BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess it is that time of year. I can't ride as much as I would like due to the weather. I don't mind riding in the rain, but it kind of sucks when its all day for days on end. Takes the fun out of the ride.
So, I ordered some stuff. Tires are getting down to the point I feel they need replacing. I have around 10K on the Metz combo and they were OK, but not good on tar snakes. After much internal debate and reading about 40 tire threads, I decided on BT-020 (79V) for the rear and Metz 880 (58V) front. I guess time will tell if I made the right choice, I hope so, I listened to you all.
I ordered the fuel line kit a month back and then I ordered the 24K service kit from Beemer Boneyard. I also installed a 55W 5000K HID kit 2 weeks ago, very nice.
So, about $400 poorer, but the LT should be ready for the year of riding. I guess it is OK, if I paid the dealer for all of this I would be thousands poorer.
Time to roll it up on the new HF Motorcycle lift and get to work. :dance:

·
Registered
506 Posts
So, about $400 poorer, but the LT should be ready for the year of riding. I guess it is OK, if I paid the dealer for all of this I would be thousands poorer.
I'm right there with you. Been doing a lot of work and installing a lot of upgrades. Sometimes I think about the money going into it but then quickly realize how much I am saving over taking it to the dealer. Another positive is I know exactly how it is being worked on. Not all guys wrenching at some of the shops take the care an owner will on his own bike. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure it is not too bad, I have put 9K miles on this bike since July 5th and this is the first real money I have had to spend on it. I have done oil changes and some other fluids, but nothing else.
I love this bike an it is worth spending a little on. I would have had to put that or more into a car + twice the gas and half the fun of the LT.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Merry Christmas to me, I just ordered a new First Gear Winter riding suit and a new Modular helmet. Should help me keep the riding season going a little bit longer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well Merry Christmas to me, I just ordered a new First Gear Winter riding suit and a new Modular helmet. Should help me keep the riding season going a little bit longer.
Sounds better than my $200 worth of parts that I just ordered for my 2005, but I was happy to get them on sale so save a few bucks.

Enjoy the new gear. FirstGear makes some nice stuff. What helmet did you go with? I currently have a Scorpion EXO900 modular. Been a good helmet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

Where are you located? I'm in Washougal, WA (near Vancouver, WA) and work in Portland. I have been waiting until the weather gets really bad to do my winter maintenance. Have the kit (plugs, air/fuel filter, etc.) but not looking forward to tearing her down to get to those things. Plus I still ride to work as 2-3 times per week.

I also just went to a modular helmet w/Bluetooth and am pretty happy with it. Very convenient. I do get weird looks when I'm at a red light in the morning, flip up my helmet and take a few sips of coffee from my travel mug but that's okay.

I too have a First Gear two piece suit and it has worked well in the wet weather. Just added a First Gear heated jacket liner with wireless remote and it like it better than the heated vest I was using (only two rides with it so far).

Anyway, if you want to get together sometime and do some riding let me know. I normally head south or east, but have been thinking about exploring up north at some point (Orcas Island this summer most likely). Also planning a long trip to Tahoe towards the end of summer.

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
I come down ever so often from Yakima. My adult kids live in Vancouver and always looking for an excuse to visit. Always a nice ride over Satus Pass and down the gorge.

Will have to connect for a ride this coming year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Where are you located? I'm in Washougal, WA (near Vancouver, WA) and work in Portland. I have been waiting until the weather gets really bad to do my winter maintenance. Have the kit (plugs, air/fuel filter, etc.) but not looking forward to tearing her down to get to those things. Plus I still ride to work as 2-3 times per week.

I also just went to a modular helmet w/Bluetooth and am pretty happy with it. Very convenient. I do get weird looks when I'm at a red light in the morning, flip up my helmet and take a few sips of coffee from my travel mug but that's okay.

I too have a First Gear two piece suit and it has worked well in the wet weather. Just added a First Gear heated jacket liner with wireless remote and it like it better than the heated vest I was using (only two rides with it so far).

Anyway, if you want to get together sometime and do some riding let me know. I normally head south or east, but have been thinking about exploring up north at some point (Orcas Island this summer most likely). Also planning a long trip to Tahoe towards the end of summer.

Chris
I would love to get together for a ride, I happen to have a very open schedule right now. I have been wanting to explore the Olympic Penn. I plan to get out there some time soon. One of the reasons for the new gear. The Helmet is an IV2 Dual Visor Modular.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts