BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hello,

Where can I get the relays that are used in just bob's running lights (or are there alternatives)? I believe those are needed to make the saddlebag lights be both running lights and turn signals.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
PastorSteve said:
:confused: Hello,

Where can I get the relays that are used in just bob's running lights (or are there alternatives)? I believe those are needed to make the saddlebag lights be both running lights and turn signals.

Thanks,
Steve
I'm sure he will chime in a bit, but I had the same issue (one went out) and before I got ahold of him i took it down to a local electronic shop. not a big box, more of a neighborhood one and they pointed the relay out... I think it was all of about $1.10

·
Registered
530 Posts
shoswell said:
I'm sure he will chime in a bit, but I had the same issue (one went out) and before I got ahold of him i took it down to a local electronic shop. not a big box, more of a neighborhood one and they pointed the relay out... I think it was all of about $1.10
Ooooohhhhh.....did you, by chance, get (or can you get us) the part number of the relay? Would Radio Shack carry them?

Thanks! :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Any Bosch type lighting relay should work just fine. Radio Shack, NAPA, any auto parts store will have the relays. Should cost less than $10 retail so should be able to get for less.

Loren

·
Registered
711 Posts
Steve,

Relays are NOT needed to make the saddlebag lights operate as running lights and turn signals. The trick is how you wire it--no special parts needed.

Connect the hot wire from the saddlebag lights to the hot wire on the taillight.

Connect the ground wire from the saddlebag lights to the HOT wire on the turn signal light. Yes, the HOT wire. The saddlebag light will ground through the filament of the turn signal bulb when it's off. When the turn signal is on, it breaks the circuit to the saddlebag light so it blinks alternately with the taillight.

I've been making the saddlebag lights for about 5 years now--since Bob stopped making it. This is how my instructions say to wire it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Unfortunately, making the kits for this is very labor intensive so i've decided to stop producing this kit. If you want to see the instructions, they're online in the Discontinued Products section of my web site. I think Raffy still has a few left if you're interested.

Also, there is a document in the Support section that explains in detail how the saddlebag lights are wired. This may be helpful to you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks for the clairity....my bad....for some reason I was thinking of the turn signals on the back of the bike. I was wondering if there was a way (light or connector) at Radio Shack that makes the turn signals in the back running lights and turn lights (lower brightness to higher brightness).

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry,

Thanks for the info ... much easier!

Steve

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
www.run-n-lites.com has the simplest solution to converting your turn signals (front or rear) to running lights. Inexpensive and easy to install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts