BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good products out there that would allow easy jumping of a dead battery if on the road? I own a 2002 R1150RT and am just trying to be prepared. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Aerostitch is your friend now that you have a serious motorcycle. Item #3524, a pair of jumper cables. Plenty of other stuff you need from there too.
http://www.aerostich.com/jumper-cables.html
Being aware of your battery condition and age will serve you better. So sense heading to New Mexico on a 4 or 5 year old battery unless you absolutely know its condition.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I carry a double ended battery tender cable. All of the people I ride with have battery tender connections and I imagine most other riders out there. I also carry a battery tender x battery clip cable just in case.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I believe that is called a SAE connection. This needs some thought. Be sure to have a fuse in the circuit if you use this. There is potential for large current flows if you hook up to a bike with a low battery or one that is trying to start. :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Battery Tender cable has an inline fuse but your right I should consider the size of the battery tender wire. It should be the same size or bigger than the battery cables on the bike which it is not. My idea needs more thought.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You cannot use a Battery Tender extension cable to actively jump-start a vehicle. It will not handle the current. It can be used to recharge a dead battery but will likely pop the fuse due to the current surge when plugged in to a charged battery. The current flow needs to be regulated to a lower amount than the inline fuse and going directly to another battery will be a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to make jumper cables out of Monster Cable speaker wire, soldered to the ends of small cable clamps (like the kind you find on battery chargers). Then I found I could buy them cheaper online, out of a catalog or at the local cycle store. The only difference is that the ends are not soldered on and tend to work loose over time. Easy to simply heat them up and solder them on. I still have 4 or 5 pair that I made from the Monster Cable 15+ years ago.
The Monster Cable is a lot more flexible than the cheaper cables, so it wads up tight and fits in a tool bag or under a seat. It's what I carry on all my bikes.
The cheaper ones we use for jump batteries around the shop.
If you're jumping a bike that won't start, you need to go directly from battery terminal to battery terminal (or at least from the positive terminal and a good frame engine ground).
On modern bikes, the batteries can be buried and hard to get to. My RT came with a positive terminal that sticks out just under the fuel tank. You have to pull the seat, but at least you can get to it.
If you try and jump your bike through the accessory jack, you risk melting down the wiring due to excessive current draw that the starter will require.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know the BMW starter amp draw but I would guess in the neighborhood of 50 amps, I'll put a meter on it and check it later.

AWG 10 gauge wire is rated for a max of 55 amps
AWG 8 gauge wire is rated for a max of 73 amps

Size your jumper cables accordingly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
New2rt said:
I don't know the BMW starter amp draw but I would guess in the neighborhood of 50 amps, I'll put a meter on it and check it later.

AWG 10 gauge wire is rated for a max of 55 amps
AWG 8 gauge wire is rated for a max of 73 amps

Size your jumper cables accordingly.
I'm betting it is more like 150-200 A, especially on an RT - although you can push a lot of short term current thru wires if they are not too long.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just checked the amp draw using a Fluke meter on cold start.
Peak amp draw during self test with pump cycle was 6.8
Peak amp draw on start was 51.6
The AWG 10 gauge will work fine. If you want to make a set you can purchase bulk jacketed 2 wire 10 gauge cut to length at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Add a set of mini spring clamps and you will be set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts