BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an audio buff all my life I always wanted to build my own speakers, and in particular horn speakers. At first I procrastinated a looong time, then I forgot what I wanted for an even longer time, then I thought I couldn't do it, and finally a few months ago I started the project again.

After a while I settled on a pair of Sachiko horn speakers, started to buy material, order the drivers, read up on everything and I converted two rooms in our house to "workshop".

This is my first project of this magnitude and for that they didn't turn out too bad. everything that I don't like is in how the cabinets look like, and not how they sound. when I finally got them finished and set up yesterday I am very impressed in how they sound, how much we didn't hear with our old speakers (on the mantle next to the Sachiko)

The Sachiko's stand 72" tall, weigh approx 70 lbs each, are build from birch ply (not the REALLY good baltic birch, they didn't have that when I went shopping). I use a Fostex FE207e (8" full range) as the driver and installed phase cones in the speakers.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics, just some cell phone pics taken as I ran out this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Interesting..

But, Wouldn't you really rather be rocking a pair of these ?

I also used to have some Carlson type enclosures with a JBL horn and 15 in them.. They were as nice as my L200's were..But these L65's have the "sweet JBL sound" baby..

Harmon Kardon Citation Eleven preamp.
Harmon Kardon Citation Fifteen tuner
Nikko Alpha power amp..
JBL L65's
Dual 1219 etc,,,

John

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't like 3 and 4 way speaker systems. Getting the transition from one speaker to the next correct without phase problems is next to impossible and once you have experienced the definition of a real wide band full range driver there is no going back.

In theory each one of those speakers has the potential being "better" than a full range, but in reality those phase problems, which plague every single multi driver system make them sound worse. You'd just have to experience the clearness of a single drive horn enclosure. When you can hear each and every distortion the piano brought on, and not the distortion your speaker systems create.

I was listening to to some great classical pieces yesterday, and I was delighted to hear the ever so slight vibrations of the piano when they played low notes on the piano. THAT clear definition was what I was after.

In comparison, my amp is rather puny, currently I am using a Denon 583, but for real listening I may break down after a while and go for a double or quad parallel tube amp. (stay away from the push-pull, they have always problems in the hand over and create a higher amount of distortions)

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
andy said:
Being an audio buff all my life I always wanted to build my own speakers, and in particular horn speakers. At first I procrastinated a looong time, then I forgot what I wanted for an even longer time, then I thought I couldn't do it, and finally a few months ago I started the project again.

After a while I settled on a pair of Sachiko horn speakers, started to buy material, order the drivers, read up on everything and I converted two rooms in our house to "workshop".

This is my first project of this magnitude and for that they didn't turn out too bad. everything that I don't like is in how the cabinets look like, and not how they sound. when I finally got them finished and set up yesterday I am very impressed in how they sound, how much we didn't hear with our old speakers (on the mantle next to the Sachiko)

The Sachiko's stand 72" tall, weigh approx 70 lbs each, are build from birch ply (not the REALLY good baltic birch, they didn't have that when I went shopping). I use a Fostex FE207e (8" full range) as the driver and installed phase cones in the speakers.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics, just some cell phone pics taken as I ran out this morning.

Cool project Andy! In former life I sold home audio and home theater systems. I really liked the sound and the efficiency of the Klipsch horn speakers.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Somewhere around here I've got a schematic for a really good Class A tube amp...

Now you've got me itching to build a couple...

Back in the 70's I ran a little FM station in Muskogee..
Everything was tubes.. And I kept that IPA and that Gates 25KW PA balanced perfectly..
That little station had the sweetest sound during those days.. You just can't get that from digital anything...

The JBL's are pretty well phase aligned...I understand what you're saying about the single driver though. I built some folded boxes using a 6X9 when I was a kid. I always thought they sounded awfully good for what I had in them. ..I'm sure the 8's sound good in that enclosure...How did you tune it ??

John

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Interesting design. Doesn't MDF have better sound characteristics than plywood given that it's much less prone to resonate?

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jayjacobson said:
Could you go into the design specs, Andy? What is a "sachiko horn" speaker?

I found these specs online. Similar to yours?

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Sachiko-map-1v01-220309.pdf
Thats the one Jay. Just recently I have found a funny thing called "the internet" On this "internet" you can find forums for just about anything you could wish for. One of those things are horn enclosures and some folks with MUCH more understanding that me have already figured out what works and what doesn't. Sachiko is one of the concepts that works (I can tell they work!!) For anyone interested in that take a peek at http://www.frugal-horn.com Thats where one can find ready calculated enclosure plans and on the diyaudio.com forums all the discussion are there for the reading, just like our forums.

Basically, Sachiko is an Olson style, stepped, back load horn.

kdog said:
Interesting design. Doesn't MDF have better sound characteristics than plywood given that it's much less prone to resonate?
I could not say with any kind of authority. I guess this is the same discussion as dino vs. synthetic oil. *I* used birch because I like the look of wood, and birch is the type of material suggested by most, including the ones that do seem to know what they are talking about, so that's what I was using.

Now since these turned out so well, I have two more projects: another set for the bedroom and a third set for the den ... I do think though al least the next set will be a set of Chang's, maybe with a slightly smaller driver. Neither the bedroom nor the den are big enough to handle a Sachiko.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
andy said:
.....Just recently I have found a funny thing called "the internet" On this "internet" you can find forums for just about anything you could wish for.....
Oh my! I better stay away from this "internet," then. Sounds like voodoo that will just get me in trouble.....:eek:

In between "getting in trouble" sessions, I did notice an interior similarity between the speakers you built and Bose speaker design. Hhmmmmm :think:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Very cool Andy! Look forward to hearing them sometime! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The variety of talent and expertise on this board never ceases to amaze me. Well done, Andy.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Cool project Andy. Wish I could hear them live.

Ted Shred said:
In former life I sold home audio and home theater systems. I really liked the sound and the efficiency of the Klipsch horn speakers.
^^^ This! They're my favs! I know I guy who used to have a pair. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
messenger13_ver2 said:
Cool project Andy. Wish I could hear them live.
you wouldnt like them. Too much clarity. too exact reproductions of sound ... just listening to Acoustic Alchemy. Sounds better than life.

And ... since I got the workshop set up ... I started a pair of BVR horns. They should be even better with my driver.

Come by Dave, I might need your expertise for my next project anyway.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ted Shred said:
Cool project Andy! In former life I sold home audio and home theater systems. I really liked the sound and the efficiency of the Klipsch horn speakers.
-KLIPSCH HORN SPEAKERS-
From 1980 to about 1984 I worked part-time at an independent stereo Hi-Fi shop. For a second job, I LOVED it! I couldn't keep up with the long term "full timers" who worked there, as their knowledge was immense and intense. I too fell in love with the Klipsch speakers. Very efficient and dynamic. I have 5 Klipsch La Scala's in my TV/ listening room. Horns are nice! d.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Was this the project you were working when you nearly cut off your entire hand? :wow:

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually it was the next project, but it was/is a horn enclosure as well. I guess that will have to wait for a while.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
NOTE TO DAVE:

If you go help Andy on the 'next project', use a push stick................... ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own two Klipsche conerhorns. i have still not found a better sound. your design looks very interesting. i would love to hear them some time.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Palerider said:
NOTE TO DAVE:

If you go help Andy on the 'next project', use a push stick................... ;)
Umm ... wow.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
namrehwp said:
I own two Klipsche conerhorns. i have still not found a better sound. your design looks very interesting. i would love to hear them some time.
You are welcome to a test listen any time.

One of the main differences between a Klipsch horn and the Olsen style horns is that a Klipsch horn has to stand in the corner of the room in order to take full advantage, Olsen style horns do not have to be in the corners of the room.

And as for the push stick: In reality it wasn't a table saw, but a radial arm saw. Anyway, Given how badly this could have gone it went relatively "benign"

BUT, that doesn't change the sound of the Sachiko's I am almost done with the burn in of the drivers and it is refreshing to hear how they open up more and more every day. Just ordered a second pair of drivers, which should be even better for this enclosure: FE206ESR (limited edition with silver coil for a little bit better transient behavior)

After they arrive (approx 4-5 weeks) the FE207's will go into the "next project" which happens to be a set of BVR horns, which are just a tad shorter (60" instead of the 72" of the Sachiko's)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts