BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to a local chapter tech day and did the routine 12k service on my LT, air and fuel filter, spark plugs and the valve check. All clearances were within spec. Bike was produced in 3/04 and just turned over 12,860 miles. It seems to have more pep and better throttle response now.

Anyway, the hardest part was reinstalling the right side bolt for the fuel tank that also secures the bracket for the rider's seat. I and two others were twisting and turning and jiggling around to get the bolt to line up with seat bracket, fuel tank and hole in the frame. Is there any special trick for doing this?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
kimokk said:
Well I went to a local chapter tech day and did the routine 12k service on my LT, air and fuel filter, spark plugs and the valve check. All clearances were within spec. Bike was produced in 3/04 and just turned over 12,860 miles. It seems to have more pep and better throttle response now.

Anyway, the hardest part was reinstalling the right side bolt for the fuel tank that also secures the bracket for the rider's seat. I and two others were twisting and turning and jiggling around to get the bolt to line up with seat bracket, fuel tank and hole in the frame. Is there any special trick for doing this?

Thanks.
when I had trouble lining mine up with difficulty found one of the rubber inside isolation bushings was out of place
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Make sure that the other mounting bolts are only loosely installed. Not torqued down. And do be careful to not strip the threads by forcing that bolt. It can be done. I have a Helicoil installed there now.

Patience will win in the end!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AlaskaFish said:
Make sure that the other mounting bolts are only loosely installed. Not torqued down. And do be careful to not strip the threads by forcing that bolt. It can be done. I have a Helicoil installed there now.

Patience will win in the end!

John
Thanks. Our patience was running very thin. I tried all different combinations including no bolts in any of the holes. That seat bracket just didn't want to line up right. Maybe the tank expanded a little from sitting in the sun all day and made the fitting more difficult?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Yes, this is quite common! In the future try to place the tank in some shade if possible and prop it up so that the weight will not allow the sides to spread out from that weight.

BTDT!

John
kimokk said:
Thanks. Our patience was running very thin. I tried all different combinations including no bolts in any of the holes. That seat bracket just didn't want to line up right. Maybe the tank expanded a little from sitting in the sun all day and made the fitting more difficult?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rocketsled said:
FWIW...put a prybar here:

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr
Yep, thanks for the advice. I should have asked the host to borrow a pry bar. That would have worked like a charm. I actually lid a rag in between the seat bracket to use as leverage, same effect.

It looks like you have the same scratch marks on the tank as I do!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
kimokk said:
It looks like you have the same scratch marks on the tank as I do!
I think almost all of us do!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top