BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just picked up my LT Friday night and noticed a loud ticking sound at idle. any speed above idle the sound go's away. Ideas here?? could it be low oil? I tried to look at the site glass but with the afternoon glare I could not tell if it was low or not.
This thing rides great! Also it looks like the front wheel has some baked on brake dust. Any ideas for removal. I tried regular car wash liquid and a brush with no luck.
Thanks,
Hip

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Hip,
Welcome to the wonderful world of the LT. I would bet The noise you are hearing is the injectors. Put the bike on its center stand and check the oil level with a flashlite. It should be in the center of the glass while on the center stand. If good just ride it and enjoy. The Lt engine is bullet proof and its rare to have engine problems.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Brian's advice is just the tiniest bit off.

The Oil level should be in the vicinity of the center of the site glass when on the SIDE stand. When on the CENTER stand it should be a the top of the site glass.

The K engine is notoriously noisy. This is just one of the many normal noises you'll encounter. Most all of them are that, normal..

Enjoy

John

John

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
My manual says to check it on the center stand.
The middle red dot is perfect. The top of the site glass is the upper limit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What he said. many call the beemers sewing machines because of that whirring, clicking, purring sound. after a few years it is a soothing sound to me now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check that today before my ride. Thank you!
Michael, I like that Max-Headroom Avitar!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Since it is a 2000, the oil sight glass may be clouded so much that you cannot see the oil level, a rather common problem at high mileage. The sight glass is about $15, and can pretty easily be replaced. Melt a hole in the plastic with a soldering iron, use a sharp punch to make a hole in the sheet metal back, drive a sheet metal screw in the hole, then pry the unit out. Lightly oil the new one, and drive it in with a rubber mallet and a socket the right size.

The oil level should be between the red center dot and the top of the glass on the centerstand.

There is one failure that can cause loud tapping, broken exhaust header pipes. They sometimes break off inside the flange that bolts into the head. Can be re-welded.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The alternator can also make a bit of noise at idle if you have auxiliary lights. Try turning them off and see if it goes away.

·
Banned
588 Posts
hip001 said:
Hey Guys,
Also it looks like the front wheel has some baked on brake dust. Any ideas for removal. I tried regular car wash liquid and a brush with no luck.
Thanks,
Hip
Try a cleaner wax or some bug and tar removal. Some people seem to keep their wheels spotless. My 2006 wheels clean up easier than my 2000 wheels. I don't know if it is an age problem or they changed the paint.

I just read this hint on Craiglist.com.
I've used WD-40 for years to clean brake and road dirt off car and motorcycle wheels. It works great! Don't spray the WD-40 directly on the wheels though. Spray it on a rag and then wipe your wheels. Then use Windex to wipe off the film and you're good to go!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Best wheel cleaner i have ever used is that Swarfega spray stuff, comes in a container a bit like Windex and has a brush with it. Works a treat, spray it on, leave for 5 mins and it all just washes off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna try some different things this comming weekend.
hip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts