BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking a chance buying this sight unseen and having it shipped 2000 miles to me. It's my first BMW and I'm looking forward to some nice countryside and mountain road rides with my lovely SO.
This is my first post but I'm thankful for all the info on this forum.

Edit... by sight unseen I mean not seeing it in person. The owner did send me tons of photos and video.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, you know enough about BMW's to know that the OEM brake lines on that bike are way past their expiration date. The internal corrosion of those lines being caused by time not mileage. So if the bike has not already been updated with a nice new set of steel braided brake lines, please do that first. A complete brake fluid flush, and a close inspection of the pads front and rear should get you safely on the road.

So many great LT roads in Canada! You might want to edit your profile to show us where you're from - can be helpful for getting questions answered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, you know enough about BMW's to know that the OEM brake lines on that bike are way past their expiration date. The internal corrosion of those lines being caused by time not mileage. So if the bike has not already been updated with a nice new set of steel braided brake lines, please do that first. A complete brake fluid flush, and a close inspection of the pads front and rear should get you safely on the road.

So many great LT roads in Canada! You might want to edit your profile to show us where you're from - can be helpful for getting questions answered.
Thanks Drone! Yes, I'm afraid to admit how much time I've logged lurking on here and viewing all of the Illinois Motorad videos. I've been wrenching on my own cars and bikes for nearly 40 years and fully anticipate to be spending some time in the garage prepping, maintaining and having tupperware parties.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks Drone! Yes, I'm afraid to admit how much time I've logged lurking on here and viewing all of the Illinois Motorad videos. I've been wrenching on my own cars and bikes for nearly 40 years and fully anticipate to be spending some time in the garage prepping, maintaining and having tupperware parties.
Ah yes, I remember the old Tupperware parties of the 70's. All the ladies would bring cakes and we would have tea.
Oh wait, you mean the plastic bits on bikes. Then the dudes bring meat pies and we drink beer.
You will love the LT. I have an 05 model myself and it's a joy to ride. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I have to echo Drone's comments about the brake lines. I own a 2005 LT as well and that's one of the first things I did, not a difficult upgrade at all but will give you good piece of mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an '05, as well. Bought it with about the same mileage as yours a few years ago. I'm now approaching 70,000 miles. It's been a great bike.

While you're giving it a good going through, check to see if it has the cheap gas quick disconnects and get rid of those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an '05, as well. Bought it with about the same mileage as yours a few years ago. I'm now approaching 70,000 miles. It's been a great bike.

While you're giving it a good going through, check to see if it has the cheap gas quick disconnects and get rid of those.
Thank you. I'll add that to the checklist when the bike arrives... 7 days until delivery.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Also, replace those tiny aluminum like screws that hold on the oil filter cap. A search should reveal the size. Very low torque when they are replaced. Many have snapped them. Be sure to replace the O ring when you remove the cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts