BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 2011 RT this morning and so far I am extremely happy. I am used to a cruiser which sits lower to the ground so my perspective is very different on the RT. It seems like the speedometer is reading slow. Have you RT owners found the speedo accurate? I am getting a gps next week, so I will be able to know for sure.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
150flyer said:
I just picked up my new 2011 RT this morning and so far I am extremely happy. I am used to a cruiser which sits lower to the ground so my perspective is very different on the RT. It seems like the speedometer is reading slow. Have you RT owners found the speedo accurate? I am getting a gps next week, so I will be able to know for sure.
Mine is off around 5%. My Nomad was 8% off and the 800 Classic before that about 12%.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I must be very lucky, my Speedo is very close to accurate and have used two GPS”s and it’s spot on.
Now my Tach shows a little high, but really don’t care.
Fun factor way to high!
Twist the Grip! :bmw:

·
Registered
112 Posts
By "reading slow", do you mean you believe you are going faster than what the speedo reads? Most speedo error is the other way - you are going slower than what it reads.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My 2011 is off about 1 MPH at highway speeds. It's very close to dead on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
realworld51 said:
By "reading slow", do you mean you believe you are going faster than what the speedo reads? Most speedo error is the other way - you are going slower than what it reads.

Yes, you are right. It feels like I am going slower than the speedometer reads.

·
Registered
327 Posts
150flyer said:
Mine reads about 4% faster than the GPS. So did my K1200GT.

·
Registered
545 Posts
At highway speeds, compared to gps (two different ones - I've had both a 550 and a 665 on the RT) my '09 reads 2-3mph faster than I'm actually going.

John

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I don't have a gps, I used a radar sign we have in town. My suburban is dead on though...

·
Registered
175 Posts
speed < displayed = no liability.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I believe my GPS... and it shows that the RT spedo is about 8 percent fast... meaning you are always actually slower than the indicated speed.

This subject comes up from time to time and the folklore is that manufacturers are very conservative on indicated speed for liability reasons.

The 8 percent has been reported numerous times.

When I ride, I usually am pushing the posted speeds... and I rely on the GPS, not the speedo.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
150flyer said:
That may be an optical illusion. You said you are coming from a cruiser. The closer to the ground you are, the faster it appears you are moving. When I am on at RT or an LT at 60 mph, I feel like I am travelling much slower than when driving at 60 mph in a Corvette.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
My speedo was off (reading fast) about 7%
When it started acting up, I replaced it with an "authorities speedo" (same price, different part number."
Now it's spot on w/ my GPS

·
Registered
33 Posts
hopz said:
I believe my GPS... and it shows that the RT spedo is about 8 percent fast... meaning you are always actually slower than the indicated speed.

This subject comes up from time to time and the folklore is that manufacturers are very conservative on indicated speed for liability reasons.

The 8 percent has been reported numerous times.

When I ride, I usually am pushing the posted speeds... and I rely on the GPS, not the speedo.
Yes. In some parts of Europe, any speedometer that reads LOWER than the actual speed can result in serious fines levied against the manufacturer. So they build to suit all markets. I got this from the BMW car forums.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got a chance to compare my speedo against a gps. Its less than 1 mph off at the most. I still can't believe how much slower this bike feels at a given indicated speed. If I'm not watching the speedo, I'm always over the speed limit.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My RT speedo reads about 4% higher than the speed my GPS shows. And my GPS seems to track pretty closely to my wife's car. I remember when I was a kid my dad used to swap out speedo driven gears on the cars every time we changed tire size. I think there may still be some old speedo gears from 1960's GM iron kicking around my folks' garage.

JayJay

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was shcoked to discover how accurate my speedo was on my 2007. I had assumed that it was about 8% too fast. I finally got the GPS on it and at 30, its essentially dead on. At 60, its no more than 2 mph (hard to tell exactly, but 2 is the absolute max). At 90, it might reach 3 mph fast and probably a bit less than that.

Before I checked it against the GPS, I could cruise at 80 and tell myself that I was probably really only doing 73 to 75 which is barely over the speed limit. Now that I realize how accurate the speedo is, I have had to slow down a bit.

No... that's a lie. I haven't slowed down. I just get a bit more nervous about Jonny Law noticing me. Traveling at 80 is the best way to stay in the left lane and on I-95, that's the safest place to be for a variety of reasons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts