on this?

Just trying not to down shift into stupid

Slider

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't bite on it... It's one of the most common scams on the Internet!

A money order or cashiers check they send you (by UPS or Fedex, so they can't be prosecuted for mail fraud) will be bogus. They want you to take the 'certified check' to your bank, cash it, deduct the money for your car and forward the rest of the cash on to another address. A couple of days later, the bank notifies you that the check bounced, and you're out whatever amount you sent on to the other address. There's no way to recover your loss because the money has gone to an overseas bank in a country that doesn't cooperate with the USA.

Even if you wait for the check to clear and don't forward any money to the other address, your own bank may still charge you a handling fee for processing the bogus check.

Just another example that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts