BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the add.

Just bought a 2000 K1200LT with 19500 miles 3 weeks ago. It was shipped from Oregon to Up State NY about 10 years and put into the back of a garage and never moved. Gas tank was drained before transport.

Watch a lot of Kirk Johnson's Youtube videos.

So far I've changes the oil and filter, new air filter, gas filter, antifreeze. Started right up. Striped out the CB Radio and an old intercom system. The 6 disc CD changer is next. I have new Spiegler brake lines to install , BT20 tires and changing the shaft and transmission oil. Any thing else I'm missing?

Only thing not working is the horn. The fuse is good, number 3 on schematic, works the brake light also, correct? I see from other posts that i need to check the brown ground wire going to the horn. Do the relays really ever go bad?

Can't wait to get it on the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good find!!
Yes, relays can and do go bad. But check the brown wire first. Then look for loose and/or badly corroded connections.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome,

If not already implemented, you'll want to upgrade the plastic fuel line quick disconnects to steel. The plastic will crack and leak.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the add.

Just bought a 2000 K1200LT with 19500 miles 3 weeks ago. It was shipped from Oregon to Up State NY about 10 years and put into the back of a garage and never moved. Gas tank was drained before transport.

Watch a lot of Kirk Johnson's Youtube videos.

So far I've changes the oil and filter, new air filter, gas filter, antifreeze. Started right up. Striped out the CB Radio and an old intercom system. The 6 disc CD changer is next. I have new Spiegler brake lines to install , BT20 tires and changing the shaft and transmission oil. Any thing else I'm missing?

Only thing not working is the horn. The fuse is good, number 3 on schematic, works the brake light also, correct? I see from other posts that i need to check the brown ground wire going to the horn. Do the relays really ever go bad?

Can't wait to get it on the road.
If you didn't do it while you had the tank off, the rubber lines inside the tank sitting dry for 10 years may have taken its toll. They are old to begin with so that would be a good thing to do to prevent being stranded should one burst and they do. Several places now have those hoses and non rubber alternatives. EME also has metal quick disonnects if yours are still plastic which WILL crack and leak.

SUbmersible fuel injection hose from your local parts store. Not formed and can kink with the tight bend if cut short.

Euro Motoelectric

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-hose760.htm
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-uhose808.htm

Or the non rubber alternative

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-hosekit.htm

Or the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts