BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello LT enthustists! :wave

My name is Russ and I have been fortunate enough to ride an LT a couple times a year since the spring of 2003. That is when my father (1beemerbob), a long time member here, purchased his 2000 Anthracite beauty. He has been a lifelong ethusiast and purchased (and assembled) his first BMW when I was just a young boy. He worked part time assembling bikes at a Yamaha shop in GA that also sold BMWs. My earliest memories of spending time with him were at the moto-x track.

I am an avid enthusiast of anything that makes noise and goes fast. One of my great pleasures is being a coordinator for Cars and Coffee Williamsburg. We have an event the third Saturday of every month and I get to spend the day with 150-250 people that share my passion and their beautiful machines. Motorcycles are more than welcome, of course. I currently have an Aztec Red 1990 300ZX TwinTurbo with a lot of upgrades and a Black Cherry 2010 370Z Roadster Sport/Touring/Nav that has already started a transformation with bolt on mods and suspension upgrades. I do almost all of my own work and have a background as a nuclear machinist so I have turned a wrench or two.

A few weekends ago, I called my father to ask if I could borrow the LT as my wife an I had been invited on a half day trip to grab brunch and visit a local winery. He stated that I was always welcome to it but it hadn't been started since last year and was burried in the garage. He also mentioned that that last time he attempted to start it, he had not been successful. I spoke with my mother the following day and she told me that he had contemplated getting rid of the LT. I told her to let him know that I would be happy to come over and help him get it running so that he could at least show it.

A few days later, I called to touch base with them and he mentioned the conversation that I had with my mom. He told me very matter of factly "I have decided to get rid of it because I am giving it to you." I was completely dumbfounded... more stunned. All I could manage to say was "Are you sure that's what you want to do?" To which he replied in the same voice I get when I try to get a dinner check from him "YES, I'M SURE" and that was that.

The following weekend I went over to help him dig it out of the garage. By the time I arrived he had the path cleared and was ready to roll it out. My mom asked if I wanted a cup of coffee so I stepped in the house. To my surprise, as I prepared my cup, the LT came to life. After sitting all that time, she woke right up. We did an inspection and filled the front brake resivouir and took her for a quick shakedown ride. Little sputtering but a couple of tanks with Seafoam have cured that.

The rest, as they say, is history. Or rather, will be history. I had forgotten how much I truly love being on two wheels. I could not express my gratitude adequately! Not only for this incredible gift, but for everything you have taught me over the years. I love you, Pop! You can borrow her anytime you like. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
That is a great story and makes me think of all the things my Dad does for me as well. It is funny, I am almost 50 and he is still surprising me like your Dad did you.

Enjoy the bike and ride it with pride like you Dad did.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Russ,
Great story......enjoy your LT.

Glad you're here.....moves me a one notch further away from the "newest kid" status in this group.
JD

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What a wonderful story Russ and a wonderful Dad, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. :wave

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds a lot like my Dad, I'm 49 and miss it a lot dropping in for a coffee but 8000+ kms and ocean makes it harder.
Enjoy the ride and your Dad's company.
Csaba

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
What a great story, it also reminds me of my dad!! :)

Welcome to the forum. This is a great site!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Very happy for you :bmw: when i was 40 my dad called me over to "help do a valve job" on his 94 r1100rs and when we were done he threw the keys to me and said "she is all yours now". Needless to say i was very surprised. Two years later i am now riding an 05 LT and i am VERY happy to be back on two wheels also. ENJOY THE LT!! :dance:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Great story but quit making me miss my dad! :(

Enjoy the ride and welcome.

-Preston

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the welcome! Look forward to meeting some of you in the future. Hope to be able to contribute to the forum and the LT community.

I see that some of you are close enough to join us and share you rides at C&C WB at the Williamsburg Winery. We would love to have you. Last weekend's event was postponed to this Saturday due to the wet weather. I won't make it because I have to fly out to the west coast Friday.

Check out our site... www.carsandcoffeewilliamsburg.com and click our Face Book link.

:bmw:

·
Registered
635 Posts
A great intro story, thanks for sharing and welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Now you've gone and done it. You have to choose which play to to use.

Since I live in Tucson, I no longer own a car.

I plan on keeping my 00 till she hits the 100K mark. Then I'll probably look for a used model that replaces the LT.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
:wave

great story.... you're one lucky lad

No way my sons (I've got 3 of em) are getting my bike....
they trashed one car I gave them.... so the closest they get to the LT is on the back seat... heh, heh...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts