BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I left something turned on, so Sunday morning I had a dead battery. She kicked over a few times and fizzled. I pressed the button again and nothing happened. Fortunately, there was a boater at the hotel with a jump start gizmo that gave me a boost. When I connected the jump start majic box to the bike it started without pressing the starter button. After a short bit (30 Minutes) I heard this weird noise and discovered the starter was working overtime. I shut off the bike and the starter kept going. So, I turned the key back on, hit the starter button a couple of times and then shut it off again. I figure some of those love bugs must have gotten stuck in the starter button. This time everything turned off. I then restarted the bike , thought briefly about how far from Cedar Key Dave Dragon must live and how I had packed my Anonymous book and could always use it, and with all good prayers everything seemed to work ok. I drove back to Miami ( about 425 miles) with out any troubles. The whole time I kept thinking of all the stuff I've read on this site and thought "solenoid gets stuck" and "hit it with a hammer"
So, what's the best way, aside from taking the battery out and charging it, to jump start the LT? Through the Power outlets, throught the battery tender connections, or just like I did to the battery?

·
Registered
855 Posts
The jump start wasn't your problem, it was trying to start with a weak battery. Jumping to the battery terminals is fine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Weak battery on older LT's cause the starter relay to stick . That is what you saw. A common cure (real cure is replace with upgraded relay) is to start it with a charged battery then hit the starter button till it frees itself - which you actualy did. It is usually good to go once you got it unstuck.

Steve

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I had the exact same problem with mine when I jump started it, and determined it was the relay. I was concerned it would do it again when I put in a new battery, but it was fine.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Yup. The problem is the defective design of the relay BMW used; would have happened if you pushed the bike to start it.

Bob. 0h 0h LT

·
Registered
805 Posts
Offwego said:
So, what's the best way, aside from taking the battery out and charging it, to jump start the LT? Through the Power outlets, throught the battery tender connections, or just like I did to the battery?
Somebody (was it Meese? David Taylor?) had a well thought out procedure for jumping the bike using regular car cables connected to a car's battery. I can't remember all the elements, but do remember that he recommended that the car be turned OFF (don't need the extra input from the car's alternator), that the pos and neg leads to the car battery be put in place, that the neg lead to the bike be put in place either on the neg post or to a good grounding point. Then hold the starter button down and just touch the pos lead to the pos post on the bike battery and hold it there until the bike starts. HTH.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Has been a design flaw for a long time, there are many posts on K bike starter relay contacts welding them selves together.
I had it happen on my K75, would not stop until I undid the ground cable.
I had tryed stalling it in 1st and it started rock crawling with the starter motor.
Rock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts